I know people have been saying guards aren't going EE enough...perhaps now it's been taken too far?

http://whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=4287&pid=2132499
8/27/2012 12:07 AM
Seems ok if he is red in most of his cores.
8/27/2012 12:25 PM
That scrub shouldn't go pro early.
8/27/2012 2:58 PM
He was 2nd Team All-ACC. I don't see a problem. 
8/27/2012 5:55 PM
I don't see a huge problem, but that guy is hardly elite. 
8/27/2012 6:03 PM
Posted by car_crazy_v2 on 8/27/2012 5:55:00 PM (view original):
You realize that conf awards does not impact EE right? This guy is very mediocre for D1. 
8/27/2012 8:44 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 8/27/2012 8:44:00 PM (view original):
You realize that conf awards does not impact EE right? This guy is very mediocre for D1. 
Definitely not mediocre for D1. Maybe mediocre for a BCS guard but don't underestimate how much cores matter. The NPOY in Tark D1 had 57ath and was in the Big East which was the #1 RPI conference, and that same player led D1 in scoring as a junior. 
8/27/2012 9:02 PM
I don't know a thing about EE so I shouldn't comment.  Not that ignorance ever stops me ...

What are the chances that this wasn't a guard going Early Entry?  Now that players are being considered for all five positions, is it possible that the formula is considering this a player that would declare as a SF?
8/27/2012 9:11 PM
Posted by kmasonbx on 8/27/2012 9:02:00 PM (view original):
Definitely not mediocre for D1. Maybe mediocre for a BCS guard but don't underestimate how much cores matter. The NPOY in Tark D1 had 57ath and was in the Big East which was the #1 RPI conference, and that same player led D1 in scoring as a junior. 
You are talking about this guy right? He's maxed out in speed, which carries significant value for guards. There is a world of difference between this guy and the Duke guy I posted. And on the topic of the Seton Hall player, sure he's scoring a ton, but he's doing it very inefficiently. 

In Rupp, there are 31 EE this season, almost 50% of the draft will be EE. That is the most I have ever seen. 
8/27/2012 9:11 PM
Actually his senior year he was very efficient. Don't let the overall FG% fool you, 73% of his shots were 3s, where he shot over 40%, which gave him a true shooting % of just over 60%. Also you're trying to make it  seem like there is some big gap between the two players when there absolutely isn't. The only thing Calfee has over Thompson is speed, the athleticism/D/per/bh/pass are essentially a wash. Thompson then has a sizeable edge when it comes to rebounding and has much better LP. 

I'm not saying Thompson was a slam dunk EE but calling him mediocre isn't true at all. 
8/27/2012 9:26 PM
with some of the players who haven't been going early, like guards who "only" have 90 in everything, instead of 98s here and there - its semi ridiculous this guy left. 60 ath, 79 speed, 83 defense... thats so far from early entry material its not even funny. stats are not a factor in leaving early, you are supposed to only have to look at ratings, school success, and the 6 man max to figure out early entries (at least, i think so, but maybe prestige is a factor too or something?). duke made the PIT, lost in the 3rd round, and this guy is supremely unimpressive. 

south carolina this year, we bowed out a little early, in the sweet 16, but thats still much better than duke's pi3. i was worried primarily about 2 guys leaving, and for example, i thought hill was safe -
98 ath, 93 speed, 25 reb, 91 def, 37 blk, 25 lp, 90 per, 91 bh, 93 pass, 64 we, 82 sta, 48 dur, C ft.   in the end, nobody left early, but this guy was definitely not the most likely or second or third even. i guess he was only a soph, but other than that, hes 7 per and 7 bh shy of the dude who left early, and vastly better elsewhere. 

to the guy who mentioned maybe he was evaluated as a sf, i wonder about that too. i had a guy who i thought was safe as a guard, but i worried he might leave as a sf. but the sfs out there, the top ones, have ridiculously high ratings. so i felt this guy would probably stay, and he did... he was my #2 concern on the EE front though -
99 ath, 78 spd, 59 reb, 35 blk, 60 lp, 69 per, 99 bh, 80 pass, 71 we, 95 sta, 59 dur, B- ft.

as a sf, my guy crushes the dude who went early, and they are both juniors - so if my stayed, i would definitely think this guy was not close. my guess is that players sort of get like, a % chance of leaving, and then the RNG decides. so maybe hill and zulauf were both higher % chance to leave than the duke guy, and i really don't think you want to make EEs TOO predictable... but still. my opinion is this guy is over the line. i wouldnt be surprised if he goes undrafted honestly... and you should never miss the NT and have a guy go bottom half of the 2nd round. i think that is this guy's best hope. assuming, that is, that stats dont matter in where you get drafted, knowing they don't affect if you go pro. i wonder about that tho... i think i'll send a ticket, id really like to know.
8/27/2012 9:47 PM
If you think that guy from Duke is good enough to go EE in D1, we just have to agree to disagree kmason. I guess I should be kissing the earth that Jon Verner stayed for his SR year for me...
8/27/2012 9:53 PM
I'm not sure that "mediocre" is the best description for that guy.  He's not Michael Jordan, but he's certainly not mediocre.  I'd have him on my team, with no reservations.
8/27/2012 10:25 PM
Definitely not saying he should be a EE, I'm just completely disagreeing with your claim that he's mediocre or that Calfee is much better. 
8/27/2012 10:34 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.