2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Lots of talk about O's looking at Porcello and Kubel. Personally, I'd rather have Kubel than Porcello as the O's need some consistent pop in the middle of their order. I don't think Davis can be counted on to carry the load by himself, and Jones needs some protection.

I think Porcello would do well with the O's IF defense, but I hope they don't give up much for him as I don't see him as a huge upgrade over options they already have. Rumours of a Johnson for Porcello trade, which I don't like, simply because the O's don't really have a dependable option to replace Johnson. Strop faded badly in the second half last season and Ayala (the other rumoured replacement) isn't really overpowering. O'Day could be an option.

As far as the O's defense - depending on how Davis does at 1B, if Casilla is at 2B, the O's may have the best overall team defense in the league. Three of their OFers have won GGs, Hardy and Wieters are current GG winners, Machado is a GG winner in waiting, and Casilla is a plus defender at 2B. I'd feel good if I was a pitcher with those guys behind me, which definitely explains the O's interest in Porcello. Now their starters just have to figure out a way to a) hit the strike zone consistently and b) keep the ball in the ballpark.
1/23/2013 6:28 PM
As a Tigers fan I wouldn't be too opposed to a trade like that. Though most fans I speak to would hope Porcello nets more than a RP. We sure could use a COF. 
1/23/2013 9:05 PM
Doesn't look like it's gonna happen, but I think it would be a steal for Baltimore to get Porcello for any RP.
1/24/2013 5:33 PM
I'm assuming the Tigers wouldn't do it straight up for Johnson anyway.
1/24/2013 7:06 PM
You'd think not...  But on the other hand, they have in general a great-looking team.  Head and shoulders above the rest of the AL Central, at least on paper.  But they don't seem to want Benoit to close, which leaves them with Bruce Rondon and Al Albuquerque fighting an ancient Octavio Dotel for the closer's role.  On the other hand, the rotation without Porcello still goes Verlander, Fister, Anibal Sanchez, Scherzer, and Smyly, which is a pretty solid bunch.  It wouldn't be any worse than what Arizona just got for Upton...
1/25/2013 12:17 AM
Jair Jurrjens is in.  Base salary of $1.5 million, something like another $2.5 in incentives in there.
1/25/2013 1:01 AM
Well, lots of upside - hopefully Jair can bounce back. This is the type of low-risk move that paid off for the O's last year. Thought it seems 1/3 or 1/4 actually pay dividends, so definitely still not the big upgrade people have been looking for.
1/25/2013 10:32 PM
I would love to see the O's make a play for Lohse. Yes, it costs a draft pick, but it's a low first-round pick and are you guaranteed to get something there that will eventually match what Lohse could give you for the next 2-4 years? Even if they sign him on a one-year, $10-15M deal, I'd be okay with that.

The O's have a lot of depth, but so little is proven and Bundy likely won't be here before the AS break. I hope Duquette is at least kicking the tires on Lohse. Something has to be done to keep pace with the rest of the division.
2/14/2013 9:18 PM
I wish the O's had done more this offseason, but if I remain cautiously optimistic about the coming season.

Roberts has been hot this ST. If (BIG if) he can stay healthy and hit leadoff - I'd say 100 games at 2B, 30 games at DH and plenty of time off - that could be as good as a big signing. 2B has been a black hole for them the past couple seasons. Full seasons from McLouth, Reimold, Markakis and Machado should breed significant improvements as well.

If nothing else, the O's have one of the deepest teams in baseball. They could field practically an entire AAA team of guys with decent ML experience right now. With 13 potential starting pitching candidates - Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, McFarland, Hunter, Wada, Johnson and (less likely) Bundy and Gausman - I'd be very surprised if Duquette doesn't pull off some kind of trade before ST ends.

3/3/2013 3:22 PM
Looks like Arrieta will get the 5th spot. He's put up good numbers this spring, but still struggling a bit with command. He may have the best stuff of any pitcher on the team, but still can't seem to put it all together. Showalter has been relatively rough on him in the media, nitpicking every little thing that goes wrong in his starts - I'm guessing he likes Arrieta and wants him to succeed, but is trying to build up his mental toughness. Seems most of Jake's problems last year were in his head.

Reimold and Roberts are looking great this spring. If we can get 400-450 ABs out of each this year, that's as good as adding two impact players. My projected opening day lineup:

Roberts 2B
Markakis RF
Jones CF
Wieters C
Davis 1B
Hardy SS
Reimold DH
Machado 3B
McLouth LF

Hammel SP
3/22/2013 5:55 PM
Looks like Roberts will start the season batting 9th, which makes sense. Ease him back into things, and also create more RBI chances for Markakis or Reimold, whoever bats first (likely Markakis).
3/29/2013 11:32 AM
1. RF: Nick Markakis
2. DH: Nolan Reimold
3. CF: Adam Jones
4. C: Matt Wieters
5. 1B: Chris Davis
6. SS: J.J. Hardy
7. LF: Nate McLouth
8. 3B: Manny Machado
9. 2B: Brian Roberts
SP: Jason Hammel
4/1/2013 2:11 AM
Looks like Machado may bat second...he's been strong against lefties, through Reimold has killed lefties in his career. Hopefully they can do better against Price than they did a couple days ago.
4/1/2013 9:25 PM
I love having Machado bat second, and I'll love it even more when he gets a little older.  Although with any luck he'll just be consistent this year, but I wouldn't gamble a lot on it...
4/2/2013 8:02 PM
Well, hopefully the O's pitching staff is done underestimating the Rays hitters. They don't have a good offense, but it's not like it's a team of little leaguers, either. Ayala, Strop and Hunter with horrible pitch placement. They were just laying stuff over as if they thought the Rays hitters didn't know how to put the bat on the ball. Absolutely no reason they should have lost that game.

Personally, I think Strop is overrated. I'd trade him while his value is peaked.
4/3/2013 10:12 PM
◂ Prev 1...34|35|36|37|38...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.