Updated Fair Play guidelines: Topic

I have a quick question.. Say Coach A and Coach B are in a battle but no one knows if they have spent a lot of money or not. Coach C (who isn't after the recruit at all) then says on the boards that Coach B has no shot at winning and his spent lots of money down the drain for no reason. Then Coach B gets poached after Coach C said what he said.
Is this against the rules??
7/5/2012 5:04 PM
Posted by bk41129 on 7/5/2012 5:04:00 PM (view original):
I have a quick question.. Say Coach A and Coach B are in a battle but no one knows if they have spent a lot of money or not. Coach C (who isn't after the recruit at all) then says on the boards that Coach B has no shot at winning and his spent lots of money down the drain for no reason. Then Coach B gets poached after Coach C said what he said.
Is this against the rules??
IMO not against the rules, but definitely a situation where nothing should have been said, and if I was B I'd politely request such for the future.

As I see it, unless there's been more behind-the-scenes discussion than what is given here, Coach C has no way of knowing what A or B have or haven't spent, so his comment that B has "spent a lot of money" is simply speculation that could be right or could be wrong (maybe both parties got on the kid for the bare minimum and have done nothing since...). A person viewing that comment in a vacuum has no way of knowing what has or hasn't been spent on a recruit in terms of effort (by contrast, a comment along the lines of "Dude, you must have spent at least 30 SV's to get that guy considering you" would be over the line from where I sit because it gives hint of what exactly an opposing coach would need to do in order to get in the fray). Anyone acting on C's comment could just as easily find themselves being a victim of a false assumption by C and discover that A, B or both actually have a large chunk of bank remaining.

C's comments may or may not have led directly to B's being poached (we'd have to know what the poaching coach did or didn't know when making the action...they could have initiated it due to the chat or they may have just noticed there was the appearance of a battle going on in B's recruiting tab and acted solely on that information, a difference in prestige or any of a number of other reasons).

Like I said, I wouldn't say it's against the rules, but I'd make a polite request in coaches chat as B that in the future coaches not comment upon battles and possible budget implications of a battle until the coaches involved have signed all their players. After all, it's in the best interest of the league to avoid hamstringing other member coaches by not tipping their hands and exposing their potential vulnerabilities while other leagues might still be able to exploit them.

My two cents...
7/5/2012 5:33 PM
Random question...does anyone think that requiring teams to be 1000+ miles apart really going to do anything to address sharing FSS info anymore than requiring teams to be in different divisions? Or are people who are going to cheat still going to cheat?

Full disclosure, I've already given up one team and will give up two more at the end of the Smih and Allen seasons.
7/10/2012 3:19 PM
Posted by acn24 on 7/10/2012 3:19:00 PM (view original):
Random question...does anyone think that requiring teams to be 1000+ miles apart really going to do anything to address sharing FSS info anymore than requiring teams to be in different divisions? Or are people who are going to cheat still going to cheat?

Full disclosure, I've already given up one team and will give up two more at the end of the Smih and Allen seasons.
People who cheat are going to cheat regardless. If winning a computer simulation without any real prizes is that important to them, then so be it.
7/10/2012 6:51 PM
If my team in Hawaii has extra money, I can buy FSS for Maine to help my team in Vermont.
7/10/2012 7:29 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 7/10/2012 7:29:00 PM (view original):
If my team in Hawaii has extra money, I can buy FSS for Maine to help my team in Vermont.
you can, but its a clear violation of these fair play guidelines...
7/10/2012 11:46 PM
Hes saying the 1,000 mile rule doesnt mean much.
7/11/2012 2:52 AM
Posted by mullycj on 7/11/2012 2:52:00 AM (view original):
its a compromise...it is what it is...
7/11/2012 3:07 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 7/11/2012 3:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 7/11/2012 2:52:00 AM (view original):
its a compromise...it is what it is...
Yeah, but it is a compromise that doesn't really address the alleged problem, is very difficult for WIS to enforce, and is causing long term coaches to leave teams they've spent a lot of time and effort at.

That doesn't seem like the best approach.
7/11/2012 5:18 AM
I gotcha...
7/11/2012 6:11 AM
Right, I should have quoted acn24 to clarify that it was a direct response.
7/11/2012 1:02 PM
Posted by acn24 on 7/10/2012 3:19:00 PM (view original):

I don't have a problem competing with cheaters...I'll beat them anyway
7/11/2012 1:57 PM
I'm getting real tired of hearing you say that.  How 'bout you learn to beat the people who are playing on the level first?
7/11/2012 2:13 PM
lol, fair enough...I'm an NT coach, just not an NC coach lol
7/11/2012 2:25 PM
Same here.
7/11/2012 3:01 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...10 Next ▸
Updated Fair Play guidelines: Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.