Updated Fair Play guidelines: Topic

Like folks have said, this has been going on in sitemails forever.  With the new fair play guidelines, however, one wonders how a public post on the topic will be handled by WIS.  We shall see. 
7/31/2012 1:18 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 7/31/2012 1:11:00 PM (view original):
This is really silly. Clearly viperhoop is losing a key battle and is now ******, so he's doing this out of spite. I would love to see WIS strip viperhoop of scholarships for next season but we all know it's not gonna happen.

There was a similar incident a few months ago in Knight where an ACC coach (Miami I believe) told another ACC (Duke) coach to go after the recruits of LSU, which Duke promptly did. No punishment was dealt. 
before the posting of the highly touted New Fair Play Guidelines though, right?
7/31/2012 2:14 PM
Posted by udm_mike on 7/31/2012 12:45:00 PM (view original):
How does one go about viewing that CC?  It's tiny to me and I see no way to open it up...
right click on the picture and click open image in new tab. (this is for chrome)
7/31/2012 2:29 PM
Posted by jtt8355 on 7/31/2012 2:29:00 PM (view original):
How does one go about viewing that CC?  It's tiny to me and I see no way to open it up...
right click on the picture and click open image in new tab. (this is for chrome)
Or better yet, click on the My Forums link and change your image settings.
7/31/2012 2:39 PM
I think the thing that bothers me most about this is not really knowing what is fair play and what is not.

The viperhoop comment seems to cross the line and nobody disagrees.

I would have thought that the Pac 10 comment crossed a line as well.  Although I do know that cal_bears has pointed his conference mates toward recruits for a while now.  Is that ok?  It really seems to me that it should not be.  I know that I scout states that nobody else does in my D3 conference.  I also run a school in the Northeast and never scout PA or NY, why couldn't they post recruits on the board for me?  That seems to be a complete violation of the FSS rules.

Even in the screen capture, isn't girt's declaration of his huge carryover money tipping the scales as well?  It's minor, but I thought this was the type of behavior we weren't supposed to engage in.
7/31/2012 2:43 PM
I think girt's declaration of carryover money is OK. I sometimes post things like, "I'm sure glad we got so much NT money last season!  Coaches would be foolish to battle with our conference this time. "    Hopefully, other coaches will read it and think twice about battling
7/31/2012 3:17 PM (edited)
Posted by cornfused on 7/31/2012 11:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by acn24 on 7/31/2012 11:42:00 AM (view original):
I suspect that viper's comments might protect Syracuse's other recruits simply because nobody would want to be collateral damage to any punishments viper might receive.
That's the thing, now - VT acted on the information available and made a smart move.  But how does WiS handle that?
you can't do anything to VT. smart coaches watch other coaches get in too deep all the time, and jump in the last cycle. hopefully coaches with a little dignity are only jumping on syracuse if they already were watching them, but even if not, i don't think you can do anything, except to go after viper. i don't think "he could be bluffing" is a viable excuse either, either way the goal is to incite someone to jump someone else's players, and if you let people do that, its a huge can of worms. b
7/31/2012 3:20 PM
Posted by kujayhawk on 7/31/2012 2:43:00 PM (view original):
I think the thing that bothers me most about this is not really knowing what is fair play and what is not.

The viperhoop comment seems to cross the line and nobody disagrees.

I would have thought that the Pac 10 comment crossed a line as well.  Although I do know that cal_bears has pointed his conference mates toward recruits for a while now.  Is that ok?  It really seems to me that it should not be.  I know that I scout states that nobody else does in my D3 conference.  I also run a school in the Northeast and never scout PA or NY, why couldn't they post recruits on the board for me?  That seems to be a complete violation of the FSS rules.

Even in the screen capture, isn't girt's declaration of his huge carryover money tipping the scales as well?  It's minor, but I thought this was the type of behavior we weren't supposed to engage in.
in general, i think many coaches just chose to say nothing like this, in case it could cross the rules. but i believe WIS has ruled it OK to talk about yourself, when other coaches are not directly included. so to be like, i have 150K this season! i think has been ruled ok. to be like, i have 50K into player X and am still losing, that is not OK. at least, thats how i understand it, although im not sure that is really how the fair play guidelines read.
7/31/2012 3:22 PM
Posted by isack24 on 7/31/2012 12:17:00 PM (view original):

It's not about being stupid.  I don't know how WIS can penalize coaches for recruiting Syracuse's players.  All it takes is "I was planning on doing it before signings anyway."  Collateral punishments would be terrible precedent, in my opinion. 

As for viperhoops' punishments, the problem is that now everyone will just sitemail this crap (as if they didn't before). 

WIS just needs to automatically make the penalty for any infraction done over sitemail more serious than the same thing done on the CC, assuming coaches are only reporting a fraction (and probably a small one) of the actual transgressions. not sure how you get people to turn others in for sitemail infractions though, i never did back when i was new to a d1 world and got over the line requests regularly.
7/31/2012 3:27 PM
Posted by kujayhawk on 7/31/2012 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jtt8355 on 7/31/2012 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Or better yet, click on the My Forums link and change your image settings.
Wow...I can't believe it's that easy.  Thanks.
7/31/2012 3:31 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 7/31/2012 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tianyi7886 on 7/31/2012 1:11:00 PM (view original):
This is really silly. Clearly viperhoop is losing a key battle and is now ******, so he's doing this out of spite. I would love to see WIS strip viperhoop of scholarships for next season but we all know it's not gonna happen.

There was a similar incident a few months ago in Knight where an ACC coach (Miami I believe) told another ACC (Duke) coach to go after the recruits of LSU, which Duke promptly did. No punishment was dealt. 
before the posting of the highly touted New Fair Play Guidelines though, right?
I was the LSU coach, dac -- can't remember exactly when it happened, a few seasons ago.  Don't think the new guidelines were in place.  The comment was that the Miami coach (who i know in real life), after joining a battle with me over an LA player, complained loudly on the ACC board about "LSU never has to battle anyone."  

The Duke coach (who both the Miami coach and I also know in real life) took the bait and tried to poach another of my (LA) recruits.  I wound up losing the Miami battle and winning the Duke battle (I poured all my money into the Duke battle to teach him a lesson -- plus that player was better).  I raised some hell on the ACC board, but i don't think anyone went to admin about it.  I certainly didn't -- I was ****** for a day or so, but got over myself pretty quickly.

On another point, I've always been very curious as to how much sitemailing goes on during recruiting.....  I can't imagine WIS has the time/inclination to look at people's sitemails.
7/31/2012 5:37 PM
CS says that they've punished viper but won't (yet?) say how.
7/31/2012 5:43 PM
Posted by cornfused on 7/31/2012 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by isack24 on 7/31/2012 11:07:00 AM (view original):
Out of curiosity, did girt go after any of the 'Cuse guys?
He's not that stupid.  Viper's actually put him in a bit of a bind here because he might've been planning to do so, but now it would look collusive.

I - and all of the other potential big game hunters in Allen this recruiting session - have to decide what to do about Syracuse.  It's a tough decision.

Oh, and Virginia Tech has knocked Syracuse off of a recruit from - guess where - Syracuse, New York.  And that attack happened after viper's post.
That's actually dead right. One of Cuse's guys was one of about three I was considering, and I just sort of mentally crossed him off the list after the post. Wouldn't have been worried about being punished, no reason to even give the appearance of something though. As those in DI Allen will attest, I take my "big game hunting" (as corn aptly described it above) pretty seriously.

I knew he was on my list before that, and I think any smart coaches in the area were probably already eyeing him as well -- I don't think viper told anyone they didn't already know. (I'm NOT saying that because I think his post was OK -- it obviously wasn't whatsoever, just saying it wasn't exactly a shocking insight.) 
7/31/2012 11:58 PM (edited)
I agree girt.  I think a few seasons back I probably got overexcited and started doing a rundown of the moves of most of the A+ teams in allen to date (with all public information, nothing I learned from anything other than watching the considering list of schools).  I realize now that was not a good thing to do, even if it was public information.

The top coaches in Allen are constantly watching who is vulnerable, who is not, and what the odds of winning any given battle are.  Like I was sure Oregon would get poached (trying to sign the #1PF and #2 SF on 1 scholly of $$$?), and Syracuse was in a big battle and now obviously Michigan State is is 3 big wars with 3 A level schools.  If you pay attention you noitce these things, and there is no reason to point them out.
8/1/2012 12:59 AM
Posted by cornfused on 7/31/2012 1:09:00 AM (view original):
Hey look, our first test of what gets you banned from WiS or suspended or whatever!

Here's a SG considering Maryland and Syracuse.

And, well... presented without further comment:

Just my thoughts...cimmy426 shouldn't be sharing information with viperhoops about who he's recruiting, looks like cimmy may have somehow crossed viperhoops and this was his retaliation.

And is this really that bad?  He said something that can't necessarily be proven to be true, and if you're dumb/smart enough to believe that statement, then that's the risk you take to get in on the action.

Again it seems that perhaps cimmy should learn to keep his mouth shut about his recruiting, because how would viperhoops know about it otherwise?  Where's the penalty for cimmy for  table talk as well?

Viper's post is basically hearsay, there's no proof/evidence of his claim.

8/1/2012 10:15 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...10 Next ▸
Updated Fair Play guidelines: Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.