Clemens Topic

and what's rape got to do with it?
6/18/2012 8:59 PM
C'mon fess up Mikey. A lot of players did it in that time period. I think the records of what happened then and now back it up. It's not ok for home run hitters to juice but it is for pitchers. Get your head back on straight
6/18/2012 9:02 PM
Clemens won't get in, as won't many other cheating pricks of the era.  Bagwell, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Palmiero, etc.  Too bad for them.
6/18/2012 9:05 PM
When the prosecution's chief witness is an accused rapist, I'm not sure how far his word goes.

Clemens was being tried for lying to Congress about steroid use.   He was found not guilty.   All we have now is the word of an accused rapist.   Keeping him out of the HOF based on that is complete bullshit.
6/18/2012 9:06 PM
NOT A HOFER

CLOSED
6/18/2012 9:18 PM
INCORRECT, SMELLY SQUAW!!!
6/18/2012 9:24 PM
Last i checked Joe Jackson still isn't in the hall even though he...and the other members of the Black Sox were acquitted of all charges.  Court of public opinion (fans and writers) has him guilty as sin.  No HOF for the Rocket.
6/18/2012 11:18 PM
He bought hisself some good justice.
6/18/2012 11:19 PM
Posted by jedijeff on 6/18/2012 11:18:00 PM (view original):
Last i checked Joe Jackson still isn't in the hall even though he...and the other members of the Black Sox were acquitted of all charges.  Court of public opinion (fans and writers) has him guilty as sin.  No HOF for the Rocket.
This. Public opinion keeps him out, at least for a while.
6/18/2012 11:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2012 8:48:00 PM (view original):

Then the BB HOF should be burnt to the ground.

This.

Joe Jackson's contribution to baseball pales in comparison to Clemens'.    And, for the record, there were plenty of people testifying that the Black Sox threw the series.   You have one man, a troubled man at best, claiming Clemens took PED.    Complete bullshit.
6/19/2012 8:44 AM

You have Canseco saying Clemens took steriods too, and he was right about a lot of things.  And you did have Pettitte until he changed his mind.

There's also the circumstantial evidence of Clemens going 40-39 with a 3.77 ERA from age 30-33, which made it seem like his career was beginning to wind down, and then becoming the best pitcher in baseball once he met Brian McNamee in Toronto. (where you also saw Shawn Green go from a 15 homer hitter to a 40 homer hitter)

But you're mostly right, and that's why he was acquitted.  But I wouldn't call it "complete bullshit" if he doesn't get in.  He probably was a steroid user.

6/19/2012 9:08 AM

Very recent article wrt Canseco/Clemens.

“You have to understand this, everyone came to me for steroids and information back then, I was the man, period,” says Canseco. “He never brought it up that he ever wanted to use it, acquire it period. Roger to me was the straightest guy I’ve ever seen in my life, I never saw him cheat on his wife, I never saw him flirt, nothing.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/22/canseco-regrets-juiced-believes-clemens-never-used-steroids/

Of course, as with McNamee, I think you have to be careful with what Canseco says.   He may have been right about a lot of things but he's also a bit weasly and will obviously do anything for a buck. 

As for the circumstanial evidence, I think you can throw that out there with anyone who played during a 15-20 year timeframe.   Should no one from that time make the HOF?   Or is there a "NO PRICKS" rule?   Only nice guys?

6/19/2012 9:22 AM
Never saw him cheat on his wife. Awesome. No three ways with Jose.
6/19/2012 9:26 AM
Well, if Canseco didn't see you cheat on your wife, you obviously didn't use 'roids.  

FACT!!!!
6/19/2012 9:35 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...15 Next ▸
Clemens Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.