Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Well, now things make more sense. He admits he has low standards for greatness and claims he's great at logic/debating. Could be true by his standards.

Hellen Keller had equally great eyesight.
9/4/2012 8:03 PM
in Lake Wobegon all of our teams are great and all of our players try their best all of the time, almost all anyhow
9/4/2012 9:45 PM
I can't believe I read all 24 pages of this.  This is what happens when my wife works late and my soccer game gets rained out.  I also can't believe I'm posting into this mess but it will only be once, I promise.  A few things I have questions/comments on:
1.  It is incredibly ironic that a guy who does not want his players to complain and only work harder to get better if things don't go their way seems to be complaining, for 24 pages, all of which I sadly read, instead of looking over his team and/or asking for help from the great coaches on here as to how he could get/do better. 
2.  Now I'm still fairly new at this, just about 20 - 25 seasons under my belt, but it seems that being able to promise minutes past freshman year does make some sense and goes to the main point of the argument.  For example, I promised a freshman 20 minutes this year (4 star recruit who could play and I'm rebuilding A- at Clemson in Crum).  Next year (6 open scholies) if I find a stud freshman that is better, the guy starting 20 games and playing 20+ minutes a game will all of a sudden be happy with 8 - 10 and being a back-up.  That is ludicrous but I think true.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  It seems like promises should be for the player's career. 
3.  I'd like to see promised minutes for future seasons.  For example, Coach A tells a kid, "look, sit your freshman and sophomore years (or possibly redshirt), no promised minutes, but as a junior you'll get 10 minutes and as a senior start and get 20 minutes.  Most coaches know how the player will grow each year and if you could possibly recruit anybody better, so promises like this could be made, unlike real life.  If you don't fulfill them any year the kid leaves and recruiting prestige as a coach goes down because you lie to players.  This would also allow players like bistiza to never promise any minutes.  He might lose recruits to coaches promising time over 3 or 4 years, but he seems willing to do that if  WE would not go down.  Just an idea...
9/4/2012 9:50 PM
Posted by piman314 on 9/4/2012 9:50:00 PM (view original):
I can't believe I read all 24 pages of this.  This is what happens when my wife works late and my soccer game gets rained out.  I also can't believe I'm posting into this mess but it will only be once, I promise.  A few things I have questions/comments on:
1.  It is incredibly ironic that a guy who does not want his players to complain and only work harder to get better if things don't go their way seems to be complaining, for 24 pages, all of which I sadly read, instead of looking over his team and/or asking for help from the great coaches on here as to how he could get/do better. 
2.  Now I'm still fairly new at this, just about 20 - 25 seasons under my belt, but it seems that being able to promise minutes past freshman year does make some sense and goes to the main point of the argument.  For example, I promised a freshman 20 minutes this year (4 star recruit who could play and I'm rebuilding A- at Clemson in Crum).  Next year (6 open scholies) if I find a stud freshman that is better, the guy starting 20 games and playing 20+ minutes a game will all of a sudden be happy with 8 - 10 and being a back-up.  That is ludicrous but I think true.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  It seems like promises should be for the player's career. 
3.  I'd like to see promised minutes for future seasons.  For example, Coach A tells a kid, "look, sit your freshman and sophomore years (or possibly redshirt), no promised minutes, but as a junior you'll get 10 minutes and as a senior start and get 20 minutes.  Most coaches know how the player will grow each year and if you could possibly recruit anybody better, so promises like this could be made, unlike real life.  If you don't fulfill them any year the kid leaves and recruiting prestige as a coach goes down because you lie to players.  This would also allow players like bistiza to never promise any minutes.  He might lose recruits to coaches promising time over 3 or 4 years, but he seems willing to do that if  WE would not go down.  Just an idea...

#3 was what the OP asked about in the first place so if this was actually in place, the kid would of been promised minutes by the previous coach and he would of *******/moan like he did anyway and the OP would of been the one taking the rep hit instead of the other coach as he rode out of town to another school.

The only way multiple season promises can work is if the coach is stuck for those seasons at that school which usually has its flaws in implementation and other reasons.

9/4/2012 10:17 PM
milk,

I find it amazing you couldn't find a definition of statistical probability (because what you say you found sure isn't it).

I'm not wasting any more time trying to explain to you how your assumption was incorrect. It won't do any good until you get the concept of statistical probability.

You jumped to an incorrect conclusion based upon your own misunderstanding of what I said. That's all I'm saying unless you demonstrate a grasp of the concept, which if you did, it would show you how you're wrong without me having to do it.

piman,

I was seeking information and advice from other coaches. It just happens some of them went off on a crusade to prove me wrong. I don't like people using logical fallacies in an attempt to prove someone (anyone, not just me) wrong  - it's like a pet peeve. So I pointed those otu and it set people off even more. Hopefully the topic is now back on track.

It's nice to see that someone agrees kids should be willing to sit in certain circumstances. I knew I wasn't the only person out there who believed in this - now others can see that too.

I would make the addition that promised minutes stick with the coach who promises them. Once that coach is gone, if another coach comes in, no promises exist anymore.

9/4/2012 10:42 PM
"I would make the addition that promised minutes stick with the coach who promises them. Once that coach is gone, if another coach comes in, no promises exist anymore. "

whoa nellie, we are talking about student athletes - they came to Ruritania State for an education and to the extent feasible to play ball.  I dont think that Dean Wermer would feel that the mere departure of a coach should change that relationship with the SCHOOL.  As Dean, I would expect every kid to try his hardest all the time - and I would expect every coach to stand by every promise that our SCHOOL has made.  I am shocked that someone could even think that a mere change in the coach would wipe away all of the reciprocal obligations by school and player to try their best all the time and to keep their promises.  Shocked.

9/4/2012 11:25 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/4/2012 10:42:00 PM (view original):
milk,

I find it amazing you couldn't find a definition of statistical probability (because what you say you found sure isn't it).

I'm not wasting any more time trying to explain to you how your assumption was incorrect. It won't do any good until you get the concept of statistical probability.

You jumped to an incorrect conclusion based upon your own misunderstanding of what I said. That's all I'm saying unless you demonstrate a grasp of the concept, which if you did, it would show you how you're wrong without me having to do it.

piman,

I was seeking information and advice from other coaches. It just happens some of them went off on a crusade to prove me wrong. I don't like people using logical fallacies in an attempt to prove someone (anyone, not just me) wrong  - it's like a pet peeve. So I pointed those otu and it set people off even more. Hopefully the topic is now back on track.

It's nice to see that someone agrees kids should be willing to sit in certain circumstances. I knew I wasn't the only person out there who believed in this - now others can see that too.

I would make the addition that promised minutes stick with the coach who promises them. Once that coach is gone, if another coach comes in, no promises exist anymore.

this is your EXACT quote.

""The people do exist and I explained that to you before. It's just probability""

you then said probability is different  from probably.  i called you out on it, proved you wrong, using your EXACT words, so instead of conceding you are wrong, like a man, you change what you said and suddenly start talking about statistical probability, which i have to inform you, are 2 different words.

either way, anything involving probability by any definition involves the LACK OF CERTAINTY.  liklihood, no matter how likely, is not certain.  so no matter how you spin YOUR OWN WORDS, i proved you wrong. 

no jumping to conclusions.  no misunderstanding.  YOU ARE A LIAR.  and I am done trying to help you.  your arrogance is astounding, and is only matched by your lunacy.
9/5/2012 7:09 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 9/4/2012 11:26:00 PM (view original):
"I would make the addition that promised minutes stick with the coach who promises them. Once that coach is gone, if another coach comes in, no promises exist anymore. "

whoa nellie, we are talking about student athletes - they came to Ruritania State for an education and to the extent feasible to play ball.  I dont think that Dean Wermer would feel that the mere departure of a coach should change that relationship with the SCHOOL.  As Dean, I would expect every kid to try his hardest all the time - and I would expect every coach to stand by every promise that our SCHOOL has made.  I am shocked that someone could even think that a mere change in the coach would wipe away all of the reciprocal obligations by school and player to try their best all the time and to keep their promises.  Shocked.

Well, I think the issue is two-fold.  The player's reaction vs. the potential (and as we all know, irrelevant) rep hit.

I don't think the new coach owes any duties to the players currently on the roster when he takes over.  Why should he?  The coach shouldn't take a rep hit for refusing to honor someone else's promise.  On the other hand, I agree, the promise shouldn't go away, and the player, based on his personality, should either be willing to accept or reject a new role with a new coach.  Personally, I think there should be more transfers in HD anyway.
9/5/2012 7:24 AM
milk,

You called me out for YOUR misunderstanding of what I said.

Probability referenced statistical probability when I said it. If you didn't understand that, perhaps you should've asked instead of jumping to conclusions and then accusing me of being wrong based on YOUR incorrect conclusions.

Let's be clear: YOU assumed I meant something other than statistical probability. YOU had the ability to ask if you were unsure, and yet YOU made an incorrect assumption and YOU jumped to incorrect conclusion as a result.

In this case, no, it's not certain. In fact, the statistical probabiliity those coaches and players dont' exist is prohibitively small, which means it's as close to certain as you can reasonably be.

You haven't proven me wrong at all. You've served to show you severely misunderstood what I meant and went on a self-important mission to prove me wrong because of it.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and frustration by simply asking me to clarify what I meant. 

I'm done trying to explain this to you, because in your own mind, your misunderstandings are other people's fault because they must have lied to you. It couldn't be that you jumped to conclusions, because you are perfect. *rolls eyes*

isack,

I agree the coach shouldn't be responsible for promises made by someone else. But I do think the promise should simply go away. If a coach is assuming a team, he should be able to do so knowing he owes them nothing but what he promises - at least  in the simulated HD world.
9/5/2012 8:32 AM
So it's milk's fault that he took what you said as what you said rather than what you meant?  That's about the fifth or sixth time in this thread you've tried arguing that someone should ask what you meant rather than what you said.  Maybe you should try saying what you mean instead of waiting for someone to find a hole in what you said and then trying to backtrack.

Let's be clear:  YOU said something other than statistical probability.  YOU had the ability to clearly state what you meant.  YOU made an incorrect statement.  YOU got upset when someone took what you said at face value.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by simply saying what you mean.  And this "misunderstanding" is totally your fault because you don't speaka da english too well apparently.  Say what you mean, mean what you say, and own up to it when you **** up.
9/5/2012 8:52 AM
Posted by ryrun on 9/5/2012 8:52:00 AM (view original):
So it's milk's fault that he took what you said as what you said rather than what you meant?  That's about the fifth or sixth time in this thread you've tried arguing that someone should ask what you meant rather than what you said.  Maybe you should try saying what you mean instead of waiting for someone to find a hole in what you said and then trying to backtrack.

Let's be clear:  YOU said something other than statistical probability.  YOU had the ability to clearly state what you meant.  YOU made an incorrect statement.  YOU got upset when someone took what you said at face value.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by simply saying what you mean.  And this "misunderstanding" is totally your fault because you don't speaka da english too well apparently.  Say what you mean, mean what you say, and own up to it when you **** up.
stay calm ryrun - you are sounding like a coach with ridiculous expectations - next you'll be saying that all players should try their hardest all the time in this game and that all posters should always express themselves well in the forums.
9/5/2012 9:08 AM

ryrun,

Milk didn't take what I said for what it was. Milk took what I said for what he wanted it to be, as that would allow him to make a goofy statement he thought would poke fun at me. If milk was confused about what I meant, milk could have asked for clarification. milk chose not to do that, and that's not my fault.

When I said probability, it meant statistical probability. That should have been obvious given the context of what I was referencing.

If, however, it somehow wasn't obvious, anyone has the ability to ask rather than jump to conclusions. That would have been the responsible thing to do, but when poeple want to jump on me every chance they get for no reason, of course they'd rather take the less responsible route and attack first and ask questions later.

I said what I meant. He was so bent on attacking me he ignored the obvious meaning, didn't both asking if he wasn't sure, and went straight in for what he assumed.

You're right, though. This is the fifth or sixth time someone has tried to twist something I've said because it makes it easy for them to attack it. Try having a real conversation instead of looking to attack things and you might not misinterpret them so much.

9/5/2012 10:05 AM
milk didn't twist what you said, milk quoted your exact words, and when you looked foolish, milk laughed as you changed your stance.   milk wasn't confused about what you meant, it appears you are. 

no one twists what you say, we just point out to you why you are mistaken, and you choose to believe what you want.    you have attacked everyone on this thread, yet seem to think only you are being attacked.  you consistently act like only you can understand what you say, a superiority complex that I have never seen at this level before. 

just because no one agrees with you doesn't mean you are right and we are all stupid.   you aren't talking quantum physics here.  we can easily understand what you say, it doesn't require clarification.   no one jumps to conclusions except you, who began with a belief and has consistenly had post after post show you why you are wrong, yet you still cling to..........well, i'm right, so you must be too stupid to understand.

as much fun as it is watching you dig yourself deeper, i'm done with this.  the only thing you have proven is that you won't admit when you are wrong. 

hope you make a good run in the PIT
9/5/2012 10:26 AM
bistiza,

Well then you should probably be more accurate in what you say.  If you leave the door that wide open for someone to simply take what you said word for word and get a different meaning than what you intended, then that fault lies with you, not anyone else.  It'd be different if he had to inject words into your statement, but he literally posted your exact quote.

And I haven't once seen you ask for clarification from someone before responding to what they've said.  So people are required to ask you for clarification before refuting any of your points, but you don't have to do the same?  Is that how this works?  Because I remember 15 pages or so ago you talking about a scenario in which a coach was rebuilding in regards to all of this, I mentioned rebuilding in a response, and then you said something about how I obviously didn't understand what I was talking about because you obviously weren't in a rebuilding state.

You're just running in circles.  You set double standards.  You contradict yourself.  You don't write what you mean (or, at least, what you wanted to mean once someone points out what you actually said is wrong but you don't want to admit that).  You keep telling people they are misinterpreting what you're saying, but all they're doing is reading what you're writing.  Your posts are an absolute train wreck and you're completely (literally - like 100%) oblivious to that fact.  

But really, keep it up, it's hilarious to watch you keep digging this hole while thinking you're on top of the mountain.
9/5/2012 10:26 AM
ryrun, do you honestly belive what you're saying?

Next to nothing you've said is true, and I think you're aware of it. But you're so desperate to attack me, you'll say anything to make it happen.

I was entertained when people actually tried to debate me here. But between milk's attempts to twist what I say and your encouragment of him and then your complete nonsense, I'm done.

You aren't even trying to engage in a real debate anymore, so this is pointless. If you want to waste time attacking people for no reason, go find someone else, because you're not worth my time.
9/5/2012 10:48 AM
◂ Prev 1...22|23|24|25|26...32 Next ▸
Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.