Throw the Bum Out - Hall of Fame Edition Topic

Posted by Jtpsops on 2/12/2012 12:25:00 AM (view original):
I admit I'm no expert on the issue, but wasn't Curt Flood the driving force behind FA?  Simply being the first one would not, in and of itself, note any kind of accomplishment on Hunter's part.
The Flood case was very important in that his case was brought all the way up to the Supreme Court, which ultimately upheld the reserve clause.  But nothing really happened for the next 4 years until Hunter was released from his contract at the height of his career due to Charlie Finley's refusal to honor one of the terms of the contract.  Hunter was courted by nearly every MLB team and signed the first million dollar contract when he became a Yankee.  I think that really opened the players eyes as to how much money was out there if the reserve clause could be overturned.  Not surprisingly, the McNally and Messersmith cases followed a year later and free agency was born.

In my opinion, the Hunter case is not given enough credit for it's impact on free agency as history should suggest.  Granted, Hunter didn't really do anything per-se beyond demanding that his contract be honored as agreed to by the Oakland A's.  He just happened to be the right person in the right place at the right time.
2/12/2012 11:44 AM
Ooh, speaking of money pitchers, I'm tossing Chief Bender out too. Ha!

Hunter is the poster boy of why won-loss records are a team-dependent stat that is unreliable to rate pitchers. He never had a dominant season, and outside that five-year peak, he was a very 'meh' pitcher. Heck, in 1973, he was basically average, if one is willing to look beyond the weak won-loss stat.

Finally, he had a medium length career with a 105 ERA+. And that's despite have some of the best career defensive support in history. This is a pitcher whose overall performance looks very average. The best I could give him is a spot in the Hall of Very Good, and he wouldn't be one of the top pitchers there.

Hunter was one of the most highly regarded pitchers of his day, because at his best he won a lot of games, and several times he was the best pitcher on a championship team. His case is extremely team dependent, and to put him in my personal Hall, I'd need an outdated approach to evaluating players. I couldn't possibly bring myself to do that.
2/12/2012 12:15 PM
Posted by SpotSell on 2/12/2012 10:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by smeric on 2/11/2012 9:01:00 PM (view original):
I don't care what anyone says, a HOF without the all-time hits leader is ridiculous.
Its called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Infamy.  If you would like to start a Hall of Infamy, ok, I am on board.

I took my son to Cooperstown this past summer and was surprised to see so much Pete Rose stuff exhibited.  Aside from the bronze plaque, he has more things on display than a majority of those actually enshrined.  He is being honored already.
What he did as a player is above reproach ... What he did while a manager is only as bad as the hype machine makes it ... If you ask me there are far worse moral questionables in the HOF who aren't even mentioned in a negative light and people whose enshrinement came via such questionable means that to exclude Rose reeks of hypocrisy.

I feel the same way about the current treatment of McGwire and the soon to come voting treatment of Bonds and Clemens.
2/12/2012 5:29 PM
Posted by 1899_spiders on 2/12/2012 12:15:00 PM (view original):
Ooh, speaking of money pitchers, I'm tossing Chief Bender out too. Ha!

Hunter is the poster boy of why won-loss records are a team-dependent stat that is unreliable to rate pitchers. He never had a dominant season, and outside that five-year peak, he was a very 'meh' pitcher. Heck, in 1973, he was basically average, if one is willing to look beyond the weak won-loss stat.

Finally, he had a medium length career with a 105 ERA+. And that's despite have some of the best career defensive support in history. This is a pitcher whose overall performance looks very average. The best I could give him is a spot in the Hall of Very Good, and he wouldn't be one of the top pitchers there.

Hunter was one of the most highly regarded pitchers of his day, because at his best he won a lot of games, and several times he was the best pitcher on a championship team. His case is extremely team dependent, and to put him in my personal Hall, I'd need an outdated approach to evaluating players. I couldn't possibly bring myself to do that.
He never had a dominant season?  1972, 1974 and 1975 all disagree with you.
2/12/2012 6:37 PM

If anyone else has more players to add, I'd love to see them. I can't imagine the trimming is complete yet. Any cast out will be disputed - some more than others - but the point is to drop players that anyone can give a good reason why they should be removed from the Hall. Those reasons may be contentious, but if they are rational, they are considered legit.

In the Catfish Hunter case, his rejection usually comes from stat monkeys like myself. More traditional people tend to support him. It's basically the same dispute that occurs when arguing whether Jack Morris should be in the Hall. Indeed, Morris tends to rank pretty close to Hunter in personal lists I've seen, and the two currently sit at 82 (Morris) and 84 (Hunter) on Baseball-Reference's Elo Rater. I have them neck and neck.

Point is, I have certainly read enough on message boards and heard enough to know that I am not alone in my position on Hunter, and also that there are many who oppose my view. And I hope we can stick to those kinds of players when each of us decides who we would like to see gone. A vote for Andre Dawson, for example, is fine, but one for Hank Aaron is just trolling.

Glad to see some discussion on who should be in the Hall. As for Rose, I would only ban him for life if I had concrete evidence that he was throwing games. Otherwise, I would just suspend him while baseball investigates the situation. Rose claims he only bet to win, and unless the league could come up with strong evidence to the contrary, I would reinstate him. How long baseball should get to do that investigation is a more difficult issue, and I don't have an answer. And I won't keep anyone out because of PED use. It doesn't bother me.

Here are my top eligible players not in the Hall for each position:

C Ted Simmons
1B Jeff Bagwell.
2B Bobby Grich. He said in an interview that he had become aware of the push for him from the sabermetric community.
3B Sal Bando. Actually Edgar Martinez, but that's only because I don't rank DHs, and instead put them at the closest position.
SS Alan Trammell. Or Bill Dahlen. Makes no difference to me.
LF Tim Raines
CF Jimmy Wynn. I think he has an argument for the Hall, though he's not slam dunk. I know someone who used to work for the Astros. He told Wynn what I had said about that. Wynn disagrees with me.
RF Larry Walker. Even with the Coor's Field effect considered.
P Kevin Brown.

I know the comments make the list a pain to read. But there it is. Feel free to call me an idiot, and respond with your replacement for my stupid choices.

2/12/2012 6:39 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/10/2012 9:05:00 PM (view original):
I think the HOF has changed a lot over the years. Guys we might kick out now based on stats were probably voted in for much different reasons (character, durability, contributions to franchise/MLB).  It's hard to throw guys out looking back, not knowing all the reasons they were voted in at the time. I think we can only really comment on guys who we've seen get voted in and have been able to actually hear/see some reasoning and arguments around.
God damn... something must be wrong with me... I completely agree with JT, on this one.
2/13/2012 12:35 PM
Hunter was one of those pitchers who pitched to the situation, and not to the (yet-to-be-born) sabermetricians.  If he was up by a handful of runs, he might start shifting down into "let-them-hit-it" mode, knowing that he could bear down at any time and shut it down (or he knew Fingers/Knowles would come in).  He didn't have a blazing fastball or a super curveball, but pinpoint control. 

The closest modern analogy is probably Glavine, who won 300 games by pitching for the winningest team in the last 20 years.  Is he in your HOF?
2/13/2012 2:18 PM
I think Halladay is a recent comparison to what you described. If he's up 6-0, he'll just start laying them over and making the hitters put it in play. If it ends up 6-4, he'll bear down again.
2/13/2012 3:09 PM
Halladay is a bit of a throwback in that he wants to finish his game.

Since position players play differently based on the situation, there's no reason that pitchers didn't do the same thing.   When given a 5 run lead, a pitcher should switch from "get everybody out no matter what" to "finish the game and save the bullpen."    That's gonna change some stats because they're going to hit more of the plate.  No way to know if Hunter did this but he did throw a lot of innings and completed about 40% of his starts.   Pitching for a good team should give you more of those opportunities.  

They may not do it that way now.   Pitchers know there are 7 guys out there to finish the game for them.  They can throw their 100 pitches, complete 6 and go have a beer(if they're in Boston).  
2/13/2012 3:17 PM
To me, that's the definition of an ace - a guy who can routinely through you 9 innings of 2-4 run ball. His numbers may not always be the prettiest, but he pitches to contact, eats up innings, saves the pen and gives your team a chance to win. It's as much about mentality as it is stuff, IMO. Aces know what they have to do and what the team needs, and they go do it.
2/13/2012 3:35 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/13/2012 3:09:00 PM (view original):
I think Halladay is a recent comparison to what you described. If he's up 6-0, he'll just start laying them over and making the hitters put it in play. If it ends up 6-4, he'll bear down again.
Halladay is a 1st ballot HOFer @ the rate he's going!
2/14/2012 3:31 AM
I didn't say he wasn't. I just said he's not afraid to pitch to contact and give up 3-4 runs if he's got the cushion for it. He knows he doesn't have to strike out every batter - he just needs to win the game for his team.
2/14/2012 10:51 AM

Right, but the conversation was about a guy like Catfish Hunter who they are saying had his numbers don't reflect how good he was because he changed his approach when he had a big lead. 

I'm not saying Halladay doesn't change his approach, but he's putting up dominant numbers, and I would say his default MO is to pitch to contact, because he's dominant pitching in the strike zone.  It's only in the last few years that he's become a particularly high K rate guy.

2/14/2012 1:05 PM
For the record, I'm not saying Catfish, or anyone, changes/changed their approach.   I'm saying it makes sense that pitchers would do that.    Back in the day, finishing the game had more importance.   That's what you did.   When you're up 7-0, it makes sense to stop the nibbling and make them hit it.   A LF isn't diving for a ball on the line with a big lead.   He's taking it off the hop and hold them to a single rather than risk giving up a triple.   It's smart baseball.
2/14/2012 2:05 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 2/14/2012 1:05:00 PM (view original):

Right, but the conversation was about a guy like Catfish Hunter who they are saying had his numbers don't reflect how good he was because he changed his approach when he had a big lead. 

I'm not saying Halladay doesn't change his approach, but he's putting up dominant numbers, and I would say his default MO is to pitch to contact, because he's dominant pitching in the strike zone.  It's only in the last few years that he's become a particularly high K rate guy.

I'm just speaking generally here (not specific to anyone's HOF case), but you could argue that Halladay's numbers have been so good throughout his career because he played in front of some poor run support in Toronto. He had to be good - and even then he still lost a lot of 2-1 or 3-2 CGs.

Had Halladay been a Yankee his whole career, he'd have a lot more wins, but I think some of his other numbers would be a little more pedestrian.
2/14/2012 2:13 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...103 Next ▸
Throw the Bum Out - Hall of Fame Edition Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.