The All Time WIS Baseball team (just for fun) Topic

Wow, it was bedtime in Italy so I missed all this. mensu1954 I lived in Lexington briefly, and yes DoctorZ Bardstown is very pretty - I remember there is Shaker village there nearby too (?)

I never got to know CLK and these brilliant strategic experiments. Sometimes being new at the WIS you feel like you are tramping around the Roman Forum ruins. Trying to piece together how a civilization was once. 

St. Louis is nice too. 

The Mayor I have never even heard of till now. 
6/15/2012 4:34 AM
Posted by DoctorKz on 6/15/2012 1:19:00 AM (view original):
Is JoseCanUC still around? His league predictions were hilarious....
He's alive and well in my Page-A-Day progressive, but alas, the predictions have not accompanied his presence...
6/15/2012 10:11 AM
Props to all for reliving the goldendays of WIS and great to see you back doc. I was in many of those leagues with the good doc, musso, jose, blue911,randallball, ebby and many others. The old forums were constant. Threads couldn't stay on page 1 for all the posting, and yes, I too lost many a "beverage" reading posts not only here but in my (and others) draft forums. The 30 page limit would be hit in 2 days, and we'd have "Suchandsuch league draft thread 2" and then 3 just to get through a draft.

There are still some progressives like that, but the banter seems to be down across most leagues. Sadly, HBD stole many of the characters/villians and most of the life from the forums. It seems to me that the youth and vitriol (AKA p1ss and vinegar) went that direction.
6/15/2012 10:23 AM
I think part of the problem is that many people on the site use their phones to post instead of the old school keyboards and the site just isn't mobile friendly enough to let them post the long rants/banter that we used to do. I know that I would dedicate hours to writing league recaps and team previews and such, and with work requiring that I actually work (and blocking WIS) that its not possible to do from the phone with ease.
6/15/2012 10:32 AM
Can't believe I missed this last night! It almost felt like the old days, three pages added in mere minutes...

How can we forget guys like david_brent and ozjohnno... or personal nemesis' leaffan10 and allsox, didn't matter the league I was always losing to one of those two in the playoffs/WS, or they were in my division keeping me out the playoffs.

Theme leagues would fill in hours and we even had special forums created off-site to socialize even more...

Or how about wissearch.net aec gave us advanced search options before WIS understood the need for them, and the guys that utilized it were at a huge advantage as WIS used normalization in its engine, but not its pricing, so bargains were everywhere and wissearch was the easiest way to find them. Still had search and team building functionality that WIS lacks and I wish it was still around.

Frazz may be right, the advancement of mobile phone computing, has slowed down things here, but I think it's more economic, 2004-2006 was a decent boom and now we're in the bust phase... not enough money to go around and alot of the characters (and the site's character) have moved on. Another bunch (jasonbbq, arlenwilliam, jsturgiss86, etc...) have all moved over to HBD, and rarely venture back...
6/15/2012 11:11 AM
Posted by just4me on 6/15/2012 11:11:00 AM (view original):
Can't believe I missed this last night! It almost felt like the old days, three pages added in mere minutes...

How can we forget guys like david_brent and ozjohnno... or personal nemesis' leaffan10 and allsox, didn't matter the league I was always losing to one of those two in the playoffs/WS, or they were in my division keeping me out the playoffs.

Theme leagues would fill in hours and we even had special forums created off-site to socialize even more...

Or how about wissearch.net aec gave us advanced search options before WIS understood the need for them, and the guys that utilized it were at a huge advantage as WIS used normalization in its engine, but not its pricing, so bargains were everywhere and wissearch was the easiest way to find them. Still had search and team building functionality that WIS lacks and I wish it was still around.

Frazz may be right, the advancement of mobile phone computing, has slowed down things here, but I think it's more economic, 2004-2006 was a decent boom and now we're in the bust phase... not enough money to go around and alot of the characters (and the site's character) have moved on. Another bunch (jasonbbq, arlenwilliam, jsturgiss86, etc...) have all moved over to HBD, and rarely venture back...
oz was great and leaffan was certianly a HOF. jsturgis was a great owner as well. I followed those guys to HBD and tried hard to get them back on this side when I found HBD wasn't my cup of tea. Too bad as they were awesome owners.  My personnal nemesis was newarkwilder. He OWNED me every single postseason. I don't think I ever beat him in the postseason. 

wissearch was great, but I had tons of sites bookmarked that had AL/NL season batting averages, baseballreference.com was up every hour on my computer and we still were behind those guys. I still use BBR a lot, but not as much as I did back then.

The theme leagues back then were insta-fill, and waiting lists were everywhere. Everyone had such good ideas and every league was competitive. I second the cash aspect. WIS raised the prices from $9.95 a team to $12.95 and six packs went up, so that curbed my teams a bit. But all in all, it seems like HBD took a big part of the SLB base and it never really refilled.

6/15/2012 11:48 AM
I still miss wissearch - definitely gave me an edge.  Question to Admin: with all the + and # stats, why not RC27#?

And another name to add from the past - bosoxbill.
6/15/2012 1:02 PM
Classic...bosoxbill was every bit the character/villian on this site. Another good forum name: ArlenWilliam (he may still be around) would argue for days on topics.
6/15/2012 1:09 PM
frazzman, newarkwilder is in a theme league I am in now. The Occupation, run by emperorp. He has a 1985 Mets team twisted. 

So he at least is still playing WIS baseball. 
6/15/2012 1:21 PM
Posted by italyprof on 6/15/2012 1:21:00 PM (view original):
frazzman, newarkwilder is in a theme league I am in now. The Occupation, run by emperorp. He has a 1985 Mets team twisted. 

So he at least is still playing WIS baseball. 
I know newark is still out there lurking in the shadows of WIS, waiting for me to join a league with him in it so he can pummel me again...I respect him enough to avoid him if I possibly can! ;)
6/15/2012 1:35 PM
Really enjoyed this thread... most of the characters are gone... but not forgotten!
6/15/2012 2:00 PM
Ooooohdoggie and his constant bumping of old threads so they wouldn't disappear. Comedian#### and his humor, especialy his doctored pictures and his "ban cresten" stuff. 

DIZZY DEAN

$200k Babe Ruth, unlimited 30 game spring leagues, when people cared about their Dreams Teams and tried to build the best possible squads and the site ranked them by W%...
6/15/2012 2:56 PM
My favorite thing from the old sim days was the deadballers with 0 CS since the data didn't exist. You could steal 100s of bases with those guys and they never got caught. When they added in the CS based on whatever formula they did, I bet the usage of hitters from 1885-1919 dropped by about 90%.
6/15/2012 3:02 PM
I'd forgotten about Oz...He was/is an Australian Air Force officer, we had some good talks about Desert Shield/Desert Storm, where I'd been, where he'd been. He made a few trips over this way but we never got the chance to get together...Nice guy...
6/15/2012 4:05 PM
Posted by frazzman80 on 6/15/2012 3:02:00 PM (view original):
My favorite thing from the old sim days was the deadballers with 0 CS since the data didn't exist. You could steal 100s of bases with those guys and they never got caught. When they added in the CS based on whatever formula they did, I bet the usage of hitters from 1885-1919 dropped by about 90%.
I missed that iteration of the game, and while I don't think we should go back to that the CS% they're using now seems to be too high; it's not worth paying for high-SB deadballers because they get caught so much you can't set them to steal.  The high CS rate is especially perplexing, since there are so few decent deadball-era catcher's arms.  Odd, isn't it: there are only five A+ arms from 1885-1919 (minimum 500 PA/162), yet baserunners have such abysmal SB/SBA.
6/15/2012 5:02 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
The All Time WIS Baseball team (just for fun) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.