OL Playoff format Topic

I figured someone had posed this in the past...thanks for bumping this up crimson. 

I don't think adding another wild card dilutes the league at all as suggested by some. In fact, it kind  of strengthens it in that the wild card has a more difficult road to get through the playoffs than the division winners.

With that said, MLB has more teams and the divisions are set and bases primarily on geography.  In WIS, you are randomly thrown into a division. I just joined an OL and for the most part  there are a not a lot of big name Sim HOFers in this league.  In fact, I'd say there are only two--Redwingscup and myself (I'm good in OLs...don't know if I'm a big name HOFer or not, but I am always competetive in OLs).  Anyway, as it turned out Redwing and myself were put into the same division.  In this case, I'm personally happy that there is only one wild card because it may be a crapshoot winning that particular division.  But at the same time, that's kind of the luck of the draw so to speak. 

I guess overall I'd be in favor of the second wild card.  I've had teams with 120 wins that get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs in that short 5 game series vs a wild card team because they got lucky or had Milacki or some other factor.  It would be nice to have that wild card have to use their ace pitcher in that one game playoff to give the edge to the team that was put together better and won all those games. Just my opinion. 

FYI, I've heard rumors that MLB plans to expand again sometime in the near future and add a 4th division to each league which would wipe out the wild card altogether.  Supposedly locations in Mexico and perhaps Puerto Rico and some other cities in the US that are big enough to support a team are being looked at now. 
8/17/2014 10:38 AM
◂ Prev 12
OL Playoff format Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.