EE's are getting out of hand Topic

Posted by mmt0315 on 4/24/2012 12:38:00 PM (view original):
I think the biggest problem with EEs is the inability to predict them...Im all for the "buyer beware" idea that comes with recruiting, but when you recruit a 3-Star or 4-Star with a ton of potential, then those types of guys simply shouldnt leave. Im the LSU team that he is referring to in the post above and it is devastating to a team like mine (that I took over with a C- prestige) to lose two guys that were respectively 3-star and 4-star players...It is absurd that the ACC who has 900+ rated players and just had 3 of the 4 FF teams along with 6 of 8 E8 teams only loses 3 as an entire conference...That is where the problem is IMO the unpredictability and inconsistency.
+1

I'd fix the currently non predictive statements in the evals - give meaning to the statements about the odds that a kid will leave early and let people recruit accordingly.
4/24/2012 12:55 PM
Agreed.  That and fix the dumb limit of 5 players leaving rule.
4/24/2012 1:40 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 4/24/2012 12:03:00 PM (view original):
Does anyone here think there is a practical value for EE? Is there any downside to removing it as a feature?

Seroiusly?

WIth no EE's, the elite teams would dominate so ridiculously, it would hardly be worth playing.

4/24/2012 2:01 PM
I really, really hope you guys are sending tickets to seble about EE's.

He has no idea how many people that EE's rub the wrong way.
4/24/2012 2:03 PM
I like the unpredictability. To much of this game is all ready just an equation that people smarter than me can manipulate.  

High-High growth means X
a CV is 1.8 * the value of a HV
You only need to start a guy you promised a start to 80% of the time....

4/24/2012 2:08 PM
Posted by girt25 on 4/24/2012 2:01:00 PM (view original):
Does anyone here think there is a practical value for EE? Is there any downside to removing it as a feature?

Seroiusly?

WIth no EE's, the elite teams would dominate so ridiculously, it would hardly be worth playing.

Look at the Phelan EE distribution. ACC barely touched, Big East wasn't touched at all. If EE is to be maintained, conf strength has to matter a whole lot more than now. An EE effectively cripples my team because I lost my best big. And now, my team looks like a 1st round NT knockout team, when it looked like it could be S16 and outside shot of E8 had Seaborn stayed. The difference ends up being I recruit 5 players with B prestige in 2 seasons or 4 slots with C+, which is tremendous. 

EE for A+ UNC/Duke/Texas etc. doesn't matter as much; they simply recruit 3x 5 star players this coming season. Even if they don't make it deep into the tourney, they are still at A+ prestige. 
4/24/2012 2:09 PM
Posted by metsmax on 4/24/2012 12:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mmt0315 on 4/24/2012 12:38:00 PM (view original):
I think the biggest problem with EEs is the inability to predict them...Im all for the "buyer beware" idea that comes with recruiting, but when you recruit a 3-Star or 4-Star with a ton of potential, then those types of guys simply shouldnt leave. Im the LSU team that he is referring to in the post above and it is devastating to a team like mine (that I took over with a C- prestige) to lose two guys that were respectively 3-star and 4-star players...It is absurd that the ACC who has 900+ rated players and just had 3 of the 4 FF teams along with 6 of 8 E8 teams only loses 3 as an entire conference...That is where the problem is IMO the unpredictability and inconsistency.
+1

I'd fix the currently non predictive statements in the evals - give meaning to the statements about the odds that a kid will leave early and let people recruit accordingly.
Absolutely agree with this, earlier in the thread I posted this:

Two suggestions to improve the early entry process at DI:

Currently it seems like evals for all of the top 100-120 recruits say that they will likely leave early for the NBA.  I suggest reducing that to 25-35 (skewed towards 4-5 stars, but some 1-3 stars as well), but actually make it mean something.  The kids who have that message will leave early, current logic can be used (or tweaked and improved) to determine if they leave after their FR, SO or JR seasons, but they will never see their SR season.

Also, I think there should be an extra email that comes at rollover, with the draft email, where your assistant coach can tell you who had a great summer and who might be tempted by the NBA if they have a good season.  That way EEs can be better predicted (if they weren't on the email, they won't go) and it will allow coaches to mitigate their impact by adjusting recruitng targets.

Also, if people agree, this could be copied and pasted into tickets and sent in. 
4/24/2012 2:10 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 4/24/2012 2:09:00 PM (view original):

Seroiusly?

Look at the Phelan EE distribution. ACC barely touched, Big East wasn't touched at all. If EE is to be maintained, conf strength has to matter a whole lot more than now. An EE effectively cripples my team because I lost my best big. And now, my team looks like a 1st round NT knockout team, when it looked like it could be S16 and outside shot of E8 had Seaborn stayed. The difference ends up being I recruit 5 players with B prestige in 2 seasons or 4 slots with C+, which is tremendous. 

EE for A+ UNC/Duke/Texas etc. doesn't matter as much; they simply recruit 3x 5 star players this coming season. Even if they don't make it deep into the tourney, they are still at A+ prestige. 
First, that is one season in one world. It is not respresentative of the norm. (And even if it was, I don't see why conference strength needs to be artificially weighed more ... EE's are not meant simply as an artificial tool to level the playing field. If you have a dominant Kentucky team and no one else in the SEC is good, you shouldn't be any less likely to lose a player than a great Kansas team in a Big 12 that's loaded.)

Second, you haven't coached an elite DI team before. Believe me when I tell you that every coach of an elite team absolutely prays that his talented underclassmen stays. It is a huge factor. You're trying to make deep NT runs and win titles, and avoiding EE's is enormous.
4/24/2012 2:28 PM
I agree ACN...Sorry, but as you probably anticipated...I didnt read the entire thread (it was to long and I only jumped in because I wanted to see what Tiany had to say on the subject as he and I briefly discussed this on the CC)...maybe someone should just send this entire thread to Seble to he can look at the concerns and suggestions...I really like ACNs suggestions as it would take care of what I believe are the two biggest issues. 
4/24/2012 2:30 PM
Posted by girt25 on 4/24/2012 2:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tianyi7886 on 4/24/2012 2:09:00 PM (view original):

Seroiusly?

First, that is one season in one world. It is not respresentative of the norm. (And even if it was, I don't see why conference strength needs to be artificially weighed more ... EE's are not meant simply as an artificial tool to level the playing field. If you have a dominant Kentucky team and no one else in the SEC is good, you shouldn't be any less likely to lose a player than a great Kansas team in a Big 12 that's loaded.)

Second, you haven't coached an elite DI team before. Believe me when I tell you that every coach of an elite team absolutely prays that his talented underclassmen stays. It is a huge factor. You're trying to make deep NT runs and win titles, and avoiding EE's is enormous.
I haven't coached an elite D1 program, but on page 3 professor points out that EE only hurts his chance of NC, but not his prestige. In fact, a couple of EE helps him to keep local teams down in terms of prestige and recruiting ability.

Conf strength plays a huge role in recruiting ability (conf prestige improves team prestige, and postseason cash) so they should also have higher proportion of EE, simply because they have more talent and more successful programs. Can we at least agree that in real life, EE generally come from strong programs in BCS conf? Can we also agree that 1st team all conf means more in the ACC than OVC or Big Sky? In the current system, it doesn't. 

Players who have declared for EE in 2012:
Player School Position
Harrison Barnes North Carolina Forward
Will Barton Memphis Guard
Bradley Beal Florida Guard
J'Covan Brown Texas Guard
Dominic Cheek Villanova Guard
Jared Cunningham Oregon State Guard
Anthony Davis Kentucky Center
Andre Drummond Connecticut Center
Justin Hamilton LSU Center
Moe Harkless St. John's Guard/Forward
John Henson North Carolina Forward
John Jenkins Vanderbilt Guard
Perry Jones III Baylor Forward
Terrence Jones Kentucky Forward
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Kentucky Forward
Doron Lamb Kentucky Guard
Jeremy Lamb Connecticut Guard
Meyers Leonard Illinois Center
Damian Lillard Weber State Guard
Kendall Marshall North Carolina Guard
C.J. McCollum Lehigh Guard
Fab Melo Syracuse Center
Khris Middleton Texas A&M Forward
Arnett Moultrie Mississippi State Forward
Austin Rivers Duke Guard
Thomas Robinson Kansas Forward
Terrence Ross Washington Guard
Renardo Sidney Mississippi State Forward
Jared Sullinger Ohio State Guard
Marquis Teague Kentucky Guard
Hollis Thompson Georgetown Forward
Dion Waiters Syracuse Guard
Maalik Wayns Villanova Guard
Royce White Iowa State Forward
Tony Wroten Jr. Washington Guard

It's all from BCS conf, save for Will Barton (Memphis), Damian Lillard (Weber State), and CJ McCollum (Lehigh). Lillard is scoring in the mid 20s ppg and averaging 5reb 5 ast. In order for a small conf player to put go EE, they either should have insane ratings or a combination of great ratings and amazing stats. That's not what we are seeing. 

4/24/2012 2:45 PM (edited)
2011 NBA EE. Most of the midmajor or weaker conf EE, ended up withdrawing and went back to school. The few who did go EE were due to personal circumstances (dismissed from team, sexual assault charges, have a child to take care of).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/04/28/early.entry.classifications/index.html
4/24/2012 2:51 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 4/24/2012 2:51:00 PM (view original):
2011 NBA EE. Most of the midmajor or weaker conf EE, ended up withdrawing and went back to school. The few who did go EE were due to personal circumstances (dismissed from team, sexual assault charges, have a child to take care of).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/04/28/early.entry.classifications/index.html
No one is saying that the overwhelming majority shouldn't be from BCS conferences. Of course they should. I think it should be harder for non-BCS teams to lose EE's then it is right now.

What I objected to is your assertion that it should be artificially tied into strong conferences.

As I said, a great Kentucky team in a weak SEC should have the same chance of losing EE's as an equally great Kansas team in a strong Big 12.

If you agree with that statement, then we're on the same page. If you think that they should somehow artificially engineer things so that Kansas (in this example) would be more likely to lose EE's, then we are in total disagreement.
4/24/2012 3:25 PM
Posted by girt25 on 4/24/2012 3:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tianyi7886 on 4/24/2012 2:51:00 PM (view original):

No one is saying that the overwhelming majority shouldn't be from BCS conferences. Of course they should. I think it should be harder for non-BCS teams to lose EE's then it is right now.

What I objected to is your assertion that it should be artificially tied into strong conferences.

As I said, a great Kentucky team in a weak SEC should have the same chance of losing EE's as an equally great Kansas team in a strong Big 12.

If you agree with that statement, then we're on the same page. If you think that they should somehow artificially engineer things so that Kansas (in this example) would be more likely to lose EE's, then we are in total disagreement.
Sure, Kentucky won the NC, so they should be losing as many EE as Kansas. But we are not really comparing apples to apples here. A great big sky team is never to be at the same level as a great BCS conf team, but the rate of EE for great players in weaker conf is higher.  I believe that EE system should be based on player rating, team success, player stats, player awards, with things like # of wins and awards in context of conf strength. 

Right now, the EE system is looking at these factors in isolation, where conf strength doesn't seem to matter much. From what I'm seeing, a 90/90/90/90/90 big on a 30 win midmajor has a higher probability of leaving than a similar player on a middling ACC/top BCS conf, because the big on the midmajor is going to win alot of conf awards, and his team is going to win alot of games.

I just looked at the top SO/JR bigs that stayed, and the numbers are ridiculous. Rated between 800-900, with 90ish cores and 50-70 periperals.

The main reason I can see for them staying is that their team won much fewer games, and the players didn't win any awards. You seem to agree to this when you said to the St. Francis coach, a player who played on a 29 win team and won multiple awards going EE isn't really that puzzling. So under this logic, it's better to make the NT with fewer wins and even distribution in terms of fewer EE. So not only does BCS teams have baseline prestige edge, conf strength leading to more playoff cash and recruiting advantage (and the ability to replenish EE), they are further rewarded with the fewer EE because they don't have to get to 25+ wins to make the NT and the ability to play a limit their stars stat output? That's a little unfair.

4/24/2012 3:42 PM (edited)
Posted by tianyi7886

Sure, Kentucky won the NC, so they should be losing as many EE as Kansas.
I meant this is as a hypothetical example, not to mimic real life.
So again, I believe that a stacked Ohio State team in a weak Big Ten and an equally stacked/successful UCLA team in a loaded Pac-10 should have the same chances of losing an EE. Agree or disagree?

But we are not really comparing apples to apples here. A great big sky team is never to be at the same level as a great BCS conf team, but the rate of EE for great players in weaker conf is higher. 
That is not true. Why do you say that?

I believe that EE system should be based on player rating, team success, player stats, player awards, with things like # of wins and awards in context of conf strength. 
That is basically how it does work now. What we can quibble over is the weights and how they're applied. Core ratings are the most important, which makes sense. Team success is next. I do basically agree with your point that they take success for non-BCS teams out of context and penalize them too much for it. That's really the one item in the criteria that I think is awry. And I think the easiest, most straightforward solution to that end would be to simply make it harder for non-BCS teams to lose EE's. It's simply much, much harder for them to recover from the loss of a player like that, and they should take that into account.

Right now, the EE system is looking at these factors in isolation, where conf strength doesn't seem to matter much.
I'm starting to understand (I think) that you don't really mean conference strength as a whole, but rather BCS vs. non-BCS. If that is the case, we're in agreement. If you think that a stacked Ohio State team should be less likely to loss an EE if the Big Ten happens to be down, then I couldn't disagree more.

From what I'm seeing, a 90/90/90/90/90 big on a 30 win midmajor has a higher probability of leaving than a similar player on a middling ACC/top BCS conf, because the big on the midmajor is going to win alot of conf awards, and his team is going to win alot of games.
I think conference awards make no difference. National awards do help. But yes, a BCS team that doesn't make the NT is more protected from EE's than a mid-major that does, and that is due to team performance.

The main reason I can see for them staying is that their team won much fewer games, and the players didn't win any awards.
Again, it's mostly team performance.  

You seem to agree to this when you said to the St. Francis coach, a player who played on a 29 win team and won multiple awards going EE isn't really that puzzling.
I wasn't surprised because I understand how the system works. I didn't say that I agreed with it. (I don't.)

So under this logic, it's better to make the NT with fewer wins and even distribution in terms of fewer EE. 
No, not really. If you make the NT, you're susceptible to EE's.

So not only does BCS teams have baseline prestige edge, conf strength leading to more playoff cash and recruiting advantage (and the ability to replenish EE), they are further rewarded with the fewer EE because they don't have to get to 25+ wins to make the NT and the ability to play a limit their stars stat output? That's a little unfair.
Again, you seem to be putting way, way, way too much important on overall wins. If a non-BCS team went 28-1 and missed the NT, they would almost certainly not lose an EE.
4/25/2012 12:15 PM (edited)
I think we are mostly in agreement, and yes NT is generally the bare minimum for EE. 28-1 missing NT/PIT, even with a 900 rated C and great cores, and he probably stay.

I don't think we are comparing apples to apples because we are not comparing similar teams. The question is not what separates the FF team in Pac 10 and the NC runner up in Big 12 in terms of EE, but what causes the 3-5 top midmajor players (which is probably the whole pool of midmajor players that could play on NT caliber BCS teams) to go early while only about 20% of similar BCS players on NT teams left early. From what I see, it's a combination of team win total and conf awards + a small random factor. 

To make things more clear, look at this player. What caused him to go early on a PIT 3rd round team, when there are probably 100 other similar guard with same or better cores, and much better lp/reb # to stay. It's definitely the conf and national awards. This coach had to ride this guy in order to win games, and as a result, lost him early. Meanwhile, the 50 better pg/sg/sf on BCS conf gets to stay because they dont' have to load distro on one guy. Some kind of conf strength need to be taken into account. 

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=13775&pid=2077048

4/24/2012 4:34 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...10 Next ▸
EE's are getting out of hand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.