Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Now people are hijacking the thread to talk about "The Matrix" and what life might be like if we replaced our body parts?  LOL *rolls eyes*

Whoever said I don't have to adjust my coaching decisions to demands of players is wrong.

What if I inherited a team full of terrible juniors and seniors and recruit freshmen and sophomores who are better? I play the underclassmen and all of my upperclassmen complain and drop WE so they become less productive as backups. Now if I don't want that to happen, I have to cave to their demands.

Also, everyone seems to be ignoring the main point, which is I don't want to see a WE drop for something as stupid as five minutes of playing time. That's what it comes down to - five freaking minues of playing time. He gets almost five and he wants ten. What a whiny little b**** he is.
9/1/2012 11:16 AM
Why do you take a digital player complaining so personal?  You act like they're attacking you and leaving flaming bags of poo on your doorstep.

And why would you possibly care about a WE drop for upperclassmen when you're obviously in a rebuilding mode?  If your seniors drop in WE, big deal, they're leaving anyways.  If your juniors drop, big deal, they're back ups and I'd rather them transfer so I could replace them with my own player and get that season of development sooner.  Sometimes not giving a player minutes is a strategic move so you make him transfer.  You want to take that away?

What you don't understand is that these players exist only to play basketball.  It doesn't matter if they're D3 to low-high D1 - think of it like basketball is the only thing they have in their lives.  You want them to be diversified and have feeling and all this, but this is a basketball game.  You take away basketball, the only reason these players exist, and of course they should experience some sort of drop - you're removing the reason for their creation.  

WIS already tried to dip their toe in the water of being about more than basketball with the dilemmas they tried to implement long ago, and look how wonderful that turned out (</sarcasm>).  Because that's really what you're asking for is to bring in something similar to dilemmas, even if it is geared to point a different direction and named something different, I would foresee the same type of result.  They'd strip 90% of it out a year from now (leaving the window dressing lying around) and we'd be back where we started, only we'd have even more questions on the forums asking why coaches should care if a guy got in a fight with his girlfriend or if he returned a $20 he found on the ground.
9/1/2012 11:30 AM
As bistiza said-"What a whiny little b**** he is."

Pot...meet kettle.
9/1/2012 11:30 AM
if you inherit poor players cut them. even taking a walk-on is better than saddling your team with players you now know will complain and lose WE. It really isn't relevant if you convince people here that your position has merit. None of them can alter the game. Send a ticket as I suggested if it is something you think you can pursue, and convince the folks that matter. If you determine at some point that you'll just have to deal with it as it is, you'll find that many people have been giving good suggestions on how to deal with it, (pad his numbers against weak sim opponents for instance - if you increase his minutes that WE will come back - someone has probably mentioned that but I did not want to go check) since they've encountered it before too.
9/1/2012 12:37 PM
bistiza, I've been trying to be helpful, but I have to post something meant in jest. I preface my remarks as such so you know that this isn't another attack.

Ryrun, I've been thinking for a while now that someone would come along and tell bistiza that you could interpret the kid's character from the scouting eval messages that used to indicate dilemmas - he'd never know since if he believed it he'd never recruit the kids with the bad character remarks and, like everyone else has said, since he'll be recruiting all the players soon enough, very probably his juniors will be better than his freshmen and the issue will never arise again anyway... it'd be a win, in kind of, even if it was total bs...
9/1/2012 12:41 PM
Whoever said I don't have to adjust my coaching decisions to demands of players is wrong.
That was me (among others) and no, you are wrong.  You proved it yourself.
What if I inherited a team full of terrible juniors and seniors and recruit freshmen and sophomores who are better? I play the underclassmen and all of my upperclassmen complain and drop WE so they become less productive as backups. Now if I don't want that to happen, I have to cave to their demands.
You don't HAVE to do anything.  It is your choice.  Each choice you make has a benefit and a consequence.  The existence of a consequence you dislike does not mean you are forced to choose the other option.  Q E fuckin' D, man.

And seriously!  I worry for you.  You really seem to be kind of destabilized by the perceived personalities of nonexistent people.  This would probably be a lot more enjoyable for you if you could somehow shift your perspective from "cave to their demands" to "click in the drop-down box and make an adjustment and go have a beer".
9/1/2012 12:46 PM
I kinda dig when some folks get involved in the rp of the game and don't trust treat it like a big math problem llama - not to address any other aspects of this thread... I've cussed out an ungrateful bastard who whined about minutes or some dipshit that couldn't pull a 2.5 despite 20 minutes SH a time or two myself 
9/1/2012 12:49 PM
Me too!  I have a real love-hate relationship with William Journey.  That friggin guy... but I'm not gearing up for a rampage through the BSU campus, yknow?
9/1/2012 12:56 PM
I hear ya
9/1/2012 12:57 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/1/2012 11:16:00 AM (view original):
Now people are hijacking the thread to talk about "The Matrix" and what life might be like if we replaced our body parts?  LOL *rolls eyes*

Also, everyone seems to be ignoring the main point, which is I don't want to see a WE drop for something as stupid as five minutes of playing time. That's what it comes down to - five freaking minues of playing time. He gets almost five and he wants ten. What a whiny little b**** he is.
If they are "terrible juniors and seniors" (your words there),  then WHY WOULD YOU CARE IF THEY COMPLAIN?  If they suck that bad, WHO CARES?  Either cut 'em or let them rot on the bench, why is that so hard to get through your head?
9/1/2012 1:03 PM
The solution to your problem Bistiza is to have a roster full of walk-ons.  Give them all schollies and their work ethics will all shoot up to near 100.  They won't complain in the least if they don't get ANY minutes, all season.  You can coach them up to your heart's desire, do whatever you want, with whatever lineups you want, and whatever kind of depth chart you want.  It would fulfill your dreams of how you would like to coach your team.  No one would complain, EVER!  Outside of that, if you decide to sign, you know, actual players, you're gonna have to deal with them wanting minutes.  It's just how the game is set up.  Sorry, but that's just the reality of the situation.
9/1/2012 1:16 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Two things....

1)     If your team is one of the most skilled team in DIII, perhaps the previous coach didn't do such a bad job in his recruiting.

2)     For goodness sake, if the guy is going to be useful to your team next year then get him FIVE more minutes per game.  So, even though you consider this guy an asset you are willing to cut all his playing time and even bench him during practice sessions. 

Okay, I was wrong there is a third thing...

3)     I read all the threads in HD forums.  You have posted several and in some of those threads people have given you very good advice and you have even accepted that advice politely and cordially.  Even some of the people that have been critical in this thread have been helpful in others.  The difference is in this one you really opened yourself up to the criticism.  You started preaching your own WE beliefs.  It IS human nature that people don't work as hard if the reward system is taken away.  In this case you received the message so it is your understanding that this guy is experience a feeling of sour grapes.  However, in real life, a player may not be working as hard because of a similar situation to this, but that player may not even realize it.  They just aren't practicing as hard or they lose a step in practice.  This is normal and the guy you are referring to is the exception, the feel good story. 

You call the guy a whiny little *****, a prima donna,  it's laughable.  You are taking it way too personal
9/1/2012 4:51 PM
rudy, rudy, rudy
9/1/2012 6:19 PM
So, you say: 
What if I inherited a team full of terrible juniors and seniors and recruit freshmen and sophomores who are better?

Then I say:
...why would you possibly care about a WE drop for upperclassmen when you're obviously in a rebuilding mode?

But then you say:
You suggesting of all things that I may be in rebuilding mode clearly shows you don't understand the circumstance at all, which may be why you continually say things that don't make sense for my situation.
So you come up with a scenario, I reference it, but suddenly I don't understand? I've honestly had more productive conversations with my two year old daughter.
9/1/2012 10:02 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...32 Next ▸
Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.