Real-time FA bidding Topic

I'd respond more frequently but I'm busy upping my bid by $.01 on that 62" flat screen on eBay. 
10/18/2012 1:21 PM
This is a terrible idea. For all of the reasons outlined by multiple users throughout the previous 5 pages of this thread.
10/18/2012 3:25 PM
I'm guessing that tufft is staying away after I chastised him this morning.
10/18/2012 3:25 PM
Posted by unsub on 10/18/2012 12:01:00 PM (view original):
First of all, Bad idea.

HBD FA is NOT the same thing as me selling a toaster on E-bay! It is, in fact, completely different. FA is NOT an auction. For instant, the author of this horrible thread, seem not to have a clue about buyers and sellers. The buyers are the owners of the franchise. We can clear that up now. The sellers are not somebody hoping they can get $50 bucks for their used vacuum. The sellers are the FA themselves. Sellers want to get the most money possible and buyers want to spend the lease possible if I am correct.

So, as a seller, why would I not want to get overpaid? Getting overpaid is good for the seller.

Second, this is a horrible plan.
wikipedia.org --> An auction is a process of buying and selling goods or services by offering them up for bid, taking bids, and then selling the item to the highest bidder.

Really not possible to take any opinion you have on this seriously if you're starting off with HBD FA signing isn't an auction.
10/22/2012 9:56 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/18/2012 3:25:00 PM (view original):
You guessed wrong. Unlike some others, I lead a life that doesn't allow for enough time to post here ever day.

Which is the bigger points I'm making that you don't respond to.  A LOT more people would play HBD and have more teams if it was possible to put in less time and compete. Changes could be made that would result in a MLB simulation that rewards good strategy over luck. Change is not the same thing as dumb down.

10/22/2012 10:07 PM
Sorry if I didn't put this in an earlier post - I don't care if anyone who replies thinks my ideas are good or bad.  What any of us think doesn't matter to HBD. HBD isn't being changed. Certainly not based on anything posted in this thread. If 100 people posted "best idea ever" it would mean exactly the same to me & to HBD as if 10 people post "bad idea".

I take the time to do this because I'm hoping that someone out there is working on a MLB simulation. If they read this thread they could avoid some of the things that are sinking HBD.

I posted 5 pretty specific questions/issues that anyone could agree or disagree with & give reasons why.  So far nobody has. What has been posted -

"bad idea because it's a bad idea" - Can't argue with that. If that's the best the folks who post here have in them, nothing more to say.

"if this happened, I could control the FA market and fix every FA price in my world"  - That's just wrong. Ignorant. Delusional. No reason to reply. Go make a few million dollars fixing eBay auctions & report back.

"dumbsdown oversimplifies the game" - OK to have that opinion, but nobody has backed up why they think that. Changing the FA process would certainly change some of the strategies, but change is not the same thing dumbing down. Whatever strategies exist now, the ability to log in 24/7/365 every 4-6 hours is much more important than any strategy.  And that seems to be the #1 reason people quit HBD. And why most people who post here will be more likely to defend the way it works now.  It works for them. They don't care if HBD is dying around them as much as they care to keep the advantage the current game gives them.  I think that's shortsighted, but can't argue.

If you want to reply to any of my 5 points, maybe you'll be helping out someone working on a game you'd like to play.  If all you've got in you is an undefended "bad idea", probably not a lot more to add to this thread.

10/22/2012 10:45 PM
Posted by tufft on 10/22/2012 10:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/18/2012 3:25:00 PM (view original):
You guessed wrong. Unlike some others, I lead a life that doesn't allow for enough time to post here ever day.

Which is the bigger points I'm making that you don't respond to.  A LOT more people would play HBD and have more teams if it was possible to put in less time and compete. Changes could be made that would result in a MLB simulation that rewards good strategy over luck. Change is not the same thing as dumb down.

Welcome back.

You are correct.  Not all change is the same as dumbing down.

However, your proposals would be dumbing down the game.  For reasons which have been explained over and over throughout this thread by everybody not named tufft.
10/22/2012 11:05 PM
Posted by tufft on 10/22/2012 10:45:00 PM (view original):
Sorry if I didn't put this in an earlier post - I don't care if anyone who replies thinks my ideas are good or bad.  What any of us think doesn't matter to HBD. HBD isn't being changed. Certainly not based on anything posted in this thread. If 100 people posted "best idea ever" it would mean exactly the same to me & to HBD as if 10 people post "bad idea".

I take the time to do this because I'm hoping that someone out there is working on a MLB simulation. If they read this thread they could avoid some of the things that are sinking HBD.

I posted 5 pretty specific questions/issues that anyone could agree or disagree with & give reasons why.  So far nobody has. What has been posted -

"bad idea because it's a bad idea" - Can't argue with that. If that's the best the folks who post here have in them, nothing more to say.

"if this happened, I could control the FA market and fix every FA price in my world"  - That's just wrong. Ignorant. Delusional. No reason to reply. Go make a few million dollars fixing eBay auctions & report back.

"dumbsdown oversimplifies the game" - OK to have that opinion, but nobody has backed up why they think that. Changing the FA process would certainly change some of the strategies, but change is not the same thing dumbing down. Whatever strategies exist now, the ability to log in 24/7/365 every 4-6 hours is much more important than any strategy.  And that seems to be the #1 reason people quit HBD. And why most people who post here will be more likely to defend the way it works now.  It works for them. They don't care if HBD is dying around them as much as they care to keep the advantage the current game gives them.  I think that's shortsighted, but can't argue.

If you want to reply to any of my 5 points, maybe you'll be helping out someone working on a game you'd like to play.  If all you've got in you is an undefended "bad idea", probably not a lot more to add to this thread.

The reasons why it's a bad idea have been stated over and over throughout this thread.  Your refusal to acknowledge them does not mean they're not there.

And the reason why nobody is answering your questions is because you've shown, over and over, that you refuse to acknowledge anything that doesn't align with your wonderful, marvelous idea.

10/22/2012 11:09 PM
Gimme one.  A single specific point made on exactly how ANY change to FA bidding that requires less time on the site and does not overly reward 24/7/365 access every 4-6 hours dumbs down the FA process to the point of it being all or mostly luck. Strategy all but gone.

10/22/2012 11:39 PM
>> And the reason why nobody is answering your questions is because you've shown, over and over, that you refuse to acknowledge anything that doesn't align with your wonderful, marvelous idea. <<

Making **** up isn't really debating, is it?  I've never claimed anything I've floated is either wonderful or marvelous.  You seem to be the only one saying that. Thanks, but I don't think it's deserved or appropriate.

You seem to be on the record as Agreed with (5).  My reply was that I don't have a strong Agree or Disagree.   I mostly agreed with you, but I'm not 100% on one side or the other.

What I added, that you want to ignore, or don't understand, is that there's an impact to (5) working as it does now.

I think it could be changed. And that it might result in more people paying HBD. You seem to disagree.  Fine. Sad that you don't seem to be able to defined your ideas & opinions, but can only repeat again & again you're right and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

10/22/2012 11:55 PM
No need to repeat myself.  My previous posts explaining exactly why the idea of why real-time bidding doesn't solve the problem you think it would, and why eBay-style proxy bidding would be a bad idea for the game, is there for all to read.  Maybe you should actually try to read my responses rather than ignore and dismiss them.  You might learn something.

By the way . . . how many people have posted in this thread in support of your ideas?
10/23/2012 10:31 AM (edited)
Well, there was that one......oh, nevermind.   The answer is "none".    But it's because no one but tuft understands marketing and closing.   He gets lots of coffee.

Oh, wait, that's the other thread where his dumbassery is showing.
10/23/2012 8:25 AM
This is funny, in a sad way, in that everyone throws out a clunker of an idea.   It happens.  Most of us accept it and let it die.  tuft, on the other hand, returns 4-5 days later and revives his dumbassery.

Seriously, if EVERYONE disagrees, it's probably just not a good idea.   No, I retract that.   If EVERYONE disagrees, it IS a bad idea.
10/23/2012 8:39 AM
Here is why it doesn’t work in simple terms for a simple person:

On E-bay, you have the potential for hundreds of thousands of people to see and want the product the seller(s) what to sell. Also, you have many of the same products selling at the same time by many different sellers. So you can get the max number of bids. In HBD if you have an elite player that will get a max deal in FA you may have five or six teams that have the budget and only maybe half of them are willing to go to the max to receive the players service. If FA were available to every world and the current owner of the FA was receiving the cash reward for the player, then it could be called an auction in an E-Bay sense.

The author’s idea here is for some sort of Blind Candle Auction. That is unless; he would like the current leading bid to be known. In that case, it would be just a Candle Auction. That is an auction were the bidders do not know when the conclusion of the auction will happen. E-Bay uses a Vickrey auction style, which is extremely bad for sellers. So let us say that for an instant that FA is the same thing as E-Bay. I am willing to pay $100 for a Paul McCarthy nose hair. I set my max as such and I have the winning bid for $60. How is that good for the Seller to only get 60% of what I was willing to pay?
10/23/2012 9:18 AM
Posted by tufft on 10/22/2012 9:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by unsub on 10/18/2012 12:01:00 PM (view original):
First of all, Bad idea.

HBD FA is NOT the same thing as me selling a toaster on E-bay! It is, in fact, completely different. FA is NOT an auction. For instant, the author of this horrible thread, seem not to have a clue about buyers and sellers. The buyers are the owners of the franchise. We can clear that up now. The sellers are not somebody hoping they can get $50 bucks for their used vacuum. The sellers are the FA themselves. Sellers want to get the most money possible and buyers want to spend the lease possible if I am correct.

So, as a seller, why would I not want to get overpaid? Getting overpaid is good for the seller.

Second, this is a horrible plan.
wikipedia.org --> An auction is a process of buying and selling goods or services by offering them up for bid, taking bids, and then selling the item to the highest bidder.

Really not possible to take any opinion you have on this seriously if you're starting off with HBD FA signing isn't an auction.
Oh and thank you for the Wikipedia notation. Anyone who uses Wikipedia as a reference should not be taken seriously.You really should take note of your big quote you published and re-read it. It state why HBD is NOT and auction. You disprove your whole point with your own response. You are truly a very silly person.
10/23/2012 10:11 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...12 Next ▸
Real-time FA bidding Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.