7/11/2012 10:23 AM
Posted by abitaamber on 7/11/2012 9:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gvsujulius on 7/10/2012 7:09:00 PM (view original):
So it is better to be at any A10 school over being at Davidson? I thought Davidson had higher baseline but am I to assume it is D under all other schools?
Davidson definitely does not have a higher baseline prestige.  The baselines were formulated before Stephon Curry arrived on the scene. 
Davidson's last pre-Stephen* Curry win in the NT?  1969.  Davidson's a terrible basketball school that got really lucky with a recruit.

*Bless his heart, he spells it normally.  His real first name's still silly, though, even if it's a family thing.  It's not T-Bone Steakburner silly, but it's silly.
7/11/2012 12:12 PM
I wouldn't say terrible --- Davidson has had two very good runs in their history --- the Curry run, and prior to that, a nice run in the 60s and early 70s with Lefty Driesell & Terry Holland at the helm.  They went through a period in the 80s where they almost dropped their athletics program entirely, and it crippled the program.  They left the SoCon, spent a couple of years in the Big South, before finally re-joining the SoCon.

They have the most tournament bids of any SoCon school, and certainly the most tournament wins.  Definitely not terrible.

That said, I wasn't advocating that they should have a higher baseline; they certainly should not.
7/19/2012 9:48 AM
Posted by Iguana1 on 6/25/2012 4:03:00 PM (view original):
the best initial grades we had were those listed after season 1 in Phelan and Knight.  I've used those grades and the results that occured that season to come up with my grades.

Georgetown was an A- in both worlds after that first season.  In one world they won the PIT and in the other they went 2 rounds in the NT. 
However West Virginia also went to the 2nd round of the NT in Knight season 1 and they also ended up at a A-.  Not likely that two teams, two grades apart in opening prestige, both end up at the same prestige grade after similiar season 1 results.  If anything Georgetown had a better season 1 resume.

Plus Georgetown also has dropped down to C- in multiple worlds. 
And when I checked about a year ago that was something I don't believe Louisville and Cincinnati had done.

I also have Arkansas at a starting grade of B, rather than a B+.
Again I compare first season results vs conference mates.  
Arkansas ended up season 1 in Phelan with a B+.    A loss in the first round of the NT, 17 wins, 42 rpi
Mississippi ended up season 1 in Phelan with a B+.  They also lost in the first round of the NT, 16 wins, 59 rpi.
Looking at Knight season 1, LSU, South Carolina and Vanderbilt all lost in the first round of the NT and ended with B+ prestige grades.
Hard to see how Arkansas is B+ and the others are B.

As somebody coaching a Georgetown team that is locked in at A- prestige, I have trouble believing that they have an A- baseline as well.
7/19/2012 9:59 AM
Posted by acn24 on 7/19/2012 9:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Iguana1 on 6/25/2012 4:03:00 PM (view original):
the best initial grades we had were those listed after season 1 in Phelan and Knight.  I've used those grades and the results that occured that season to come up with my grades.

Georgetown was an A- in both worlds after that first season.  In one world they won the PIT and in the other they went 2 rounds in the NT. 
However West Virginia also went to the 2nd round of the NT in Knight season 1 and they also ended up at a A-.  Not likely that two teams, two grades apart in opening prestige, both end up at the same prestige grade after similiar season 1 results.  If anything Georgetown had a better season 1 resume.

Plus Georgetown also has dropped down to C- in multiple worlds. 
And when I checked about a year ago that was something I don't believe Louisville and Cincinnati had done.

I also have Arkansas at a starting grade of B, rather than a B+.
Again I compare first season results vs conference mates.  
Arkansas ended up season 1 in Phelan with a B+.    A loss in the first round of the NT, 17 wins, 42 rpi
Mississippi ended up season 1 in Phelan with a B+.  They also lost in the first round of the NT, 16 wins, 59 rpi.
Looking at Knight season 1, LSU, South Carolina and Vanderbilt all lost in the first round of the NT and ended with B+ prestige grades.
Hard to see how Arkansas is B+ and the others are B.

As somebody coaching a Georgetown team that is locked in at A- prestige, I have trouble believing that they have an A- baseline as well.
+1
of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.