10/3/2012 12:28 PM (edited)
HURRY UP!
9/6/2012 6:27 AM
Lol, some results need to accrue my friend
9/6/2012 1:38 PM
9/30/2012 9:05 PM
LOL!  Oregon State!  Nice.
10/1/2012 10:04 AM
Yeah that one seemed odd to me as well especially with Wisconsin losing again. 
10/1/2012 11:06 AM
Oregon State is undefeated against the best SOS according to my system...it's early, but the rankings are still valid....FCS games are pulling other teams down
10/1/2012 12:25 PM
FWIW, the Massey College Football Comparison has the 3 teams Oregon State beat, the following ranks...UCLA 20th, Arizona 36th, Wisconsin 41st
10/1/2012 12:34 PM
I don't think they are the best team in their state much less the best team in the country.  Still, I do not dispute that Oregon State has the best SOS so far amongst the undefeated teams (though Florida is close).  I know that is what your system is designed for.  So I laughed but did not throw darts. 
10/1/2012 1:24 PM
I still think the punishment for DIAA is far too great, causes way too much odd stuff to happen.
10/1/2012 1:55 PM
Posted by moranis on 10/1/2012 1:55:00 PM (view original):
I still think the punishment for DIAA is far too great, causes way too much odd stuff to happen.
I see where you're coming from...I used to not include FCS games and maybe that's something I should look into again because 1 game can certainly skew a 12 game season a lot more than a 30 or 40 game CBB season...I suppose it's always been a crux one way or another...I might tab them that way too just to see what comes up.
10/1/2012 2:48 PM

Fwiw, none of my top 5 teams played any FCS games, thus that really isn't the issue currently...it's just how the schedule breaks down thus far, Oregon State looks huge.  It/they will certainly come down to earth soon, but that statement doesn't invalidate this week's rankings, it just puts things into perspective...this is where teams are at after 3, 4, and/or 5 games...good, bad, or otherwise, and I really stand behind my rankings and what they say.  I'm going to look into other ways of ranking, may produce a side by side ranking (perhaps in secret) for comparison purposes, and look for potential "solutions" to the "FCS" problem.  I guess I don't apologize for the way that I rank teams, but it may not be the most fan-friendly of formats.

Again, as always, my rankings aren't about the perceived best team in the nation, but what team has done the best against the toughest schedules.  I agree that Oregon State is not the best team in the nation...Alabama is it I think.

10/1/2012 3:43 PM (edited)
Louisiana Tech is the one that stands out to me. They're 4-0 (beat 1-3 Houston, 1-4 Rice, 2-3 Illinois, and 2-3 Virginia), but are ranked 7th. That doesn't seem like a tough schedule to me, so it seems like teams who played Div II teams are getting too stiff a penalty. Imo, a team beating a Div II team + a good Div I team is more impressive than two victories against sub-.500 Div I teams.
10/1/2012 3:48 PM
Yeah, that one jumped at me too...of the 68 ranking systems currently in the Massey Comparison, I by far have them rated the highest at 7.  Opponent win percentages aren't directly tied in with how I rank teams, but certainly some exploration needs to be done as far as this goes...I can't wait to see how my comparison ranking stacks up and I'll probably have to put some thought into this here.

FWIW, I do weight my rankings (thank you moranis, legitimately) so that beating the #1 and #124 team is better than beating #62 and #63
10/1/2012 4:04 PM
Whether you take FCS out or not, I guess the problem for me is that you still put far too much weight on the crappy games.  I think if you somehow put way less rate on the worst 3 teams on the schedule (unless they lose of course), I think it would balance out a bit more.  You know how in the Olympics they throw out the highest and lowest scores to find the true middle, I think there is merit in that.  Again I don't think you throw out any scores, and certainly shouldn't touch the top, but I think if you somehow minimized the three worst teams on a schedule, it would help balance it out because there really isn't any difference between the 100th ranked team and the 124th ranked team and frankly may not be much difference even between 80 and 124 every good team should win those games easily no matter the conditions or game location.
10/1/2012 4:52 PM
123456 Next ▸
2012 BPI Sports CFB Rankings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.