World Rankings- Updated Topic

Posted by jpccr on 4/13/2012 12:39:00 PM (view original):
I was an owner in Hamilton (30) and The Sandlot (138), and it's hard to imagine such a vast gap between the two. In fact, the Sandlot out performed Hamilton in terms of 100w/100l teams 7 to 9. Hamilton also featured a team with 112 wins. The Sandlot had 0 teams with 110 wins or losses. Why such a gap?
The Sandlot was near the bottom on my fielding calculation. And Hamilton was near the top on both fielding and pitching scores. Their parity scores were fairly close.

Hamilton teams averaged 47+ and 48- plays. That is very bad as an average. (9th worst in all of HBD)
4/13/2012 1:24 PM
one thing im wanting to get a better handle on is that leagues with tons of 100+ win teams may push the average eras and fielding stats pretty high--offsetting the penalty for lack of parity by getting better than deserved fielding score and era score. In the future I may penalize more for being top heavy than I would for being bottom heavy..because if you have alot of garbage teams, the league would already get penalized on the era and fielding stats in all likelihood.
4/13/2012 1:28 PM
GUINNESS IS NUMBER ONE FOOL.
4/13/2012 1:34 PM
And why is a Sportsbra commished world in last place? I thought he was awesome?
4/13/2012 1:35 PM
Having just spent a season in Hamilton, I find it extremely difficult to accept it as being in the top 20 percentile of worlds.  It's got a really ****** up feel to it.  Which shows that there are some aspects of quality (good or bad) of worlds that can't be measured by hard numbers.
4/13/2012 1:38 PM
Yeah, its hard to measure '****** up feel'
4/13/2012 1:40 PM
Thanks for the list. If nothing elsethis thread wasted 3 minutes of my day at work. 
4/13/2012 1:54 PM
I'm only in 5 worlds.  Looking at it from one owner's perspective, 1-6-17-30-49, that seems really close to how I feel about the competitiveness of each world.    As a disclaimer, I'm just starting my 2nd season in BTP(49) so that's a very lmited view.   And, quite honestly, my viewpoint comes less from looking at the good teams and more from looking at the bad ones.   Every world has good/bad teams.   Good worlds limit how good the good teams get.   There are no unbeatable powerhouses in any of my worlds.   But the bad teams determine the quality of the world to me.   When the top teams rest 3-4 starters against a team, they're saying "They are not competitive."

One way I'd look at it is Runs Allowed vs. League Average.   I'd take the bottom 25% in wins(8 teams) and compare.   Here's how my worlds come out(last full season except MG which is at game 162):
Coop 699-706    7
MG 715-756   41
Mantle 739-823   84
Hamilton 729-797  68
BTP 766-885   119

Hamilton actually comes out better than Mantle which surprises just a little.   8 teams is pretty substantial and covers the "park factors" along with the random total turd team(which really hurts the world). 
4/13/2012 1:54 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/13/2012 1:38:00 PM (view original):
Having just spent a season in Hamilton, I find it extremely difficult to accept it as being in the top 20 percentile of worlds.  It's got a really ****** up feel to it.  Which shows that there are some aspects of quality (good or bad) of worlds that can't be measured by hard numbers.
There is a difference of opinion on what sort of owners should be recruited/allowed to take a team.   As you know, it takes 32 good owners to make a good world but one really ****** one to **** it up.  
4/13/2012 2:00 PM
Interesting that CAPB fell from a Top 10 world to 77th.  What was behind that?
4/13/2012 2:27 PM
you have the majors listed at 108....im in the majors and am or have been in 8 worlds ranked higher...having played in them the list is upside down..you have active owners, with good personality ...where the trash talking is smart and not hurtful....you dont feel like your playing with a bunch of 16 year old kids....plus its a theme lg...where all the teams are in the right division...the giants play the dodgers...and not the saun jaun taco eatters...the majors is probably the best world....with world bench a close second....hot stove is a very good lg as well
4/13/2012 2:39 PM
Posted by dmurphy104 on 4/13/2012 1:24:00 PM (view original):
I was an owner in Hamilton (30) and The Sandlot (138), and it's hard to imagine such a vast gap between the two. In fact, the Sandlot out performed Hamilton in terms of 100w/100l teams 7 to 9. Hamilton also featured a team with 112 wins. The Sandlot had 0 teams with 110 wins or losses. Why such a gap?
The Sandlot was near the bottom on my fielding calculation. And Hamilton was near the top on both fielding and pitching scores. Their parity scores were fairly close.

Hamilton teams averaged 47+ and 48- plays. That is very bad as an average. (9th worst in all of HBD)
you meant Sandlot there, of course. I guess I'll have to disagree with your formula if +/- is going to topple over the parity advantage that greatly (over 100 slots difference).  It's a pretty arbitrary evaluator of an owner's abilities. Sandlot had a team in Season 20 that won 103 games with a +/- split of 35/69, for instance. It's not unusual to see a team lead the world in plus plays and have a losing record.
As for the "****** up feel" comment, you could measure that somewhat by accounting for owner turnover.
4/13/2012 2:43 PM

These are the first rankings I have put out. Im not sure when CAPB was ranked in the top 10 or what the criteria was. The main reason they werent higher on my list is that they were in the bottom tier on my parity rankings. 10 teams won/lost 100+ games. I'm tweaking that formula just a bit and I think that would help CAPB since they had a couple teams hit 100 right on the button. It does look like CAPB has slowly gone from a league with lots of parity to having lots of teams on the extremes.

4/13/2012 2:46 PM
Posted by jpccr on 4/13/2012 2:43:00 PM (view original):

you meant Sandlot there, of course. I guess I'll have to disagree with your formula if +/- is going to topple over the parity advantage that greatly (over 100 slots difference).  It's a pretty arbitrary evaluator of an owner's abilities. Sandlot had a team in Season 20 that won 103 games with a +/- split of 35/69, for instance. It's not unusual to see a team lead the world in plus plays and have a losing record.
As for the "****** up feel" comment, you could measure that somewhat by accounting for owner turnover.
On the flip side, you seldom find teams with a negative +/- ratio with a winning record.   There are always exceptions but, by and large, the better teams will have a positive ratio. 
4/13/2012 2:51 PM
Posted by jpccr on 4/13/2012 2:43:00 PM (view original):

For an individual owner, Id agree that it isnt the be all/end all. As a league average, I feel that its a pretty good indicator.

You kind of made my point in that a team in Sandlot was able to win 103 games with such crappy fielding.

They were very similar on parity. Both pitching and fielding drove the gap. I also did catch an input error where I missed one of Hamiltons 100 win/loss seasons. That would push them to 43. I am slowly going back through for my revised calculation on parity and checking the other #s as well for all worlds.
4/13/2012 2:51 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...14 Next ▸
World Rankings- Updated Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.