THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Abiogenesis is not evolution.
9/26/2012 4:46 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/26/2012 4:45:00 PM (view original):
Evidence contained only in the Bible is not evidence. It's a story.

Can we use Dawkins as a source for other material, or is that the only quote of his that you want to use?

I don't care what Dawkins said about what other historians would admit. The Jesus that is described in the Bible is a fictional character. No one walks on water or rises from the dead. The son of god was not born on Christmas to a virgin mom 2000 years ago. I'm sure there were dudes walking around claiming to be the son of god and I'm sure some of them had followers devoted to the delusion, but one guy who actually was the son of god didn't exist.
You can use Dawkins for whatever you like. Although that quote goes directly to the subject matter at hand. Which makes it relevant to the discussion.

The point is that if one of the world's most revered atheist debaters has to admit that Jesus existed it seems silly that others would still deny that simple fact.

Deny he was divine. Fine. Deny he existed. That's just intellectually dishonest.
9/26/2012 4:50 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/26/2012 4:53:00 PM (view original):
If he wasn't divine, what is there to distinguish him from other crazy people running around claiming they were god? If Jesus wasn't divine, he didn't exist. His divinity is his entire identity.
Two different topics.

You appeared to be claiming the man himself never existed. Whether or not he was divine is not germane to the question of if the man Jesus existed.

As to evolution, I believe that animals adapt and mutate, which is called micro-evolution. I know that to be true.
As for Macro-evolution, I am skeptical, but cannot say it is necessarily untrue.

9/26/2012 7:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/26/2012 12:18:00 PM (view original):

Don't use wiki as your source.  C'mon.

It does beat ask.com....I think.
9/26/2012 9:37 PM
If he wasn't divine, what is there to distinguish him from other crazy people running around claiming they were god? If Jesus wasn't divine, he didn't exist. His divinity is his entire identity.
Dumbest.  Argument.  Ever.

If George Washington had not been President of the United States, could one argue that he also did not exist?
9/26/2012 10:25 PM (edited)
Posted by bad_luck on 9/26/2012 4:45:00 PM (view original):
Evidence contained only in the Bible is not evidence. It's a story.

Can we use Dawkins as a source for other material, or is that the only quote of his that you want to use?

I don't care what Dawkins said about what other historians would admit. The Jesus that is described in the Bible is a fictional character. No one walks on water or rises from the dead. The son of god was not born on Christmas to a virgin mom 2000 years ago. I'm sure there were dudes walking around claiming to be the son of god and I'm sure some of them had followers devoted to the delusion, but one guy who actually was the son of god didn't exist.
Uh, that goes back to what I said.   What he was can be debated.  That he existed cannot.

What, pray tell, are you arguing?
9/26/2012 10:17 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 9/27/2012 1:22:00 AM (view original):
what about some variation of inteligent design.
Intelligent design is possible but it can never be proven, it isn't science it's religion.
9/27/2012 11:06 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/26/2012 10:25:00 PM (view original):
Dumbest.  Argument.  Ever.

If George Washington had not been President of the United States, could one argue that he also did not exist?
There's a difference.

There were a lot of people running around claiming to be god/son of god/a prophet thousands of years ago. The biblical jesus was born, disappeared for 12 years, popped up at a temple, disappeared for another 18, performed a bunch of miracles for 3 and then died. If he wasn't actually the son of god, then that is probably an amalgam of multiple people, multiple stories and legends, and not one person.
9/27/2012 11:09 AM
Sure but the god part isn't science. It can never be proven, tested, observed.

You can say god designed evolution. I have no problem with that. Evolution is god neutral, it's existence in no way disproves or discredits god.
9/27/2012 12:34 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...80 Next ▸
THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.