Tim Tebow Topic

As for the Jets draft, with the except of Jones, how many teams passed on those other guys?  Hell, I'd love to have the best player in every draft.  Unfortunately, you don't get to know who that it until 12 years later.   Know what I mean?
3/22/2012 4:42 PM
And, while I agree that jtpops is a retard, there were some teams that Manning was not going to consider.    I count the Raiders in that group.  Pretty sure you can count the Jets(brother conflict and Rex).  Rant and rave about how they didn't aggressively pursue Manning but that's the same as you or I aggressively pursuing Kate Upton.  Ain't happening regardless of aggressiveness.
3/22/2012 4:43 PM
I dont know how else to say this other than TIM TEBOW BEING ON YOUR ROSTER CANNOT IMPROVE IT UNLESS HE WAS REPLACING ME.

You posted this, no?

Last sentence.

I did say that.  And I did not say that Tebow made the Jets worse.  I said they were not improved.  They were essentially the same.  They made a whole hell of a lot of noise and fury trading for the most talked about player in the NFL last season.  And attained nothing.  Tim Tebow will not improve the Jets roster.  He won DESPITE his inept passing.  Just like Sanchez, I guess in 2009 & 2010.
3/22/2012 5:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/22/2012 4:42:00 PM (view original):
As for the Jets draft, with the except of Jones, how many teams passed on those other guys?  Hell, I'd love to have the best player in every draft.  Unfortunately, you don't get to know who that it until 12 years later.   Know what I mean?
Jerry Rice was the 2nd receiver taken after Al Toon.  The Bengals passed on Rice also and took Eddie Brown.  Marino was the next QB taken after the Jets drafted O'Brien.  No QB was in between.  Emmitt Smith was the next RB taken after Blair Thomas.  No RB was taken between Thomas and Smith.  And as I posted, Art Monk was the next WR taken after Lam Jones.

My point in this was that the Jets passed on HOFers at positiond they were filling year after year.  Not like drafting Tony Mandarich instead of Barry Sanders.  While it is true that the Packers passed on Sanders to take Mandarich, they played different positions.  I am comparing the Jets high first round picks at positions they drafted to players at those same positions that were drafted later.  And not like Tom Brady, in the 6th round where everyone passed on him, and no one thought highly of him....  but essentially the VERY NEXT player at that position.  A player that was considered a 1st round talent by most everyone other than the Jets, who for some reason took other players in front of the HOFer
3/22/2012 5:12 PM
I'm sure, had many teams known that Rice/Marino/Smith were going to be Rice/Marino/Smith, they would have chosen different players.   Marino MIGHT be the exception for several of those teams as there were some pretty good QB not named O'Brien taken in that draft.

As for worse/not improved, you can play the semantics game all day.   Nonetheless, in comparing Tebow's value to something less than a ping pong ball, you implied that the Jets were worse.  Unless, of course, you think the Jets have a lot of players who are worth less than a ping pong ball.  I'd disagree as they can do something you and I cannot fathom.  Play football, even poorly, at the professional level.   Ping pong balls would be worse than us.
3/22/2012 5:26 PM
I'm sure, had many teams known that Rice/Marino/Smith were going to be Rice/Marino/Smith, they would have chosen different players.

Well, I must be vague, because the ineptitude is pretty clear if I explain it correctly.. 

While what you said was true....   The first team who drafted after the Jets in 1980 who needed a WR took Art Monk.  The first team that picked after the Jets in 1983 who needed a QB took Marino.  The 2nd team that picked after the Jets in 1985 who needed a WR took Jerry Rice, and the 1st team who picked after the Jets in 1990 who took a RB took Emmitt Smith.  All those players were drafted in seasons where they were available, the Jets had a need at their position great enough that they were willing to use a high first round pick on that position, and yet they took someone else only to see the very next player taken at that position become a HOFer (and in the case of Rice, Marino & Smith...  among the best ever at their positions, if not the best ever).
3/23/2012 9:45 AM
No, you're viewing the drafts from those seasons in complete 20/20 hindsight.   You know what those players became and, due to your love/hate of the Jets, you're saying "They could have been ours!!!"    
16 teams passed on Smith.  Only one player(likely 2 with Seau pretty much a gimme) became a HOFer. 
15 teams passed on Rice.  2 HOFers from that group.
26 teams passed on Marino.  4 HOFers.   Blackledge and Eason were drafted before O'Brien.   Darrell Green was drafted after Marino.

Of the teams that passed on Smith/Rice/Marino, I'm guessing almost all of them would change their picks.   Unless you think Chicago would say "No, I understand how good Marino became but we really needed a T and a WR more than a QB.   Covert and Gault would still have been our picks."
3/23/2012 10:24 AM
Here, I'll do it with the Raiders(IIRC).

They took Huff, I wanted Leinart.
In need of a QB, they took Russell.  I wanted Calvin Johnson.
Next season they took McFadden.

Now, had they done what I wanted, they still wouldn't have a QB(as Leinart was almost as bad as Russell) but, by taking Leinart, they don't take Russell.   So now they take Johnson.   Much better to have Johnson/McFadden. 
3/23/2012 10:29 AM
49ers took Smith #1 overall. The next 22 teams went non-QB. Then came a guy named Rodgers, arguably the best QB in the game today. I'm sure at least 18 of those teams would take Rodgers now, if they had it to do over. Many teams have stories about missed picks
3/23/2012 10:35 AM
According to NFL.com, Tebow chose NY over hometown Jacksonville because he felt It gave him a better chance to become a starter again. Sanchez is gonna have trouble getting the knot out of his panties after reading that
3/23/2012 10:41 AM
No.  You are still for some reason not comprehending......

Michael Huff - Safety.  Next safety taken was Donte Whitner.  Advantage Oakland.
JaMarcus Russell - QB.  Next QB taken was Brady Quinn.  Advantage Cleveland (not by much though)

I am looking back with 20/20 vision.  However, when a team drafts to fill a need in the high first round FOUR TIMES in a decade, and none of the players selected turn out to be Pro-Bowlers, and only 1 (Al Toon) is even an average NFLer....   and the same position was drafted soon afterwards with a HOFer.....    Your team sucks at drafting and is mismanaged.  Once anything can happen.  Twice could be coincidence.  Three and Four times in a decade is a pattern.  Especially with no well spent picks that I omitted.  Not like I cherrypicked 4 bad picks.
3/23/2012 10:44 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/23/2012 10:36:00 AM (view original):
49ers took Smith #1 overall. The next 22 teams went non-QB. Then came a guy named Rodgers, arguably the best QB in the game today. I'm sure at least 18 of those teams would take Rodgers now, if they had it to do over. Many teams have stories about missed picks
Yes.  But only SF can say they picked a QUARTERBACK over Rodgers.  Other teams can say...  "yeah, but we didn't need a QB".
3/23/2012 10:45 AM
So if the Colts still had Manning, and he was guaranteed to be healthy, they could get a pass on not drafting Luck or RG3, since they had more pressing needs?
3/23/2012 10:48 AM

You're pretending that the 50+ picks by teams before Smith/Rice/Marino wouldn't have changed with the same hindsight you're using.  That's silly and you know it.   McMahon was the Bears QB at the time of the '85 draft.   They had two picks before Marino.   Your contention seems to be that the Bears, had they known what Marino would have become, would have said "No.  We drafted McMahon in '82.  He's doing a good job.  Our needs are T and WR.  We'll stick with Covert and Gault.  Someone else can have Marino."

3/23/2012 10:52 AM
That's a poor example, jtpops.   Because, with a healthy Manning and a committment to use him for the next 3-4 seasons, the Colts would do exactly that.  They'd have traded the pick to address needs for the end of Manning's run.
3/23/2012 10:58 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...15 Next ▸
Tim Tebow Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.