Posted by crazystengel on 11/27/2012 1:55:00 PM (view original):
There are them what says the reverse forum jinx is hogwash, and them what swears by it. Me, I don't claim to understand the inner workings of the various netherworlds, but I will say this. By the typing of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes. Have I discombobulated you sufficiently? Set a spell and listen. There's an owner in a Champ's League I'm in, goes by the name of snotlips or somesuch, and I recently commented in the league forum about how well he was doing, as his team was 59-22. Alas, I fear I have destroyed this team, as in the 17 nightmare games since they've gone 8-9, and will almost surely continue their downward spiral into oblivion (i.e., they'll miss the playoffs).
Believe It or Don't!
Watch this, I'm going to send all of my teams on 10-game losing streaks with just a few keystrokes.
There is no forum jinx. Just like the Rule of 370 in football, or the fact that batting title winners tend to decline the following season in baseball... it's all perception.
A team that is 19-19 isn't going to draw comments in the forums. A team that's 59-22 will. Now, there is a 1% chance that team is really a true talent 59-22 team. But the other 99% of the time, they're playing over their head, and they're going to regress whether you point out their success or not. They only elicit a comment in the forums if they are playing so far over their head that someone notices!
This is why RBs falter after a 370-carry season... because they had to be really good to justify 370 carries. Probably over their head good. The next season they will naturally regress (most of the time). A batter has to have a really, really high BABIP to win a batting title. The next year, he will naturally regress. It's not because he's cursed.
The Madden Curse is the same way. You only get on the cover by playing way over your head. When regression sets in, Madden gets blamed.
Now, if your true talent level is HOF-worthy, maybe you can overcome it. Calvin Johnson in the NFL. Ryan Braun and Justin Verlander in MLB.