According to prosecutors, Penn State had multiple opportunities to stop Sandusky's alleged abuse. In 1998 two boys reportedly came forward to say Sandusky had fondled them in the team's showers. Campus police had eavesdropped on a conversation between Sandusky and one boy's mother. That mother recently described the exchange to local reporter Sara Ganim with the Patriot News.

"He admitted to taking the shower, he admitted to some extent something bad happened," the woman, who was not identified, said. "He asked her for forgiveness. He said 'I probably won't get it from you,' and then he said 'I wish I were dead.'"

The mother said that she was proud of her son, who had the courage stand up to one of the giants of college football, according to Ganim. The boy's allegation led to the three-year grand jury investigation that resulted in sexual assault charges.

11/10/2011 11:20 AM

How in the hell does this woman keep her mouth shut for 13 years?

11/10/2011 11:21 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/09/penn-state-scandal-timeline-jerry-sandusky_n_1084204.html

Reading through this timeline is just ******* sickening.

"Nov. 5, 2011 – Sandusky is arrested and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts."

And why the **** is he out on bail?  Am I crazy in remembering that he molested another kid as recently as a couple of weeks ago?  Why is it ok to release him back out into society?
11/10/2011 11:42 AM
I went to HS outside of Philly in the 80's and quite a few of my friends went to PSU. There was definately an aura or mystique about Paterno/PSU. Plus the school encouraged the "we're better" mantra. We could list many examples...uniforms etc .I can almost liken it to a men in black scenerio.
Pennsylvania is pretty much Philadelphia and to a lesser degree Pittsburgh.Outside of those two cities, It is a very provencial state, lots of small towns and small thinking.

Clearly a massive cover-up took place "for the good of the Blue and White"

As for a mother NOT coming foward, she could have been silenced by the legal community for the good of the case, shame etc.

But that only lasts for so long, it's almost like the PSU and surrounding little areas knew but kept things hushed...
11/10/2011 11:44 AM
The mother could have came forward anonymously(just like now).  I understand wanting to protect her son from the media but, while she kept her mouth shut, Sandusky was doing more of the same to other children.   She may be proud of her soon for coming forward but she should have done more too.
11/10/2011 11:48 AM
Through it all everyone involved may have a reason or 2 not to have come foward, but what about some reporter type wanting to make a name for him/her self not poking around and doing all the research to bring this debaucle to CNN?

As for my MIB theory, JoPa got #409, then this all hit?
11/10/2011 11:52 AM
The biggest travesty IS that he was allowed to keep preying on children.... It astounds me that there was not one bystander trying to get this issue out to a national media?
11/10/2011 11:54 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Really?
The majority of these pedophiles "groom" their targets over a period of time. It goes from seemingly innocent comments and takes its own recruiting path, continually expanding and taking the youth into his/her confidence. This was not a rape issue per say. This was the culmination of a predatory pursuit.
Afterwards, the shame, guilt and need to please the pedophile can take over... C'mon J, I give you abit more credit.
11/10/2011 12:10 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Well, this is why I hate to bring this sort of thing to the forums but I believe he's referring to the difference in size between Sandusky and an average 10 year old boy.   I'd rather not discuss it further than that. 
11/10/2011 12:18 PM
Interesting read from Kate Fagan from Philly.com. It talks about her experience during the U of Colorado football sex scandal.
Yes I know PSU is worse, much worse, but it gives her point of view as a student athlete. She talks of the cocoon like nature that I said is not just at PSU, but all of the outlying communities as well:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/penn_state/20111110_Being_inside_collegiate-sports_bubble_can_warp_values.html
11/10/2011 12:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/10/2011 12:18:00 PM (view original):
Well, this is why I hate to bring this sort of thing to the forums but I believe he's referring to the difference in size between Sandusky and an average 10 year old boy.   I'd rather not discuss it further than that. 
Me too, I hoped he would get the word "groom"..was in quotes for a reason. Ending this here..........
11/10/2011 12:23 PM
I got it chief, thanks. Just didn't agree with it.
11/10/2011 12:25 PM
Posted by bhouska on 11/10/2011 11:19:00 (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 11/10/2011 8:27:00 AM (view original):
very classy move by the PSU students to riot. 
F-ing idiots!
I agree it just brings more shame and embarrassment to the university.

But I can certainly understand their outrage, in that the school fires JoPA but McCreary is still scheduled to coach this weekend.

IMO every person shown to be culpable in the grand jury indictment should be gone today.
11/10/2011 2:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.