Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

I really don't mean to prolong the discussion.  I do want to note that there's no reason for every player to have exactly the same reaction to riding the pine.  If this is the main point, I concede.
8/30/2012 8:32 PM
"I now realize according to other people every simulated recruit and player in this game is a complete b**** and will cry like a baby if they don't get certain things, whether or not those things are realistic for the situation or the team."

I think this quote sums everything up.  Stop thinking your players are complete *******. They are not real.  They have no personality. It just sounds ridiculous.

Don't try to crowbar your own logic into the sim.  It is what it is.  Here is a quote you can use in future threads and I don't even mind if you don't credit me every time you use it...."Damn, I wish that wasn't the case, but thank you for letting me know how the engine operates.  Now I can coach even better within the limits of the game."
8/30/2012 8:44 PM
bis - would you be happier if you got no message of complaint, the kid just took it like a man, but his WE did drop a smidge and there was some chance that he would leave - but with no message?

how about if there was usually no message and each kid had a different chance of leaving - getting fed up with his situation and moving on?

if there is no message, is the kid a "prima dona" if he decides to leave where he isnt getting to play?
8/30/2012 9:13 PM
?Stop thinking your players are complete *******. They are not real.  They have no personality. It just sounds ridiculous.

I"m merely describing how their message indicates they're acting. Whether you think it "sounds ridiculous" is not of concern to me.

?Don't try to crowbar your own logic into the sim.  It is what it is. 

And it's supposed to be (however loosely) based upon real life college basketball. They've made many changes to it over the years it's been on this site - I know, I"ve been here since it HD began. There's no reason further changes couldn't be in the future, and they often take suggestions from those who play the games. That means you don't have to simply sit back and accept "it is what it is" - you can accept it for the present, suggest changes, and hope they are implemented. If not, then you deal with it.

The bottom line is it's not "my logic", but merely something that could be changed to make things a bit better and more well rounded. If it never happens, so be it. Still, once again, there is no reason to say "it is what it is" and just leave it be.

The forums exist to discuss issues (like this and others) and find out information. There's no reason for you or anyone else to say I shouldn't discuss this topic.

?would you be happier if you got no message of complaint, the kid just took it like a man, but his WE did drop a smidge and there was some chance that he would leave - but with no message?

No. But I would be happier if the kid sent you a message and sometimes he'd say "just like to let you know I'd like to get more minutes, but I understand you're the coach and you are doing what is best for the team, so no big deal if you can't" or something like that. He shouldn't always get angry and threaten to quit the team.

?if there is no message, is the kid a "prima dona" if he decides to leave where he isnt getting to play?

Of course he is. It's not the message that makes him a "prima donna", it's making demands and ultimatums and  putting himself above the team. Again, I don't mind if SOME players have that attitude, but some shouldn't. Ideally, we'd be able to learn of this during recruiting and decide who we want on our teams with that as one factor. But if we can't, then we can't.
8/31/2012 8:31 AM
if the point is where bis has now evolved - that SOME kids should cope just fine with limited minutes and that there should be a range of reactions, I agree - adding texture and variability is in my opinion a good thing.

I think MOST kids should have SOME negative reaction to low minutes, as they get more senior.  Some should have worse reactions and some should have less.

Texture is good, if doable.
8/31/2012 10:36 AM
+1
8/31/2012 10:43 AM
The point has ALWAYS been that SOME kids should be fine with limited minutes.

It just got sidetracked by a few people trying to tell me how wrong I was to even have such an opinion and a few others trying to hijack the thread with personal attacks.

I'm glad to see I've managed to bring this thread back on track, and even more glad to see that several people agree the idea of the same universal reaction to minutes isn't the best way to do things.
8/31/2012 11:03 AM
I confess, that was not how I read the opening post in this thread - but thats an easy yes
8/31/2012 11:28 AM
The problem is that WHY would you want Seble to implement such a feature?  Who would want to know ahead of time if a kid would be OK with sitting on the bench for 4 seasons?  If the kid is worth your money to recruit him, I'm assuming you want to give him the play time.

The only thing I can think of that even might make sense is to give us some type of range (potential) on WE.  But it would probably have to be if its high it would be for both ways (can increase alot or decrease alot) and perhaps there's one that's low or none (so can't increase alot but can't decrease either).
8/31/2012 11:33 AM (edited)

It's not just about sitting on the bench as a general concept. It's about whether the kid has a team mentaility and is willing to accept he may not start, may not get any prescribed amount of minutes, shots, or anything else.

If you can determine who those players are and recruit only those, then you can truly feel free to leave your settings however you want.

THAT IS THE POINT - I want to be able to put my settings however *I* think is best and not have to worry about or put up with any backlash from fictional players. No WE drop, no threats of leaving, nothing.

So yeah, that would be why I'd want to know if a kid is okay doing whatever I say.

8/31/2012 1:02 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 8/31/2012 11:33:00 AM (view original):
The problem is that WHY would you want Seble to implement such a feature?  Who would want to know ahead of time if a kid would be OK with sitting on the bench for 4 seasons?  If the kid is worth your money to recruit him, I'm assuming you want to give him the play time.

The only thing I can think of that even might make sense is to give us some type of range (potential) on WE.  But it would probably have to be if its high it would be for both ways (can increase alot or decrease alot) and perhaps there's one that's low or none (so can't increase alot but can't decrease either).
This +1000.  There is literally NO reason to have this feature in the game.  If the player is good enough to play, you play him.  if he isn't good enough to play and his work ethic decreases, then you don't care and hope he transfers.  I can't imagine any screnario where you intentionally recruit a player based on the fact that as a junior he'll be cool with not playing. 

In an abstract sense, sure, maybe some kids should be OK with it.  In the WIS game, it's a non-issue. 
8/31/2012 1:04 PM
Posted by milkamania on 8/31/2012 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by buddhagamer on 8/31/2012 11:33:00 AM (view original):

This +1000.  There is literally NO reason to have this feature in the game.  If the player is good enough to play, you play him.  if he isn't good enough to play and his work ethic decreases, then you don't care and hope he transfers.  I can't imagine any screnario where you intentionally recruit a player based on the fact that as a junior he'll be cool with not playing. 

In an abstract sense, sure, maybe some kids should be OK with it.  In the WIS game, it's a non-issue. 
This +1001.
8/31/2012 1:16 PM
If one recruited only the type of player who did exactly as he was told, one could become one of the better coaches in Postseason Invitational Tournament history.
8/31/2012 1:29 PM
I agree that kids shouldn't have the same generic responses to the same situation, but I also believe that there are more important implementations to be made as this really isn't that significant of an issue.
8/31/2012 1:41 PM
It seems many of you don't think there's a reason why you'd want to know if a kid would be okay with sitting the bench (or whatever you'd ask him to do). So here's the reason, from my earlier post:

THAT IS THE POINT - I want to be able to put my settings however *I* think is best and not have to worry about or put up with any backlash from fictional players. No WE drop, no threats of leaving, nothing.

So yeah, that would be why I'd want to know if a kid is okay doing whatever I say.

8/31/2012 1:44 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...32 Next ▸
Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.