Good Samaritan Credit Topic

Yes, all leagues eventually fill.  

Anyway, the problem with discounts is exactly how I outlined it.   It's almost like a $20 fantasy football league.   Through a 20 in the pot.  Do the draft.  Stink for three weeks.  Write it off.  

Letting owners take on teams at $5-10 would mean owners hoping to get lucky and dropping out/ignoring the team when they don't.  That doesn't help a world.   And voiding contracts is a horrible idea.   That just goes back to alias abuse.
9/15/2012 2:19 PM
I agree with the cheapness factor - keep it at least $15 for the new guy, but maybe couple with other incentives (of which I have no idea). Other fantasy leagues? A SIM league? A t-shirt? Plus get the word out there.
9/15/2012 2:24 PM
supply and demand-put a moratorium on creating new worlds, and eventually, open teams become more valuable and easier to fill-there are already way too many HBD worlds out there, and yet there (almost) always seem to be new ones opening up
9/15/2012 2:36 PM
The 3 newest worlds are in their 3rd seasons.
9/15/2012 3:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/15/2012 2:19:00 PM (view original):
Yes, all leagues eventually fill.  

Anyway, the problem with discounts is exactly how I outlined it.   It's almost like a $20 fantasy football league.   Through a 20 in the pot.  Do the draft.  Stink for three weeks.  Write it off.  

Letting owners take on teams at $5-10 would mean owners hoping to get lucky and dropping out/ignoring the team when they don't.  That doesn't help a world.   And voiding contracts is a horrible idea.   That just goes back to alias abuse.
I see teams that put in the whole $25 and let their team go. 

I think a lower entry will attract players, but higher fees do not make owners more responsible for their teams.   

The discounts would not be for all teams rolling over only the teams that are so bad that nobody will take them. 

Their is little chance of alias abuse if the team is opened to the public.  Alias abuse does not work unless you can get your team back.  
9/15/2012 4:01 PM
"Alias abuse does not work"?  Bro, I've been on this site since 2005.  I've seen alias abuse wars in every sport and every forum.  It's probably started more flame wars than anything else.  Don't try to say it's not a problem.

9/15/2012 4:24 PM
damag,

I guess I figure playing the game the way it is intended is the most fun.  I was in a yahoo league (free) and a guy set up 6 teams in one league you can guess how that turned out.  So I understand that multiple alias's are a problem, but I don't think what we are talking about now, discounts on destroyed team, alias abuse would be a problem.  Free is the prime word for people that want to game the system.   
9/15/2012 7:48 PM
How about I create MikeT23 thru MikeT28 and sign up for five $5 teams in a world?  Same cash laid out as I would with one "normal" team.   Think I'd have an advantage even if I didn't "get my team back"?
9/15/2012 7:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/15/2012 7:57:00 PM (view original):
How about I create MikeT23 thru MikeT28 and sign up for five $5 teams in a world?  Same cash laid out as I would with one "normal" team.   Think I'd have an advantage even if I didn't "get my team back"?
Or you could pay the entire $25 per team and pay $125 what is the difference. 

First - If you are going to game the system the $25 or $ 125 your going to do it.

Second - Most leagues will not have 5 totally destroyed teams and one person with 5 alias can not guarentee that he will get 5 teams. 

Third - This would be up to WIS if they were going to offer a discount to fill the spot.  Maybe they offer the discount to MikeT23 because he is a good owner in his other leagues.  Kind of like they are going to pay you (discount) to rebuild a team.  Perhaps a qualified pool of owners. 

Four - This would not be for every league just the impossible to fill leagues and for private (which seems to be the problem) the league would have to ask for the help.

Five - Give me solution.
9/16/2012 10:07 AM
Seriously?  What's the difference between spending $25 and spending $125?

That would be $100.
9/16/2012 4:46 PM
Maths is hard.  Except in that case.
9/16/2012 6:37 PM
The solution, BTW, is to wait it out.  All worlds fill.  Every fall we have plenty of the Chicken Little threads.  Then, magically, football ends and the world is right again.   It's less about money, if 8 bucks a month stops you from joining you really shouldn't join, and more about time.    I can afford more teams, at 25 bucks a pop, but I can't run more teams because of time.  And I probably have more free time than the Average Joe. 
9/16/2012 6:41 PM
Mike spelling must be your weak point really "Maths"??? 

But as you said "it is less about money" if you are going to cheat as $5 a team you're going to cheat at $25 per team. 

Right now I am in public league.  After I get better at playing the game and figure out the ratings I will be looking for a private league to join.  The things I will look at is how may openings, how quick the league rolls over, the type of owners, the world rules and the quality of the team I would be buying.  In that order. 

In the end I guess you are right I would pay $25 even to have a crappy team in a good league.
9/17/2012 12:18 PM (edited)

It's a long-standing joke.   I guess it's an inside joke since you didn't get it.    Nonetheless, if you're going to be a grammar/spelling Nazi, don't screw up in your next sentence.

As was previously mentioned, the difference between 25 and 125 is 100.  Finances could play a part in how desperate one is to cheat their way to a title.

9/17/2012 8:02 AM
stew much have money flowing out of his ******* if he sees no difference between spending $25 and spending $125.
9/17/2012 8:11 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Good Samaritan Credit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.