2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

There's no point in talking to you. If you think coaches want their players to be formulaic robots who never use their instincts and don't react to stop a busted play, you're mistaken.
4/21/2014 10:52 PM
Look, maybe Machado would have cut that ball off, maybe not.  But more often than not, even at the professional level, players deciding to cut off throws without having it called do more harm than good.  It doesn't make sense for Schoop, who is playing out of position and clearly doesn't really know what he's doing at 3rd base, to overrule Wieters, who is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball.  You're obviously going to defer to the veteran in that situation.  It's the catchers job to call for the cutoff on that throw.  If it were a throw from right to 3rd, it would be Schoop's job to make the call, and maybe Hardy or the 2B cuts it off anyway since Schoop might not be used to being the back guy instead of the cutoff man himself.  But that's just not the situation here.  I think it's absurd to rip the young, out-of-position player for deferring to the veteran defensive stud.
4/22/2014 4:05 AM
Jeez, have you guy been arguing over a cut-off for a page and a half?   Since it's a blocked party, I'm gonna recreate the discussion.

jtp:  I can't believe that rookie didn't cut the ball!!!!
bl:   If you understood advanced metrics, you'd know why he didn't.
jtp:  WHAT?   And don't get me started on umpiring!!!!!
bl:   Advanced metrics doesn't do a good job with missed cuts but Wieters has a better WAR.
burns:  Weiters call.
burns:  But something went wrong.
jtp:   I play beer league softball and we cut those.
bl:  I played high level baseball and it's Wieters call.    Anyone wanna discuss FIP?
dahs:  Beer league softball?  Maybe you're not playing the game the right way.
Don Mattingly:   Yeah, I've got that problem with Puig.   ****** nevers hits a cut-off man.   And he's always late.
jtp:  Nobody told Jeter to cut the ball!!!!!
dahs:  You don't know that.
jtp:  I've obsessed over Jeter for years.   I've watched that play a million times in slow motion.   Posada said nothing!!!
dahs:  (gets long-winded)
4/22/2014 8:11 AM
I haven't see the play but the cut is a pretty simple play.    The cut-off positions himself somewhat between the fielder and the destination.   Depending on the distance between him and the destination, if he has to move more than a step or two to get to the ball, he should probably cut it(assuming he lined up properly in the first place).  A throw that's 8 feet off line from 60 feet away is going to be further off line upon arrival.   That's not "by the book" but it's common sense.

In this case, assuming dahs has the player right, you've got a 22 y/o kid with 20 games under his belt who's out there because the starter is hurt.  And he's playing for a "by the book" manager.   I wouldn't expect someone who's just trying to stick around to start freelancing in that situation.  He's waiting for the A/S catcher to tell him what to do.
4/22/2014 8:22 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/22/2014 8:11:00 AM (view original):
Jeez, have you guy been arguing over a cut-off for a page and a half?   Since it's a blocked party, I'm gonna recreate the discussion.

bl:   Advanced metrics doesn't do a good job with missed cuts but Wieters has a better WAR.
bl:  I played high level baseball and it's Wieters call.    Anyone wanna discuss FIP?
Don Mattingly:   Yeah, I've got that problem with Puig.   ****** nevers hits a cut-off man.   And he's always late.
jtp:  I've obsessed over Jeter for years.   I've watched that play a million times in slow motion.   Posada said nothing!!!
Here's what really happened.

You read all the posts in the thread. You wanted to participate but didn't want to admit that you read the posts from people you say you blocked. So you tried to be funny. Tried.

Good luck blocking everyone. That seems to be a good strategy for someone who uses these forums as a way to get 100% of their social interaction.
4/22/2014 11:45 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/22/2014 8:22:00 AM (view original):
I haven't see the play but the cut is a pretty simple play.    The cut-off positions himself somewhat between the fielder and the destination.   Depending on the distance between him and the destination, if he has to move more than a step or two to get to the ball, he should probably cut it(assuming he lined up properly in the first place).  A throw that's 8 feet off line from 60 feet away is going to be further off line upon arrival.   That's not "by the book" but it's common sense.

In this case, assuming dahs has the player right, you've got a 22 y/o kid with 20 games under his belt who's out there because the starter is hurt.  And he's playing for a "by the book" manager.   I wouldn't expect someone who's just trying to stick around to start freelancing in that situation.  He's waiting for the A/S catcher to tell him what to do.
Thanks for explaining a play that everyone in this discussion has seen but you.

Your expertise is invaluable.
4/22/2014 11:47 AM
Hahaha at the last 2 posts.
4/22/2014 7:55 PM
Offense screwed Tillman in his last start against TO, so it was good to see them bail him out tonight. Did a great job of settling down and keeping them in the game after that 6 run second. Big win.
4/23/2014 11:14 PM
Davis to the DL any chance Clevinger can play first base I kinda like his bat?
4/27/2014 12:39 AM
Need Pearce back...
4/28/2014 4:37 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/22/2014 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/22/2014 8:11:00 AM (view original):

Here's what really happened.

You read all the posts in the thread. You wanted to participate but didn't want to admit that you read the posts from people you say you blocked. So you tried to be funny. Tried.

Good luck blocking everyone. That seems to be a good strategy for someone who uses these forums as a way to get 100% of their social interaction.
Mike still doesn't understand that the whole "I have this person blocked, but I'm guessing they are saying..." ploy is a sure sign he doesn't, in fact, have them blocked. He's a moron who doesn't think people can see what a moron he is.
4/28/2014 9:53 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/28/2014 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Need Pearce back...
Ya. Manny's coming back at just the right time. This team needs a spark.

I wonder if DD has any trades up his sleeve. Or a Morales deal on the horizon.
4/28/2014 9:54 PM
Doubt it.  Wish we had Morales instead of Cruz, in spite of how well Cruz has hit so far.  But he still isn't ready to take a cheap deal.
4/29/2014 1:55 AM
This is the Ubaldo we saw last year after April - let's hope he's found his groove. What a great performance.

Tommy with a win and 2 saves in two days. JJ who?
5/2/2014 11:41 PM
Anyone still take Tillman over Kazmir?
5/12/2014 9:21 AM
◂ Prev 1...52|53|54|55|56...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.