World Rankings- Updated Topic

Posted by cbriese on 4/23/2012 8:38:00 AM (view original):
Um, murph. We are superior. No need to try to feel superior.

And you went to Double Mendoza world chat to find something on vandydave? Really?

No I went to Double Mendoza world chat to see the context of robusk's quote that was pasted in here. If I wanted to find something on vandydave, I would just post a link to his blog.

4/23/2012 8:40 AM
Look, we simply said that the analysis could be improved via a few changes:
  • Use standard deviation rather than gross averages
  • Look at at three-year period rather than a singe season
  • Incorporate runs rather than wins
Some folks apparently still think the pitcher with the most wins should get the Cy Young, and the hitter with the most RBIs should win the MVP. That appears to be the kind of logic used in determining your world rankings.

Is this, by the way, part of the manifesto?
4/23/2012 8:46 AM (edited)

People who are superior don't need to say "I'm superior" simply because everyone should already know.   Those that do are insecure.   Or maybe they're just trying to convince themselves.

4/23/2012 8:44 AM
Or maybe it's just banter, Mike, between folks who have been doing this in these forums for many years.
4/23/2012 8:47 AM
Posted by cbriese on 4/23/2012 8:46:00 AM (view original):
Look, we simply said that the analysis could be improved via a few changes:
  • Use standard deviation rather than gross averages
  • Look at at three-year period rather than a singe season
  • Incorporate runs rather than wins
Some folks apparently still think the pitcher with the most wins should get the Cy Young, and the hitter with the most RBIs should win the MVP. That appears to be the kind of logic used in determining your world rankings.

Is this, by the way, part of the manifesto?

Not at all. I only went through one year initially for a couple of reasons. 1. If the results made no logical sense--or if I could make improvements to grab better data, I didnt want to have to go through 3 years worth of data twice. As I posted throughout the thread, I will incorporate multiple seasons.

I get your point on wins--and admittedly looking at 100 wins/100 loss teams was a bit simplistic. But initially to put these out it was easy to grab the data. I will be grabbing top 4 wins/loss teams. I think for the parity aspect run differential will be helpful--I expect it will just reinforce what I will get looking at the top and bottom w/l. Although I am sure there are a few worlds where that data will tell a different story.

Cbriese, as far as I recall, you mentioned nothing about Standard Deviations until this post.  As I mentioned before, the way I set it up initially didnt lend itself to grabbing all team data and making calculations based on that data.

Im not opposed to it in theory--it may result in slightly different rankings and better score the worlds based on era and +/- where some monster teams are driving up the average, but I also think that by weighing the parity score more heavily achieves pretty close to the same result.

I get people defending their worlds and trying to find some criteria that they think will better judge worlds. But what I dont get is people like Robusk coming in and just being douchey (I actually do kinda understand it since its coming from Robusk).  If I were a paid employee of WIS and this were my job--it would make sense. I just put this together over about a day because I had some time and thought it would be interesting.

And you know and I know if I went through the laborious process of calculating Standard deviations and Variance to the mean (or whatever the heck else he suggested) for 160+ worlds for 3 seasons each across multiple categories, Robusk would still find a reason to **** on the rankings.

Any ranking system will be inherently subjective..and people will disagree with the results--no amount of statistical complexity will change that.
4/23/2012 9:04 AM
Pardon me.   I'm kind of new to the forums and rather inexperienced at it.   Thanks for the explanation.

However, despite my forum n00bness, I'm willing to offer some help where I can.   Would you like me to call you a doctor?   You know, to have them remove the stick from your ***?
4/23/2012 9:04 AM
Posted by cbriese on 4/23/2012 8:47:00 AM (view original):
Or maybe it's just banter, Mike, between folks who have been doing this in these forums for many years.

I get the superiority thing is robusk's deal and it always has been. In this case it justs rubs me wrong. But whatever..and then crying in Shtickless because I redlined him..I only redlined those posts because one was especially douchey--I think it was asking what made me qualified to do rankings based on my real-world profession (which was incorrectly referenced btw).

This would be a great time to reference the post from the dude in the roofing industry where thousands of dollars change hands every week...or something.

4/23/2012 12:33 PM (edited)
Quote: Originally Posted By sickchangeup on 7/21/2008
God I can't wait to beat you idiots. I WORK IN THE ROOFING BUSINESS, where TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS change hands each WEEK. I bet you guys have no idea how superior I am to you.

Never fails to crack me up.
4/23/2012 9:12 AM
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
4/23/2012 9:21 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/23/2012 8:44:00 AM (view original):

People who are superior don't need to say "I'm superior" simply because everyone should already know.   Those that do are insecure.   Or maybe they're just trying to convince themselves.

Posted by MikeT23 on 4/14/2012 7:54:00 PM:
Best world in HBD is about to enter season 24 around the end of April.

4/23/2012 12:06 PM
Advertising, 'tard.
4/23/2012 12:31 PM
I guess you're a walking example of another truth.    Really dumb people are so dumb that they don't know they're dumb.  
4/23/2012 12:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/23/2012 9:04:00 AM (view original):
Pardon me.   I'm kind of new to the forums and rather inexperienced at it.   Thanks for the explanation.

However, despite my forum n00bness, I'm willing to offer some help where I can.   Would you like me to call you a doctor?   You know, to have them remove the stick from your ***?
I'll also refer back to this.
4/23/2012 12:38 PM
Nice job 'Murph.
4/23/2012 12:54 PM
Hi Murph.  Good job with the rankings, now go make them better so chuck n rob are satiated.
4/23/2012 2:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14 Next ▸
World Rankings- Updated Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.