Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 7/7/2014 3:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/7/2014 3:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/7/2014 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/7/2014 3:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/7/2014 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/5/2014 4:10:00 PM (view original):
And what the heck, let's just cut to the chase:

Are you a religious person?  Do you believe in God, or some other similar higher power?
Does it matter?
I think it does.
Explain
You first.  Answer the questions.
I don't think it matters so I'm not going to answer.
You don't think it matters?

Here's a semi-hypothetical:

Person A is a very religious person.  Let's say he's Catholic.  He's a very strict Catholic.  He accepts and follows the Vatican's positions against birth control and abortion without question.

Person B is not religious.  At all.  In fact, he thinks that all religion is stupid, and people who believe in God are borderline nuts.

Who do you think cares more about the First Amendment Constitutional protection of religious freedom?  Person A or person B?
7/7/2014 4:24 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/7/2014 4:19:00 PM (view original):
I see the difference in those, just not from a religious rights perspective. How does someone else taking a pill affect your rights?

Somebody else taking a pill does not affect your rights.

Being mandated by the government to subsidize the purchasing of those pills does.

I know you don't think it does.  But many others do.  Including SCOTUS.
You're paying for the pills either way. What difference does it make if it's in premiums or wages?
7/7/2014 4:42 PM
If I pay somebody wages, and they turn around and buy pills, I am not buying them pills.

It's retarded to try to portray it that way.
7/7/2014 5:10 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/7/2014 4:24:00 PM (view original):

Are you a religious person?  Do you believe in God, or some other similar higher power?
Does it matter?
I think it does.
Explain

Person A is a very religious person.  Let's say he's Catholic.  He's a very strict Catholic.  He accepts and follows the Vatican's positions against birth control and abortion without question.

Person B is not religious.  At all.  In fact, he thinks that all religion is stupid, and people who believe in God are borderline nuts.

Who do you think cares more about the First Amendment Constitutional protection of religious freedom?  Person A or person B?
I don't see why the answer can't be B.

B sees religion in government when he walks by the 10 commandments on display. He sees it in law when states pass things like prop 8 and other gay marriage bans. He sees it when a entire communities freak out at the idea of a minority religion building a house of worship nearby. He sees it when school districts in the south do this.

B is probably very concerned with protecting religious freedom. But his concern is probably rooted in making sure that everyone is protected. Not just Christians.
7/7/2014 5:12 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/7/2014 5:10:00 PM (view original):
If I pay somebody wages, and they turn around and buy pills, I am not buying them pills.

It's retarded to try to portray it that way.
If you pay insurance premiums and then someone is prescribed pills that are covered by insurance, you aren't buying them pills either.
7/7/2014 5:13 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/7/2014 4:42:00 PM (view original):
I see the difference in those, just not from a religious rights perspective. How does someone else taking a pill affect your rights?

Being mandated by the government to subsidize the purchasing of those pills does.

You're paying for the pills either way. What difference does it make if it's in premiums or wages?
This is like saying that the government issues welfare checks, which are used to buy crack cocaine.

Therefore, the government should just buy crack for people.

A new low for BL logic.
7/7/2014 5:14 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 7/7/2014 5:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/7/2014 4:42:00 PM (view original):

This is like saying that the government issues welfare checks, which are used to buy crack cocaine.

Therefore, the government should just buy crack for people.

A new low for BL logic.
Well, crack is illegal and bad for you, so no, it's not like that at all.
7/7/2014 5:23 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/7/2014 5:12:00 PM (view original):

Does it matter?
I think it does.
Explain

B sees religion in government when he walks by the 10 commandments on display. He sees it in law when states pass things like prop 8 and other gay marriage bans. He sees it when a entire communities freak out at the idea of a minority religion building a house of worship nearby. He sees it when school districts in the south do this.

B is probably very concerned with protecting religious freedom. But his concern is probably rooted in making sure that everyone is protected. Not just Christians.
The guy who thinks religion is nonsensical bullshit (i.e., person B) is going to be the champion of protecting religious freedom?

Are you going to stick with that answer?
7/7/2014 5:27 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/7/2014 5:27:00 PM (view original):

Does it matter?
I think it does.
Explain

The guy who thinks religion is nonsensical bullshit (i.e., person B) is going to be the champion of protecting religious freedom?

Yep. The first amendment doesn't just protect religious people, it protects non-religious people from being ordered to conform to nonsensical bullshit.
7/7/2014 5:47 PM
Also, I'm not saying B is more concerned, but it's not unreasonable to imagine him just as concerned as A.
7/7/2014 5:55 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bad_luck on 7/7/2014 5:55:00 PM (view original):
Also, I'm not saying B is more concerned, but it's not unreasonable to imagine him just as concerned as A.
It's not unreasonable to believe that somebody who believes that God and religion is nonsensical bullshit is going to be just as concerned about preserving religious freedom as a bible-thumper?

Sure.  That makes sense.

If today is "Backwards Day".
7/7/2014 9:41 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/7/2014 5:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/7/2014 5:27:00 PM (view original):

Does it matter?
I think it does.
Explain

Yep. The first amendment doesn't just protect religious people, it protects non-religious people from being ordered to conform to nonsensical bullshit.
Did you miss this part?

The first amendment is just as, if not more, important to nonreligious and minority religion people.
7/7/2014 10:34 PM
Nope, I didn't miss it.

I've been busy trying to find atheist groups who are fighting the good fight to protect the first amendment rights of religious people.  Nothing, so far.

Can you help?
7/7/2014 10:49 PM
What does that have to do with anything? You asked if an atheist would care about the protection of the first amendment. Of course an atheist would, considering that the first amendment also protects freedom from religion.
7/7/2014 10:52 PM
◂ Prev 1...229|230|231|232|233...462 Next ▸
Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.