Has HD Become Stagnant? Topic

Posted by bistiza on 10/5/2012 9:50:00 AM (view original):
?Simply because you don't use it, doesn't mean it's a waste. Apps make things much easier, for those of us who access the site from our phones. Things are much quicker using an app versus actually going to site on our phone.

Improvement of the actual game itself helps everyone, not just the people who use smart phones to access the site. Therefore, I think any time invested in the game should be toward improvement of the game, not on tools used by some and not others.

To put it more bluntly: Since I don't use an app, I see any time WIS spends on one as time taken away from improving the game, and to me, that is an absolute waste.

If WIS spends time on an app for HD, it DOES harm those of us who don't use it.

Why?

If there's not an app for HD, that's no big deal. Those who would like to have one can  just access it from the internet the same way the rest of us can do on  a regular basis.

However, if the game itself begins to suffer while someone is working on an app, that IS a big deal. I suspect improvements to the game itself would take a back seat to an app if they were to devote time to it, and I don't want that to happen.

Bottom line - I want the people working on the game to improve its quality rather than working on features that aren't going to be used by everyone.
Problem is, Bistiza, it doesn't appear as if anyone IS working on the game.  If someone is, they certainly are keeping it hush-hush.
10/5/2012 11:34 AM
Posted by bistiza on 10/5/2012 9:50:00 AM (view original):
?Simply because you don't use it, doesn't mean it's a waste. Apps make things much easier, for those of us who access the site from our phones. Things are much quicker using an app versus actually going to site on our phone.

Improvement of the actual game itself helps everyone, not just the people who use smart phones to access the site. Therefore, I think any time invested in the game should be toward improvement of the game, not on tools used by some and not others.

To put it more bluntly: Since I don't use an app, I see any time WIS spends on one as time taken away from improving the game, and to me, that is an absolute waste.

If WIS spends time on an app for HD, it DOES harm those of us who don't use it.

Why?

If there's not an app for HD, that's no big deal. Those who would like to have one can  just access it from the internet the same way the rest of us can do on  a regular basis.

However, if the game itself begins to suffer while someone is working on an app, that IS a big deal. I suspect improvements to the game itself would take a back seat to an app if they were to devote time to it, and I don't want that to happen.

Bottom line - I want the people working on the game to improve its quality rather than working on features that aren't going to be used by everyone.
this is both an idiotic and selfish mentality. i dont play d3. should i **** and moan any time WIS makes a fix for d3? alblack doesn't play d1. should he **** and moan about the early entry changes?

the reality is, making these kinds of improvements helps EVERYONE. if there was an app and more people played HD, that helps you with or without using the app yourself (making your claim idiotic). if you don't play d1 and the early entries change makes more people play HD, then it helps you even without you playing d1. the game has to be made better and it wont always directly play into your hands. making the game for the sake of making the game better has merit. and if you can make the game 1% better for everyone or 10% better for half the people, CS should make the 10% change, obviously (to suggest otherwise is very selfish)
10/5/2012 11:39 AM
My biggest concern is that I don't believe there is any advertisement at all for this game. This isn't some game that people know about, this is one of those games where you have to be lucky enough to stumble into and then have enough interest to pay to try it. The only reason I ever tried it was the freehd password for one free season. If more people were playing the game, they would have more incentive to improve it.

In time this game will likely shut down because more and more players are leaving, coaches are reducing their number of teams, worlds are starting to look empty. Unless they find a way to bring in new players, it won't last.
10/5/2012 12:34 PM
Couple of things:

First, I understand an app may help the appeal of the game, and that's a good thing. I just don't want to divert attention away from improvements to the game itself in favor of an app.

Second, my understanding is there hasn't been a lot of attention given to changing or improving any of the games on WIS.

I've been a member of this site for quite some time (over 10 years) and can remember when it was sold to Fox Sports. Those of us who had already been playing the games for years were excited as we assumed such a large organization would no doubt provide the marketing and advertising to send the number of members playing the games skyrocketing. Obviously it appears that didn't happen.

Even back then, though, there were periodic updates to the games, including HD (which hasn't been around nearly as long as some of the other games I've played). Now it seems there aren't as many updates.

I will say, however, that HD has always had (and still maintains) more players than the NBA simleagues games, which means at least as far as basketball goes, it is still drawing its share of attention on this site.

From what I've seen, the games that seem to make the most revenue on this site (i.e. get played the most) are MLB SimLeagues and HD.

I can see how this game might get stale for some people, but I'd imagine you need to have a great deal more teams than I do for that to happen, at least for me. I played the game from the time it first launched on here for several years, then took several years off, and am still enjoying it now. It could improve, but even as is, it works to entertain me.
10/5/2012 1:01 PM
1. I like the game.  It's ridiculously deep and rich compared with the alternatives... of which there really aren't any, are there?

2. I don't want constant updates.  Changes to the game should be gradual, so they don't screw up my roster and yours while helping some other jagoff.

3. App?  Okay I guess, but I don't need an app if you give me any kind of usable mobile site.  http://m.whatifsports.com.  Do this.  Or the app.  I don't care.

Edit: No, I'm not against improving the game.  Improve away!  Just prioritize and don't cluster a whole bunch of "improvements" together.

10/5/2012 1:06 PM
one thing's for sure llamanunts, changes are certainly gradual. One might even say glacial.
10/5/2012 1:09 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 10/5/2012 11:32:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 10/5/2012 11:28:00 AM (view original):
Posted by deery6 on 10/5/2012 7:39:00 AM (view original):
This is a bad idea! Who wants more changes?!?! Hoops Dynasty is FINE!!!!!
I too am of this ilk.  HD is one of my favorite games ever and is probably the best sports game run through the internet.
I kind of got the impression that Deery was being sarcastic.
Ahhh my bad, guess I missed that....I'm always disappointed to learn that I'm not perfect...I'm at work, so that's my excuse lol
10/5/2012 1:37 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 10/5/2012 11:32:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 10/5/2012 11:28:00 AM (view original):
Posted by deery6 on 10/5/2012 7:39:00 AM (view original):
This is a bad idea! Who wants more changes?!?! Hoops Dynasty is FINE!!!!!
I too am of this ilk.  HD is one of my favorite games ever and is probably the best sports game run through the internet.
I kind of got the impression that Deery was being sarcastic.
I got that impression as well.
10/5/2012 2:21 PM (edited)
that is terribly hard to read...
10/5/2012 2:17 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 10/5/2012 12:35:00 PM (view original):
My biggest concern is that I don't believe there is any advertisement at all for this game. This isn't some game that people know about, this is one of those games where you have to be lucky enough to stumble into and then have enough interest to pay to try it. The only reason I ever tried it was the freehd password for one free season. If more people were playing the game, they would have more incentive to improve it.

In time this game will likely shut down because more and more players are leaving, coaches are reducing their number of teams, worlds are starting to look empty. Unless they find a way to bring in new players, it won't last.
 I am of this belief too.  So many sports fans don't know that this site even exists.  The market is unlikely to be nearly as large as fantasy sports games, but the market is nowhere near satiated.  
10/5/2012 2:17 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 10/5/2012 2:17:00 PM (view original):
that is terribly hard to read...
Yeah sorry i'm gonna do them all as my own individual responses
10/5/2012 2:18 PM
Posted by bistiza on 10/5/2012 1:01:00 PM (view original):
Couple of things:

First, I understand an app may help the appeal of the game, and that's a good thing. I just don't want to divert attention away from improvements to the game itself in favor of an app.

Second, my understanding is there hasn't been a lot of attention given to changing or improving any of the games on WIS.

I've been a member of this site for quite some time (over 10 years) and can remember when it was sold to Fox Sports. Those of us who had already been playing the games for years were excited as we assumed such a large organization would no doubt provide the marketing and advertising to send the number of members playing the games skyrocketing. Obviously it appears that didn't happen.

Even back then, though, there were periodic updates to the games, including HD (which hasn't been around nearly as long as some of the other games I've played). Now it seems there aren't as many updates.

I will say, however, that HD has always had (and still maintains) more players than the NBA simleagues games, which means at least as far as basketball goes, it is still drawing its share of attention on this site.

From what I've seen, the games that seem to make the most revenue on this site (i.e. get played the most) are MLB SimLeagues and HD.

I can see how this game might get stale for some people, but I'd imagine you need to have a great deal more teams than I do for that to happen, at least for me. I played the game from the time it first launched on here for several years, then took several years off, and am still enjoying it now. It could improve, but even as is, it works to entertain me.
 In response to your first point: At this point, no improvements seem to be coming.  There needs to be some sort of changes or, at the very least, a consistent discussion with management.
In response to your second point:
The fact that other games get less attention is just a further indictment of WIS.  I love HD, but the fact that we get more attention than products that get basically no attention isn't a reason to praise WIS.  
10/5/2012 2:19 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 10/5/2012 1:07:00 PM (view original):
1. I like the game.  It's ridiculously deep and rich compared with the alternatives... of which there really aren't any, are there?

2. I don't want constant updates.  Changes to the game should be gradual, so they don't screw up my roster and yours while helping some other jagoff.

3. App?  Okay I guess, but I don't need an app if you give me any kind of usable mobile site.  http://m.whatifsports.com.  Do this.  Or the app.  I don't care.

Edit: No, I'm not against improving the game.  Improve away!  Just prioritize and don't cluster a whole bunch of "improvements" together.

In response to your first point:  I don't know of any quality alternatives, but, like I said above, we aren't talking about a fully satiated market.  
In response to your second point:  When I speak about consistent updates i'm not talking about major engine updates.  Those updates are more complicated and don't need to come as  consistently.  Things like adding a notes page or info boxes wouldn't impact your team.
In response to your third point:  Those ideas were just things I thought of in a 5 minute span.  I agree with this point otherwise, but I just want to clarify that I meant changes in general, and that my ideas were just examples not necessarily things a said need to happen.  That said, an app or something that would help with phone access needs to occur.  It is very important that a tech based game stays modern.
10/5/2012 2:21 PM
I know HD and other games could probably use some gradual improvements over time.

However, I must say that HD is a quality game. As long as they continue to have the money to play, most people who lay that money down to play in the first place will keep playing, at least to some extent. Of course we all know there are those who play extensively and some a bit less so, but the game is very enjoyable to many who play.

What I"m saying, I guess, is it's not perfect but I'll take it. Unless they make it worse, it serves to entertain me sufficiently I see no major need for changes. I'm not saying there isn't any need, but there certainly isn't a major need for changes.

As for it being important for "a tech based game to stay modern", I'm not sure I agree with what seems to be the point of this assertion.

I don't know that this game falls under the umbrella of what you might typically call a "tech based game". It's an internet browser based game which can be played by virtually anyone who can access the internet. That's the extent of the technology involved as far as the customer is concerned - a browser and an internet connection. Sure, that's technology, but it doesn't have or need fancy bells and whistles to make it work, which is one of the key reasons WHY it is successful at all.

An app might be a nice feature for those people who would use it, but I'm not one of them. I'd rather access HD from the real WIS site on a screen where its big enough I can see what I'm doing. That's the same reason I don't do anything on the internet from my phone - there's no point in trying to access things on a slow connection with a tiny screen when you can have high speed on a nice big screen. But to each their own.
10/5/2012 2:39 PM
I (sort of) agree with zags.

I think if HD has become stagnant for you, stop playing it for a little while. I played for the first few years it existed, then took a break for several years, and now I'm back and it's completely fresh again (and I don't have nearly the number of seasons of HD played as some of you do).

It's a great game. Take a break if you're bored with it and come back and that might freshen it up for you.
10/5/2012 2:57 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Has HD Become Stagnant? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.