2012 BPI Sports CFB Rankings Topic

I'll give you that La. Tech being ranked 7th is too high, if you had responded in that way the first time, I would've agreed with you.

But, I will stand by everything I've said in regards to La. Tech being ranked above USC. The fact on that is that USC has only beaten two teams that have only beaten FCS schools as their "best wins". Louisiana Tech does hold a win over Virginia who holds a win over Penn State. That is the best win by an opponent of the two teams & it's not even close or up for debate. So, within data that has already happened there is literally NOTHING that shows USC should be rated ahead of La. Tech. Not a single thing. I picked USC to compare because La. Tech is rated more than 10 BPI points higher than them while the margin is much less in relationship to the other teams you mentioned before. That is just how I look at his rankings.. anyone that's within 10 BPI points of each other are interchangable. Don't pick on that because that may not be a great way of looking at it, but I give computer rankings the benefit of the doubt in many cases. That's the last thing I'll say in regards to La. Tech vs. USC since you thought it was horribly off-topic, yet wanted to continue to write on about it.

I think my illustration could've been better. I'll give you that, as well. I probably shouldn't have used La. Tech in my example because I too, believe that they are ranked too high. The big thing about my entire spiel though, is that I'm not talking about the future. I'm talking about the data that has already been compiled vs. people just giving a team credit because of what they believe.

In the end: This is about colonels19's rankings & I think overall, they're pretty darn good. I like the "quirks". That's all I was saying. I think I could've looked over it longer & came up with a better one to make an example of than I did, but I still think that the BPI produces differences with other rankings that aren't exactly outlandish, in my opinion & makes it a ranking that I like looking at & paying attention to. It makes it better to me, that's all.

10/2/2012 9:56 PM (edited)
Alternate ranking format now up

www.bpisports.com/2012elb

10/3/2012 12:28 PM (edited)
Working on getting these included in the Massey comparison as well if curious
10/3/2012 12:22 PM
What do you do differently with *elb?  Apparently I am curious.
10/3/2012 12:42 PM
Lol, this system looks at and measures SOS in a slightly different manner.
10/3/2012 12:58 PM
Should be interesting to see how it cleans up as you get more games/data.
10/3/2012 1:06 PM
Agreed, I might even be looking into a 3rd way to do these, but that would take a considerably bigger amount of time and effort, so we'll see.
10/3/2012 1:09 PM
the elb seems to be more on par with what I would expect.
10/3/2012 3:02 PM
Turns out Massey isn't going to post em, so I might interchange each week, who knows

To be honest, the ELBs are what I had been intending to do for the longest time, thus...

10/3/2012 11:33 PM (edited)
10-8-12 UP!

www.bpisports.com

What I was calling the ELB rankings are now the rankings I will run with as my BPI Sports rankings for the rest of the season since Massey won't do both...I like it better personally so, take a look.
10/8/2012 5:49 PM
Seems pretty much with what I would expect.  A few oddities here and there, but nothing major. 
10/9/2012 4:33 PM
Are you hawking my thread? lol
10/14/2012 7:36 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 10/14/2012 7:36:00 AM (view original):
Are you hawking my thread? lol
I just post for comparison. Mine is 100% amateur, and Massey has never heard of me. LOL
10/14/2012 7:29 PM
lol, fair enough...if you're interested in submitting your rankings to him to be included in the comparison, just send him a brief description of how you do your rankings and he'll most likely put them up... [email protected]

Trust me, I too am a ranking nobody, the only guys that really know of me/my rankings are you guys and that's because I've been posting them here since 2005 or so.  If you're going to pitch them for Massey's comparison and he accepts and you need a place for your rankings opposed to just emailing them to him or whatever, let me know and I'll throw them up on my site.  Take care.

10/14/2012 9:42 PM
I am eagerly awaiting yours.

I am in awe of Sagarin. I don't know how a computer poll can get Bama & Oregon 1-2.
I tried adjusting my formula a million ways and can not get Oregon in the top 5 no matter what.

Billingsley has Oregon at # 3, which is also impressive.

10/15/2012 4:39 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
2012 BPI Sports CFB Rankings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.