Is the SEC better top to bottom than other conf? Topic

Quote Moranis "The conferences aren't nearly as far apart as the SEC fans want people to believe."

Yet someone makes a comment about what a horrible weekend the Big Ten had, and for some reason you feel the need to point at Arky as some kind of excuse?

Yeah but... there really isn't that big a difference see. Arky lost to a Sun belt team, so who carers if our whole conference had a bad weekend?

Seems like little man syndrome.

I know there are some loudmouth SEC fans, but who cares? Don't stoop to their level and make yourself look moronic in the process.

9/11/2012 5:03 PM

There is a significant gap between the SEC and Big10.  For starters look at the number of players drafted in the NFL over the last 10 years, it isn't even close.  Second, how many national titles has the Big 10 won in Football the last 10 years?  We can do this exercise all day.  Don't sit here and act like winning a bowl game with zero national title implications makes up for the difference between the two conferences.  Who cares if Ohio State or Michigan won a bowl game last year, they didn't win the national title and that is the end of the story.  It is pretty safe to say over the last 10 years the SEC has dominated the big 10 in almost every important aspect.  It could change, who knows, but the Big 10 needs a major overhaul with attitide, talent, recruiting, coaching, etc.

9/11/2012 5:29 PM
I wouldn't say "End of story" based on the Natty.  Only two teams play for it.   The SEC is pretty good from top to 8-9.    Hell, Vandy went to a bowl last season. VANDERBILT!!!!  

The gap is pretty big right now.  I'm not sure the B10 wants a more progressive offense.   Mention RichRod in Michigan and you'll get spit on.   He wanted to do something different.  In order to do that, he had to recruit different types of players.   And that takes a few years.   He didn't get them.   Think Mike Leach.  He can run his O at TT and in Washington.  Try that **** in the B10 and you're hanging in effigy by October.
9/11/2012 7:40 PM
I am not talking a more progressive offense, Alabama and LSU beat teams with smash mouth (Big10 style offense).  But they do it in a different manner that is a lot more aggressive and physical than the Big10 schools. 

The Big10 schools have to overhaul their recruiting, strength&conditioning, coaching, and overall attitude.  There was a time when the Big10 was on an even level with any conference, but somewhere along the lines in the last 10 years the Big10 got stale.
9/11/2012 9:02 PM
Well, right now, Alabama, LSU, GA and SC are beating teams with "Crush your face" defense upfront.    Whether it's the DL or LB, they're just really goddam good. I thought MO would present an interesting contrast with their spread but GA just beat them down over the course of 60 minutes.   Maybe the B10 just doesn't have the defensive athletes. 
9/11/2012 9:21 PM
Anyone that pretends that the Big Ten can carry the SEC's jock is crazy, and this coming from someone that was born, raised, and continues to reside in Big Ten country
9/11/2012 9:40 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 9/11/2012 5:29:00 PM (view original):

There is a significant gap between the SEC and Big10.  For starters look at the number of players drafted in the NFL over the last 10 years, it isn't even close.  Second, how many national titles has the Big 10 won in Football the last 10 years?  We can do this exercise all day.  Don't sit here and act like winning a bowl game with zero national title implications makes up for the difference between the two conferences.  Who cares if Ohio State or Michigan won a bowl game last year, they didn't win the national title and that is the end of the story.  It is pretty safe to say over the last 10 years the SEC has dominated the big 10 in almost every important aspect.  It could change, who knows, but the Big 10 needs a major overhaul with attitide, talent, recruiting, coaching, etc.

Last ten years is a lot closer in NFL draft picks than you think, especially given the SEC's 1 extra team for most of that period.  They were actually even in total draft picks from 2003-2006 (though the Big Ten had a higher per school average).  SEC was better from 2007-2011 (and by enough to notice) and last year they were almost even (the numbers are below).  So yeah, the SEC has produced more drafted players in the NFL, but again, the gap isn't as much as people think, which was my point.  The SEC has 1 or 2 truly dominant teams every year, especially over the last 5/6 years, but the rest of the conference isn't really better than the middle of the road of the other conferences.  That is why the Big Ten and SEC are 19-19 in bowl games in the BCS era (with the vast majority of those occurring in the state of Florida).  The meat of the conferences are pretty similar.  The top is definitely a different animal, but from 3-12 there isn't much difference.

SEC -42
Big 10 - 41

SEC -38
Big 10 - 28

SEC -49
Big 10 - 33

SEC -37
Big 10 - 28

SEC -35
Big 10 - 28

SEC -41
Big 10 - 30

SEC -37
Big 10 - 41

SEC -37
Big 10 - 30

SEC -42
Big 10 - 44

SEC -35
Big 10 - 36
9/12/2012 9:11 AM (edited)
It's ridiculous to pretend that SC/GA wouldn't win the B10.    SC steamrolled Nebraska in their bowl game.  Mich State beat GA in triple overtime. 
9/12/2012 9:26 AM
Moranis seems to be the only person in America that thinks the Big10 is on par with the SEC.
9/12/2012 9:33 AM
Unless this is moranis, there's at least two who believe it.

9/12/2012 9:46 AM
Posted by cravedogg on 9/12/2012 9:33:00 AM (view original):
Moranis seems to be the only person in America that thinks the Big10 is on par with the SEC.
I didn't say that, did I.  I said the gap isn't as large as people think, which clearly implies I think there is a gap, which I believe is almost entirely in the top 2 of the conferences.
9/12/2012 10:41 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/12/2012 9:26:00 AM (view original):
It's ridiculous to pretend that SC/GA wouldn't win the B10.    SC steamrolled Nebraska in their bowl game.  Mich State beat GA in triple overtime. 
So let me get this straight, Michigan State, which didn't win the Big 10 last year beats Georgia last year (in Tampa), and you think it is ridiculous to pretend that Georgia wouldn't win the Big 10.

Vanderbilt has played South Carolina and Northwestern this year.  Care to wager which team beat Vanderbilt by a larger margin.

Could Georgia or South Carolina win the Big 10, sure, but it is far from a given? 
9/12/2012 10:50 AM
GA jumped out to a 16-0 lead.   They were still up by a TD with  less than 2 minutes.   GA was the 5th best team in the SEC.    Take that for what you will but GA is better this season.   And, if I'm not mistaken, there was a 3-way tie in the B10 with MSt in the mix. 

SC's QB went down early and, quite frankly, they played vanilla all day.  Simply because they didn't think their D would give up any points to Vandy.

It's not a given, the B10 isn't C-USA, but I think it's likely.
9/12/2012 11:10 AM
I put zero value in non national title bowl games.  They hold very little meaning.

Value is in Title games and regular season games.  Talk to the coaches, they will tell you the same.  Bowl games are often over rated, which is why teams like Boise and Utah have won non title bowl games.

Also, in regards to the NFL draft you have to look at where the players were drafted.  There are a lot of different point systems that show the SEC dominates the early rounds.  Also I believe the PAC 10 actually had the 2nd highest rated draft for 2012 behind the SEC.  We can spin it in any direction possible, fact of the matter is the SEC sets the bar for college football, dominates the Big 10 on the biggest of stages, and the trend is going to continue until the Big 10 changes
9/12/2012 11:50 AM
First of all, I don't get why this Big10 vs SEC thing is even a discussion... at least not this year.   Big12 vs SEC, maybe... lets watch Missouri and Texas A&M as they progress through their SEC schedule.  Any team can have a good showing against 1 SEC opponent... it is quite a different thing to have to play that sort of opposition week after week.  But the Big10???  Really?  Ohio State and Penn State are banned from bowl games, so their games really don't matter, do they?  Michigan, Nebraska, and Wisconsin -- clearly not as good as the Big10 had hoped.  Iowa and Illinois were always rebuilding.  Michigan State is the one team that might be able to carry the banner and be a top 10 team this year, and their prospects might change drastically after the Notre Dame game this weekend.  Enough about the Big 10.

Secondly, those bowl games (any bowl game) is a celebration, holiday, party atmosphere.  To SEC teams, unless its a national championship game, its the one game all year that doesn't matter whether they win or lose.  Some teams (not just from the SEC) take their bowl game seriously, others don't really.  Utah wasn't more talented than Alabama in the 2009 Sugar Bowl but they did take it more seriously.  TCU wasn't better than Wisconsin in the 2011 Rose Bowl but, again, they took it more seriously and got the better result.  Use the eye test, my friend, not bowl records.  Reliance on those numbers will lead you astray.
9/12/2012 1:19 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
Is the SEC better top to bottom than other conf? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.