New direction here. I am going on the assumption that the football program will survive and play in 2012/2013.

We all agree here, as do many of the espn/tv pundits, everybody in the program has to go. A clean sweep top to bottom.
My question is exactly HOW MANY PEOPLE are we talking about? Coaches, staff, recruiters, sideline doctors, grad assistants, personal assistants, laundry people, lockerroom attendants? How far does the sweep go? How many people does it take to run the program?
And remember the PSU legal department will have to be consulted on each fire/dismissal etc?
11/11/2011 3:07 PM
Why is there any talk of the "death penalty", or the PSU football program not surviving?

This is not a case of NCAA violations.  In fact, it has absolutely nothing to do with the football program at Penn State per se, other than the fact that some of the people involved were incidentally associated with the football program.  This case is about criminal acts and administrative failure on the part of university employees/administrators to appropriately investigate and respond to said criminal acts.

If the people involved were associated with the History department at Penn State, would there be talk that the History department would be eliminated?

11/11/2011 3:30 PM
I don't think the NCAA will do anything.   I think anyone associated with the program before 2003 or so will have to go. 
11/11/2011 3:46 PM
Quote post by silentpadna on 11/11/2011 12:49:00 PM:

Having done that, and without a "horse in race", so to speak, I'm inclined to agree w/ tec regarding the probable knee-jerk firing of Paterno. 

The BoT may have more to go on than we do, and Paterno had to go after his own "I should have done more" comment.

Also his very pompous comments at his news conference. "At this moment the board of trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address.”

Basically telling them he is still in charge and he will tell them when he will leave.

He also opened the school to certain civil charges with his line:
"It is one of the great sorrows of my life, with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.”

That is admission of guilt, whether he realizes it or not.

11/11/2011 4:08 PM (edited)
Quote post by tecwrg on 11/11/2011 3:32:00 PM:
Why is there any talk of the "death penalty", or the PSU football program not surviving?

Some are arguing "lack of institutional control".

It's not paying players, or trading tattoos, or anything related to recruiting, so it may not apply, but it certainly is, by far, the worst example of "lack of institutional control" I think we've ever seen.
11/11/2011 4:09 PM (edited)

Mike London says no thanks to Penn State

It's probably going to be pretty hard to find a taker.

11/11/2011 4:44 PM
I would warn everyone not to judge until the discovery process is completed and we know all the facts.
11/11/2011 4:50 PM
McQ was never going to coach again for PSU.
The BoT has an agenda of people to deal with. After consulting the legal dept, they made the decision to shelve McQ. Every move has to be legally sound first. PSU does not need any potential lawsuits from their own current people. They know they're going to face multiple suits in the coming months...

The BoT has alot of work ahead AND they know one of their last duties will be to resign themselves......
11/11/2011 4:50 PM
I think we're all assuming Sandusky is guilty.   I think there's enough out there for us to make that reasonable assumption.   Beyond that, we're just speculating on who knew what and when.   I think it's fair to assume Paterno either knew more or refused to know more.  And I also think it's fair to assume those above Paterno knew more but didn't want to know it.    McQ is a bit of a wild card but I don't think he started throwing false pedophile accusations at a long-time and respected coach in order to improve his standing in the PSU family. 

After that, it's hard to know much.
11/11/2011 5:00 PM
Posted by philogenemay on 11/11/2011 4:09:00 PM (view original):
Quote post by tecwrg on 11/11/2011 3:32:00 PM:

Some are arguing "lack of institutional control".

It's not paying players, or trading tattoos, or anything related to recruiting, so it may not apply, but it certainly is, by far, the worst example of "lack of institutional control" I think we've ever seen.
"Lack of institutional control" with respect to the NCAA only has to do with enforcement of NCAA rules.

Again, this case has nothing to do with the NCAA, so they shouldn't have any say here.
11/11/2011 5:18 PM

Was waiting on this headline....

Cinder block thrown through window at Sandusky house

By Sam Wood
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
LATEST BREAKING NEWS

Police in State College today said that vandals had attacked the home of former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

Sandusky, charged with 40 counts of sexual abuse against young boys, was not at home Thursday night when two pieces of cinder block went flying through the window of an unoccupied bedroom about 10:20 p.m., police said.

The investigation into the alleged abuse expanded Thursday to Texas as new allegations surfaced alleging Sandusky molested a boy in San Antonio twice in the 1990s.

11/11/2011 5:22 PM
The National Collegiate Athletic Association has nothing to do with school's history department.  But if there was a history department with enough power to harbor a child rapist, block and squash a police investigation of a child rapist over a decade, allowed the child rapist to continue to use their facilities, and turn a blind eye as the child rapist used a children's charity as his base of operations, then yeah, I would be in favor of shutting down that history department.

As it goes, the NCAA will have to step in eventually, once the Big Ten kicks them out of the conference and Penn State cannot find teams willing to fill their schedule, because the student athletes will need to transfer without penalty.

They controlled the police, silenced the victims, possibly got away with murdering a DA, and all in the name of Football.  They occupy their own little city.  This is their religion.  It is a cult.  Joe Paterno is no different than Warren Jeffs. 
11/11/2011 10:15 PM (edited)
Here is a question and it is a serious one: Sandusky is free right now on bail, supposedly he was seen at a Dick's sporting goods in PSU gear, how come this man doesn't commit suicide?  It seems a great chance is being taken by even letting this man go free on bail.  Given everything that has come out, given what the future has in store for him, why has Sandusky not yet committed suicide? thoughts?
11/12/2011 10:46 AM
From all reports he was a man full of ego and personality. One of the victims was quoted as saying that you just don't say no to Jerry.....He's been above the law for decades apparently. Why should all that change for him now?
Sandusky is a coward and opportunist by nature, I bet when the trial is nearing an end....whenever that will be(?), he'll do it.
11/12/2011 11:30 AM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.