Preseason and fatigue Topic

Is it proven that pre-season innings/ABs effect overall regular season fatigue?
7/19/2012 7:43 PM (edited)
I've seen it happen.
7/19/2012 8:10 PM
Yes.
7/19/2012 8:47 PM
Pitchers, no (some may disagree).  Hitters, definitely yes.
7/19/2012 10:29 PM
Rest your ML starters before the season begins: truth.
7/20/2012 12:10 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/19/2012 10:29:00 PM (view original):
Sure, I'll disagree.   Ask anyone who used 2-3 pitchers, exclusively, in ST how long it took their 0(0) pitcher to recover.
7/20/2012 7:06 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/20/2012 7:06:00 AM (view original):
Sure, I'll disagree.   Ask anyone who used 2-3 pitchers, exclusively, in ST how long it took their 0(0) pitcher to recover.
Tec, the only people who will not disagree are those who just haven't been paying attention.
7/20/2012 7:34 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/20/2012 7:06:00 AM (view original):
That's flat-out abuse.

If you use your pitchers "normally" in ST, there is no long-term or cumulative effect in the regular season.

Pitchers and position players fatigue and recover differently.  Pitchers fatigue is very short-term, cyclical and predictable.  Position players fatigue is long-term and cumulative.  Overuse in spring training for a position player will result in him dipping below 100% earlier in the regular season.
7/20/2012 8:16 AM
So, if you pitch your pitchers in ST at only 100%, they will not have any fatigue come the start of the season.

Yet, in what is some sort of crazy ST programming by WifS, they will have fatigue issues at the start of the season if they're abused.

Yeah, that makes sense.
7/20/2012 8:22 AM
Who ****** in your Wheaties this morning?

Try reading and understanding my 8:16am post before responding like an ***.  Try to focus on the words "long-term" and "cumulative".  Refer to dictionary.com if you become especially confused over their meanings..
7/20/2012 8:28 AM
When someone is simply wrong, won't admit it and continues to pass their bullshit off to the general public as fact, it sort of annoys me. 

So, if you would, answer this question.    Has WifS programmed in "normal" usage and "abusive" usage to have different effects in Spring Training and Regular Season?

A simple yes/no will suffice. 
7/20/2012 8:31 AM
No.  It's a single model for pitching fatigue and recovery, for all points of the season.  That's why it's predictable.

Do YOU understand the difference between normal usage and abusive usage?
7/20/2012 8:36 AM
Yes, I do.

So, if fatigue and recovery are the same for ST and regular season, wouldn't it stand to reason that a pitcher capable of 200 innings in the roughly 200 days of ST and regular season would only have 180 left in the tank if 20 of those innings were used in ST?
7/20/2012 8:42 AM
FWIW, I understand your mindset.    I don't worry about ST and pitchers because I know I'm leaving 100% innings on the table with pitchers and I'm not leaving 100% AB on the table with hitters.  But it's absolutely ludicrous to believe ST fatigue "doesn't count" with pitchers.
7/20/2012 8:47 AM
There is a short-term carry-over of fatigue from ST to the regular season for pitchers.  But it's short-term only, not long-term and/or cumulative.

And for pitchers on the major league roster, that short-term effect is often negated by the fact that you have 4/5 cycles of off-days during the "Prepare for Regular Season" part of the schedule where recovery happens.  Most ML pitchers start the season fully rested (unless they were abused during spring training by pitching at 0 (0), or if they have very low durability and by their nature recover slowly

The same is not true for minor leaguers, because they don't have any fatigue recovery from the end of ST to the beginning of the minor league season which, to me, is a flaw in the design of the engine.
7/20/2012 8:56 AM
1|2|3...10 Next ▸
Preseason and fatigue Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.