Question for good DIA recruiters. Topic

Posted by cydrych on 9/7/2012 12:09:00 PM (view original):
At D1A, I do my searches on ALL recruits without limiting myself to just D1AA (edit: should have said "D1A").  During a scouting trip, I do not give the "D1A" or "D1AA" designation any thought whatsoever. 

Either they meet my minimum recruiting requirements or they don't.  Either they have good potential or they don't.  And depending on their stats, even their potential might not be much of a factor to me.  Certainly the posted division doesn't make any difference at that level.  So, no, I don't lose interest in a guy because D1AA schools are already recruiting him.  If anything, I know that the kid should be easier to get than if D1A SimAIs were on him.
Ditto especially the part about the DIA SIMs vs any DIAA human or not.  I think people think SIM and think easy, but elites, vs. BCS, vs DIA, vs DIAA is still the hierarchy regardless of human or SIM
9/8/2012 9:52 AM
Posted by grindi on 9/7/2012 12:52:00 PM (view original):
I guess I'm making my mistake by thinking there is a clear cut division in DIA and DIAA players like there is in DIAA and DII or DII and DIII.  Is there an actual meaning to WIS recruit ranking?  I ask because at SHSU and before at Iona, I think I was seeing all the recruits.  I was assuming that their rankings are fluff and only go after one of them if they are on my list.

I guess I have one more question then for DIAA.  Maybe I am battling too much for my recruits.  I have never waited for drop downs.  Are there  decent drop downs for DIAA teams?  I am thinking I should be going for only a few key players initially and then sorting through the rest maybe the last 24 hrs.  Or maybe not even start until the last 24 or 36 hours.  Just thinking I might get some even higher ranked recruits this way. 
Grindi,

Shoot me a sitemail if you want some DIAA recruiting tips.  I've only recruiting in this level twice, but with pretty good results the last 3 weeks or so (Bethune Cookman-Camp #10 ranked class, Tennessee-Martin - Warner #5 ranked class) and I carried a lot of money over to the next season in both cases.

I used some of the advice I got from you in a sitemail about a month ago and mixed it with a few others' advice and it seems to be working.

9/25/2012 1:44 PM (edited)
DIAA is by far the hardest level to recruit from because of the significant overlap between DIA and DIAA.  No DIAA coach should ever go hard after a top tier recruit until at least a full day into recruiting (i.e. 2 days from the start).

And remember if you are DIAA and you are looking at the 100th ranked OL, you aren't going to sign him.  Every single season DIA schools recruit 150 OL to be starters at some point in their career (120 schools * 5 OL / 4 classes = 150).  Thus, if you are looking at the 100th ranked OL, that guy is not only going to play at DIA, he is being recruited as an eventual starter.  Now sure every once in awhile a player like that might slip through the cracks, and you have to look out for them, but you can't go into recruiting thinking you are landing that type of player.  

9/25/2012 4:59 PM
Posted by ozzzball19 on 9/7/2012 12:56:00 PM (view original):
There are generally D1A back ups left over that can be picked up by D1AA teams that are pretty darn good players.
+1
9/26/2012 11:10 AM
This was a D1A backup, or maybe not even recruited by D1A that turned out OK.  And I am sure others have had similiar success.  Patience can pay off, but it sure is hard to have that patience.

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?pid=7040952

9/26/2012 11:52 AM
Posted by ozzzball19 on 9/26/2012 11:52:00 AM (view original):
This was a D1A backup, or maybe not even recruited by D1A that turned out OK.  And I am sure others have had similiar success.  Patience can pay off, but it sure is hard to have that patience.

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?pid=7040952

When do these kind of guys start showing up?
9/26/2012 1:15 PM
Not sure I understand your question completely, but they show up all along.  After signing starts you can start looking for players considering only one DI human coached school and surmise that those players are fallback options for the coach if they lose battles elsewhere or perhaps if they just greened too many recruits at a certain position.  You can then look at that DI school's scholarship situation, current battles, etc and decide whether it appears that coach will actually sign that green recruit.  If you don't think he will then you can start spending to acquire him.  If you can get him yellow and offer a schollie then when the DI coach fills his spots he'll sign with you, usually that cycle.

A few things to be aware of:

First, keep in mind other DI or DIAA schools are perhaps utilizing the same strategy so while patience is key you won't want to wait too long for fear someone else swoops in.
Second, if the player in question had SIMAI schools he was considering prior to being greened then he will sign with one those schools immediately unless you have put enough effort to yellow him
Third, if the DI coach never fills his scholarships for some reason the player may not sign with anyone
Fourth, the DI coach may end up needing said player and sign him after you've put some effort in

I've had success with acquiring these backup type players but there is competition for them and it's helpful to know if they were undecided or considering others in the first place.
9/26/2012 1:44 PM
Forgot to mention, make sure they're in your vision or you're obviously just spinning your wheels
9/26/2012 1:45 PM
So guys out of your vision at the start of recruiting never drop down into your vision?  That was what I thought guys meant when they were saying wait. 
9/26/2012 11:29 PM
Posted by grindi on 9/26/2012 11:29:00 PM (view original):
So guys out of your vision at the start of recruiting never drop down into your vision?  That was what I thought guys meant when they were saying wait. 
C'mon man you've been playing GD for years. You gotta be just trolling asking questions like this. You know vision doesn't change during recruiting.
9/26/2012 11:57 PM
Actually I haven't been playing years and that is how I thought it was but some of the answers about waiting for drop downs was leading me to think I was wrong.  That at some point before signing the guys that were out of my vision were the guys dropping down.  I've never waited that long to sign.  Usually all my guys are signed within the first couple cycles of signing with havung to wait on only a few yellows.  So I guess it is nice to know I've been right about something.  When these guys are talking drop downs they are just talking about guys already in my vision that more prestigious teams have turned green.  They aren't so much drop downs as left overs.
9/27/2012 2:11 PM
One other thing though, is there still vision at DIA or do all DIA schools see all  the recruits?
9/27/2012 2:13 PM
There is no vision at DI.  You see and can recruit everyone.
9/27/2012 2:41 PM
Posted by moranis on 9/25/2012 4:59:00 PM (view original):
DIAA is by far the hardest level to recruit from because of the significant overlap between DIA and DIAA.  No DIAA coach should ever go hard after a top tier recruit until at least a full day into recruiting (i.e. 2 days from the start).

And remember if you are DIAA and you are looking at the 100th ranked OL, you aren't going to sign him.  Every single season DIA schools recruit 150 OL to be starters at some point in their career (120 schools * 5 OL / 4 classes = 150).  Thus, if you are looking at the 100th ranked OL, that guy is not only going to play at DIA, he is being recruited as an eventual starter.  Now sure every once in awhile a player like that might slip through the cracks, and you have to look out for them, but you can't go into recruiting thinking you are landing that type of player.  

I believe the exact opposite.  I believe it is the easiest because of the overlap and not many coaches know what to look for.
9/27/2012 3:07 PM
I have to say so far DIAA has been easier.  It could be because on some recruits I'm reaching to high at DIA Army although I've also landed some I shouldn't have.
9/27/2012 9:43 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Question for good DIA recruiters. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.