What will WifS do? Topic

i havent won a WS yet. its killing me.ive been to 4 WS and lost 3 of them in game 7s. once i was up 3-0 and lost. (still hurts). one day...
8/20/2012 6:33 PM
And this is horrible.   Not sure what you'd call it.

Satchel Paige NOR Whiskey Jacks 12 $31.0M 41-121 (.253) 4 -
Satchel Paige NOR Whiskey Jacks 13 $23.6M 52-110 (.321) 3 -
Satchel Paige NOR Whiskey Jacks 14 $31.7M 68-94 (.420) 3 -
Satchel Paige NOR Whiskey Jacks 15 $40.9M 99-63 (.611) 2 -
Satchel Paige NOR Whiskey Jacks 16 $62.3M 113-49 (.698) 1 -
8/20/2012 6:35 PM
Lost two LCS in the last week.  Up 3-1 on the eventual WS winner.

Got smoked in the other by an owner who built his team your Satchel Paige way.   Got a handful of TC asking me to please beat the "blanker".   A lot of people don't like that "strategy" as a team builder.
8/20/2012 6:38 PM
lol,nice work mike. i loved that whiskey jacks team. what you didnt say was that the team won 40 games the year before i took it over, and then got better every year after. is that really horrible? was I supposed to win 90 the next season? 
8/20/2012 6:44 PM

I'll explain why that looks like tanking(and how it applies to your HC team/comments).

Averaging 108 wins with an average payroll of 28m looks an awful lot like tanking.    Now, applying that to Hardball Central, you took over a 50 win team with 55m(I think) in committed payroll.   You comment, before the world fills, that you have a horrible team and hope you won't be booted for failing to hit 66 wins during the rebuild process.    Now, looking at SP and reading between the lines, it makes me think you're going to run a 58m payroll and win whatever.  You've laid the groundwork for another 50 win season or two. 

8/20/2012 6:52 PM
i guess i dont get it. im proud of that SP team. it was a doormat before i took it over. it improved every year i had it, while not having a high payroll. my intentions are the same in hardball. rebuild for a few seasons, then make a move. if the team won 70 games before, then i took it over and lost 100, then i would agree more. but these teams were trainwrecks that nobody wanted. if that makes me a tanker, then i cant defend myself. i guess im a tanker. 
8/20/2012 7:02 PM
look at my team in eckersly. it won 34 games the year before i got there. i have 50 wins right now at game 100. im still rebuilding, but keeping it respectable.
8/20/2012 7:08 PM
i think my best  "tank" example would be my richmond team in johnny5bench. i had 3 100 loss seasons in a row. it was after that i feel i grew as a HBD player and really dialed in what it takes. i learned alot from those experiences. now my rebuilds will be more respectable.
8/20/2012 7:29 PM
Mike, just curious, what do you think about unintentional tankers? They had RL get in the way, they can't check in often, do you give them grace? Or are they still axed?
8/20/2012 9:13 PM
It's the internet.  I don't "know" anyone.   How am I to know if RL got in the way or they were simply tanking?  Hit the MWR or move on.   I offer anyone removed for missing the MWR an opportunity to re-apply after skipping a season.   That way, intentional or not, they don't benefit from winning 35 games.
8/21/2012 8:10 AM

To further the point, tanking works.   If you have 12-18 months and don't mind losing, you can tank your way to a super team.     Bumped Tanking 101 for you. 

So, as a commish, I have a responsibility to 31 owners.   While one may have had a run of bad RL luck, there are 30 others who were playing to reach the MWR.  Therefore there can't be one rule for "Bad luck in real life" and another rule for "playing by the rules."    In the worlds I commish, MG and Coop, I've had to wave bye to some good, attentive owners for failing to hit the MWR.   Only one has had to be forcible removed(the tanker who was instrumental in the creation of 55/125/195/280 MWR) and only one complained loudly.   So far three removals have returned and a fourth is on the waitlist. 

And, FWIW, I'll remove myself if I fail to hit the MWR.   One rule for 32 owners and all situations.

8/21/2012 9:39 AM

A benefit of so many unfilled worlds:    Earlier sim times for higher numbered worlds.

GOOD JOB, WIFS!!!

8/29/2012 12:01 PM
Unless a team is a real **** storm I don't see how anyone can't win over 50 games.. I took over probably 15 replacement teams and you can pretty much tell in my history which of those records belong to those teams. Now, I've had a team or two I only won 50-55 games in consecutive seasons but it is a rare occurrence that I lose that many games two seasons in a row. In Doubleday and Ballpark Franks both worlds I have been in pretty much from the start I have never won less than 70 games in either of those worlds. After 76 completed seasons I have only lost 100 or more 7 times and 5 of those times were mid season replacement teams.

I believe  "Tanker" loses more than 100  in over half their completed seasons.. And it is obvious which teams you took over as a replacement or after a really terrible owner owned the team. It's what you do after three seasons of repairing the damage that counts. Sure, having a couple 50-55 win seasons in a row after taking over a train wreck is normal. I think there are too many picky people out there that are quick to point fingers at others and call them tankers... Too many people that think they know more than they do. Sometimes **** happens and the best way to build the team is to have a bad season or two. 
8/29/2012 4:38 PM
The only reason to win 50 in consecutive seasons is because you want to win 50 games in consecutive seasons.  The game isn't set-up for 112-50 teams or 50-112 teams.    There can be the occassional fluke but it shouldn't happen over and over again.
8/29/2012 4:46 PM
quote of tomhighway

"and the best way to build the team is to have a bad season or two"...

Or three or 6. Is there a diference?

When you feel it is ok to have a bad season or two as part of a plan isn't that the very definition of tanking?
8/29/2012 4:46 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...23 Next ▸
What will WifS do? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.