Journeyman Progressive League-Season #8...FULL Topic

This will be simple. Choose a player who played for at least 4 teams during his career (and has at least one WIS eligible season with at least 4 teams), has at least 12 WIS eligible seasons, and made 2 or fewer All-Star teams, and never won an MVP or CY award, nor is a serious candidate for the Hall of Fame. We will begin in season 1 for each of these players, in other words, each player's rookie season. You will use the given season for  your chosen player (if the rookie year is 1977, you will use his '77 season), and you can twist any of his teammates from that season. We will go through each journeyman players' career, one season at a time, until we have completed at minimum 12 seasons. 

100 M Payroll, No WW, No AAA, No Trades, No Injuries, Yes to DH (only because many of these players will have played with some of the great DH's of the last 30 years). Use the home stadium of your chosen Journeyman from that season. (77 Orioles would use Memorial Stadium).

Once the 12th season is complete, if any of the chosen players have completed their career, we can take a vote to see if we want to continue going with the league and use alternate players, or end the league there. 

Please ask any questions and make sure to sign up below with your chosen player. First come, first served. I will choose sometime after the 7th owner signs up. 
1.coachgreat1-Mike Cameron
2.reddtrain-Russell Branyan (took over for Vince Coleman in season #8 of the league, beginning with Branyan's 1st season)
3.tabasko-Lyn Lary **new owner for season #8*
4.sevenfifty5-Johnny Allen
5.fatboydad54-Ducky Schofield
6.bigmc-Alan Embree
7.national-Mike Stanton
8.jayminielly-Eric Plunk (took over for Richie Hebner in season #4 of the league, beginning with Plunk's 1st season)
9.spaolo-Merv Rettunmund
10.specsman-Kevin Millwood  **new owner for season #7**
11.sjstapleton-Dick Tidrow
12.toddcommish-Dave Martinez
13.cstrohmier-Mark Koenig
14.reddtrain-Mickey Tettleton
15.ff09-Stan Javier
16.cmb0315-Tommy Davis
17.rugbyman123-Todd Zeile
18.stan74-Roberto Kelly
19.Big_T-Mike Morgan....**new owner for season #2**
20-eastonest-Matty Alou...**new owner for season #5**
21.greggo72-Dave Magadan
22.mamxet-Gus Mancuso
23.horus_6-Jerry Reuss
24.dn3524-Jose Cruz Jr. (Jose Rijo took over for Dock Ellis in season #4 of the league, beginning with Rijo's 1st season...Jose Cruz Jr. took over for Rijo in season #7, beginning w/ Cruz's 1st season)***

NKC 1963

C Earl Battey 585
C/1B John Orsino 430
1B/C Don Pavletich 204
OF/1B Willie McCovey 627
2B Nellie Fox 582
INF Johnny Goryl 174
INF/OF Phil Linz 209
SS Dick McAuliffe 644
OF/3B Don Demeter 560
OF Tommy Davis 597
OF Lenny Green 319
1B/OF Marty Keough 205
OF Dave Nicholson 520

P Ernie Broglio 250
P Galen Cisco 155.2
P Dick Donovan 206
P Jim Duffalo 75.1
P Glen Hobbie 165.1
P Milt Pappas 216.2
P Steve Ridzik 89.2
P Bob Veale 79.2
P Ray Washburn 64.1
P Dave Wickersham 237.2
P Early Wynn 55.1

Cut Doug Camilli
Cut Harry Bright
Cut Chico Fernandez
Cut Bud Daley (IR in 63)
Cut Bobby Tiefenauer

Retire Richie Ashburn

HH 08

C Dioner Navarro 470
1B/OF Kendry Morales 66
INF Rich Aurilia 440
2B Rickie Weeks 560
INF Martin Prado 254
SS Bobby Crosby 605
OF Ryan Braun 663
OF Nelson Cruz 133
OF/2B Scott Hairston 362
OF Adam Lind 349
OF/1B/2B Juan Rivera 280
OF Luke Scott 536
OF Josh Willingham 416

P Jorge De la Rosa 130
P Tom Gorzelanny 105.1
P Edwin Jackson 183.1
P Josh Johnson 87.1
P Kyle Kendrick 155.2
P Anibal Sanchez 51.2
P Kevin Slowey 160.1
P Justin Verlander 201
P Brian Wilson 62.1

Cut Ramon Castro
Cut Boof Bonser
Cut Mike Hampton
Cut Jorge Sosa

IR Rodrigo Lopez
IR Eric O'Flaherty
1/1/2015 4:26 PM (edited)
I'm guessing there will be lots of guys who played for two teams in a given season. Do you get all teammates from both teams to twist?
1/8/2012 3:20 PM
Nah, that's a good question though. Following the lead of a few progressive's similar to this one that I'm a member of, you can choose either team that your player was a part of during that season, and choose their full season (combined stats).

The WIBL Progressive has just finished its 2010 regular season and is in the playoffs. For our 2011 season, we will need 4 new owners as several longtime members have left due to reduced WIS participation.

This is a 24 team league, DH in AL only, draft order is set at Game 120 in a strict worst to first order. We try to play roughly 3 seasons each year, as we take a break between seasons, with the hope being that we can continue the league into the future to at least 2018, maybe later.

The four available teams are as follows...

Seattle Grunge - Safeco Field - 2nd Pick in 2011 Draft - AL West (Yes to DH)

Potential Keepers

C Geovanny Soto
C Yorvit Torrealba
1B/OF Lance Berkman
2B Howie Kendrick
3B Chipper Jones
SS Jason Bartlett
SS Starlin Castro
OF Gregor Blanco
OF Johnny Damon
OF Fred Lewis
OF Cameron Maybin
DH Vladimir Guerrero

P Alfredo Aceves
P Grant Balfour
P Mitchell Boggs
P Randy Choate
P Ernesto Frieri
P Jeanmar Gomez
P Roy Halladay
P Hiroki Kuroda
P Wilton Lopez
P Joe Nathan
P Sergio Romo

Injured Reserve

P Yusmeiro Petit (2013)
P Johan Santana (2012)

Minnesota Twins - Target Field - 4th Pick in 2011 Draft - AL Central (Yes to DH)

Potential Keepers

C Ryan Doumit
C Dioner Navarro
C Ronny Paulino
1B Derrek Lee
2B Jeff Keppinger
3B Juan Francisco
3B Juan Uribe
3B David Wright
SS Reid Brignac
SS Alexei Ramirez
OF Endy Chavez
OF Carl Crawford
OF Ben Francisco
OF Austin Jackson
OF Nyjer Morgan
OF Logan Morrison
OF Seth Smith

P Manny Acosta
P John Axford
P Jonathan Broxton
P Mark Buehrle
P Doug Fister
P Frank Francisco
P Brian Fuentes
P David Herndon
P C.C. Sabathia

Injured Reserve

1B Travis Ishikawa (2012)
P Ronald Belisario (2012)
P Chad Gaudin (2012)
P Andy Pettitte (2012)

Alameda County Choppers - Oakland Coliseum - 17th Pick in 2011 Draft - AL West (Yes to DH)

Possible Keepers

C Mike Napoli
C Matt Wieters
1B Kevin Youkilis
2B Robinson Cano
3B Miguel Cairo
3B Chris Johnson
SS Jhonny Peralta
OF Ryan Braun
OF Marlon Byrd
OF Shane Victorino
OF Jayson Werth

P Homer Bailey
P Carlos Carrasco
P Santiago Casilla
P Tyler Clippard
P Kyle Farnsworth
P Joel Hanrahan
P Francisco Liriano
P Brandon McCarthy
P Edward Mujica
P Wandy Rodriguez
P Jeff Samardzija
P Jonathan Sanchez
P Ryan Vogelsong
P Jered Weaver
P C.J. Wilson

Injured Reserve

3B Luis Valbuena (2012)

New York State of Mind - Citi Field - 5th Pick in 2011 Draft (also traded for 21st Pick) - NL East (No to DH)

5/17/2016 12:45 AM (edited)

A few questions:

1. For this league is the player's rookie season the player's first WIS-eligible season, or first overall season?  
  2. If a player has a season for which they were not WIS-eligible in the middle of their career, is that season skipped?  
  3. Does the player have to appear on your team's roster in each season?
1/9/2012 9:43 PM
Posted by barracuda3 on 1/9/2012 9:43:00 PM (view original):

A few questions:

1. For this league is the player's rookie season the player's first WIS-eligible season, or first overall season?  
  2. If a player has a season for which they were not WIS-eligible in the middle of their career, is that season skipped?  
  3. Does the player have to appear on your team's roster in each season?
1.His rookie season for this league is considered his 1st WIS eligible season.

2.Any season that WIS skips for a given player, we will skip as well.

3.Your chosen journeyman has to be on your roster each season.
1/9/2012 9:49 PM
Thanks.  Another question: does the player have to have had at least one WIS-eligible season with four different teams in their first twelve seasons, or with four different teams in their entire career?  

It would be theoretically possible for a player to play for the same team for their first twelve seasons and still have WIS-eligible seasons with three other teams later in their career.

For the record, I'm not looking for loopholes to exploit, I'm just making sure that certain loopholes don't exist.  
1/9/2012 10:24 PM
Posted by barracuda3 on 1/9/2012 10:24:00 PM (view original):
Thanks.  Another question: does the player have to have had at least one WIS-eligible season with four different teams in their first twelve seasons, or with four different teams in their entire career?  

It would be theoretically possible for a player to play for the same team for their first twelve seasons and still have WIS-eligible seasons with three other teams later in their career.

For the record, I'm not looking for loopholes to exploit, I'm just making sure that certain loopholes don't exist.  
At any time in his career, if he played for 4 teams, and played for 12 WIS eligible seasons, he's cool. I want to take this league 15+ years, but I just made 12 the minimum.
1/9/2012 10:39 PM
Are there any rules about using twisted players more than once? For instance if a player was a teammate of my journeyman for more than one season can I use the best season of that teammate each season as long as he fits under the cap?
1/11/2012 1:08 PM
Posted by crazyjoe02 on 1/11/2012 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Are there any rules about using twisted players more than once? For instance if a player was a teammate of my journeyman for more than one season can I use the best season of that teammate each season as long as he fits under the cap?
Yes. If you have a guy that played with the Cubs for 5 seasons in the late 1950s, you can use the same Ernie Banks season year after year after year. Thanks for asking. 
1/11/2012 1:32 PM
I will give this a shot.  I'd like to use Vince Coleman 
1/14/2012 11:30 AM
Thank you calhoop. Just to let you know, I plan to keep bumping this for several months. It doesn't matter to me when we start, just so long as we eventually do. I really appreciate you joining. 
1/14/2012 12:04 PM
coachgreat1:

A great idea.  Count me in, whenever you get this league full.

Haven't done a whole lot of research yet, but I will tentatively choose journeyman IF Lyn Lary.
1/15/2012 9:15 PM
Welcome tdoak. Thank you for joining!
1/15/2012 10:35 PM
Sounds like a fun league.  Like tdoak I need to do a little more research, but tentatively want to go with Craig Counsell.
1/20/2012 9:44 AM
Sweet. Thanks 755.
1/20/2012 11:39 AM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
Journeyman Progressive League-Season #8...FULL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.