D3, Season 62 Topic

Game of the night recap
Colorado 76, Sewanee 69 OT

Gary Shaw knocked down a three-pointer with 20 seconds remaining, then canned a two-point bucket at the buzzer for Sewanee to force overtime. The nation's No. 3 team proved too tough, holding Sewanee to just four points in the extra minutes to escape town with a victory.

No. 5 John Carroll held off Emmanuel 53-52 in the only other game featuring a pair of top 25 teams paired up last night

Game of the night
#6 Johnson & Wales (5-0) at #4 John Carroll (5-0)

It's a top-10 matchup as John Carroll and head coach whit6r goes for back-to-back home wins against the Evil Empire. After holding on for a 1-point win last night, John Carroll looks to take out elite Johnson & Wales and spasticity tonight. Believe it or not, these two rock-solid coaches are meeting for the first time ever in Rupp.

Other top 25 showdowns tonight have #5 Buena Vista hitting the road to sample the lemonade at #24 Lynchburg. #17 North Carolina Wesleyan is at #20 Wentworth as well.
10/31/2012 10:58 AM
rednu - thanks for doing this, it's always an interesting read
11/1/2012 2:06 PM
Game of the night recap
Johnson&Wales 88, John Carroll 77

Johnson and Wales forces 23 turnovers to rally from six points down at the half to topple John Carroll in a pairing of top 10 schools. Elsewhere, Buena Vista wins by 11 points over Lynchburg. North Carolina Wesleyan holds off Wentworth 95-93. 

Game of the night
#18 Millsaps at #9 Penn St. Altoona

Both teams are 5-1 this season...the winner stays in the mix for upper tier consideration. The loser has two losses and will need to battle back to get up the ratings. Other top 25 matchups have John Carroll heading to Greensboro and Susquehanna meeting Southwestern. 

Sorry for being so late...I pulled a 14-hour day on the job today. 
11/1/2012 11:33 PM
Great job Rednu, we all appreciate your dedication to doing this. Adds a ton of interest to every season.
11/2/2012 8:47 AM
Game of the night
Millsaps 74, Penn St. Altoona 67

Kenneth Prudhomme knocks down 17 points and Jack Garrett chips in with 15 as Millsaps pulls in the 'W' to vault up the standings. Millsaps led by as many as 11 in the second half and PSA was never able to draw closer than 4, thanks in part to a 5-for-9 display from three-point land by visiting Millsaps. Other top 25 action saw Southwestern top Susquehanna 67-59 while Greensboro handed John Carroll its second loss in a row, 80-75.

Game of the night
#1 Rivier (7-0) at #21 Texas Lutheran (5-2)

It's time to check in on the top-ranked team in the land once again as Rivier goes on the road to face off against the American Southwest favorite in Texas Lutheran. Blapo's crew at TL needs to pull off the victory to avoid a costly third non-conference  loss while Rivier is looking to continue its early-season dominance. Expect a rankings reshuffle tonight as three other games also feature top 25 teams stepping onto the court in showdowns. Keep an eye on Colorado (7-0) at Millsaps (6-1), Vassar (6-1) at North Carolina Wesleyan (6-1) and Penn St. Altoona (5-2) at Emmanuel (5-2).
11/2/2012 1:06 PM

Game of the night recap

Rivier 69, Texas Lutheran 55

Rivier uses a 13-1 run late in the first half to take control of its game at Texas Lutheran. The second half is played out largely in the low double-digit range margin-wise as the No. 1 team in the land marches on undefeated.  In other headlining action, Millsaps slaps Colorado from the ranks of the unbeaten with a 61-53 victory. North Carolina Wesleyan pushes up to No. 11 in the nation thanks to a 91-85 win over Vassar on the home court and Emmanuel pushes Penn St. Altoona out of the top 25 with a 61-56 victory. 

Game of the night

#8 Emerson (8-0) at #11 North Carolina Wesleyan (7-1)

Someone’s record is going to get “nick”ed up tonight as nastynick60 looks to defend the home floor against Emerson first-year coach nickjyd. Vegas has thrown a little gasoline on the fire by instilling the No. 11 team as a one-point home favorite in this one. Let’s see if the bookies are right. Another game that got strong consideration for GOTN honors was #16 Wentworth’s visit to #2 Buena Vista. Several other good games featuring ranked teams on the road at strong contenders for the top 25 are down for this evening as well. 

11/3/2012 10:53 AM

Game of the night recap

Emerson 80, North Carolina Wesleyan 70

Emerson out-rebounded NCW by a whopping 43-19 margin and also capitalized on a 59 percent free throw shooting night by NCW to overcome a 21-turnover night and eke out an 80-70 victory. In the night’s other top-25 meeting, Buena Vista punished Wentworth 94-66. 

Game of the night

#2 Buena Vista at #9 Emerson

Fresh off a win last night over North Carolina Wesleyan, Emerson returns home to face off against unbeaten Buena Vista in a clash of 9-0 programs. Other games involving top 25 teams, #21 Vassar heads to #1 Rivier and #23 US Merchant Marines is at #11 Greensboro. 

11/4/2012 10:13 PM
Game of the night recap (a day late...)
Buena Vista 86, Emerson 75

Buena Vista held Emerson to 33 percent shooting in the first half to open a double-digit halftime lead in this battle of undefeated programs. BV also forced 22 turnovers from Emerson in the contest. Elsewhere, Vassar came up huge in the second half to knock off top-ranked Rivier by an 87-82 final. Greensboro topped US Merchant Marines 72-62. 

Off-day analysis
Here on the "dead day," I'll pay tribute to the ELEVEN (!!) undefeated programs to survive unscathed and arrive at conference play with 10-0 records. Nice non-conference work to Buena Vista (westcoast22), Defiance (carl3298), Howard Payne (aggiegeog), Johnson & Wales (spasticity), Martin Luther (albatross1), Tufts (zmark513), LeTourneau (SimAI), UMass, Dartmouth (docwooden), Illinois Wesleyan (unlikelyhero), McMurry (SimAI) and Trinity (CT) (SimAI). Three of the teams on that list are from the American Southwest Conference -- do we have a new Evil Empire? The CCIW and NESCAC are also double-represented on the list of undefeated teams, meaning that, at most, seven schools will reach the end of conference play with perfect records. 

At the other end of the spectrum are 10 schools still in search of their first victory, two of which are human coaches (identities withheld to protect the guilty...). The Capital, Little East and Wisconsin are each saddled with two of the winless programs. 

Game of the night
Ozarks (9-1) at #6 Millsaps (9-1) 

Not a lot of exciting-looking conference games between two human opponents tonight, but I'll grab this one that features two 9-1 coaches, one of whom isn't receiving any rankings love, as my game of the night. Vegas has the line set at 8 points, close enough that spike101 can entertain thoughts of posting his first-ever win over brianxavier and Millsaps. #22 Newbury at #25 Emmanuel is the only all-top 25 encounter on the books for tonight. 
11/6/2012 1:58 PM
Game of the night recap
Millsaps 73, Ozarks 53

Millspas forces 19 turnovers, holds Ozarks to 45 percent shooting and holds virtually every opposing player to single digit scoring to cruise to victory and improve to 10-1. Ozarks drops to 9-2 overall. 

My apology guys, but I'm hitting the road for several days, so I'm going to have to suspend the Game of the Night stuff for a few days as I'll be frantically using my online time to recruit and set all my teams for their upcoming games each day. I'll try to post the midseason projection report observations by conference. If someone else wants to grab pick up the torch and carry it for a few nights with the Game of the Night they've got my blessing to run with it and have some fun -- I'll just be hopping too much with sporting events and airports/rental cars/etc. 
11/7/2012 10:46 PM (edited)
OK, as an homage--and a big thank you--to rednu for all his work on this thread, I'll fill in as Game of the Night recapper (at least for last night's games; perhaps someone else will want to do the same for the games tonight).

As a retroactive choice for last night, I'll pick the barnburner between perennial SoCal conference powerhouses Whittier (unranked) and #8 CSU Eastbay.  Coach windixies' Whittier team goes on the road and pulls off the minor upset over tedlukacs' squad in double overtime: Whittier 106, CSU, Eastbay 96.

After a back-and-forth game, each team hits a late 3-pointer to stave off defeat; Eastbay's Terry Valentine hits one with 11 seconds left in regulation to send the game to OT, then Whittier's Jim Wimberly buries a 3-ball of his own with a second left in the first OT to extend the game still further.  After both starting point guards foul out in the first OT (and each team loses another guard to fouls in the 2nd OT period), Whittier manages to dig deep and find the strength to pull away from the boys from Hayward and avoid any chance of further Eastbay heroics in a 10 point win.

Bonus summary--in the only matchup between ranked squads last night, #11 Emerson finds just enough offense to pull out a 50-40 win over #20 Emmanuel in a GNE/Evil Empire tilt.

For the proposed Game of the Night matchup tonight, we'll go with the American Southwest Conference game between #3 Howard Payne and Hardin-Simmons (surprisingly only playing .500 ball so far, but still a perennial national championship contender); the winner will inherit the early lead in the ASC East Division race.

11/8/2012 1:26 PM
rednu, looks like your pick for Buena Vista being the frontrunner is finally coming to fruition.... well done
11/8/2012 1:37 PM

There are really a lot of good coaches in Rupp D3 now.  When  Hardin-Simmons is 6-7 (rough luck in recruiting this season hurt) you know things are getting more competitive.

11/9/2012 8:00 AM
Posted by brianxavier on 11/9/2012 8:00:00 AM (view original):

There are really a lot of good coaches in Rupp D3 now.  When  Hardin-Simmons is 6-7 (rough luck in recruiting this season hurt) you know things are getting more competitive.

+1 couldn't agree more.  this world is many times better than even just 10 seasons ago.
11/9/2012 11:20 AM
Game of the night recap
Howard Payne 77, Hardin-Simmons 65

Howard Payne expands a 4-point halftime lead to a ten-point margin early in the 2nd half and stays comfortably in front from there, with Hardin-Simmons never getting the lead back below seven the rest of the way.  A balanced attack from Howard Payne sees four starters in double figures, led by William Dwyer's 16.  Free throws played a big part in the win, with the victors sinking 20 of 24 attempts on the game while Hardin-Simmons only managed go 9 for 15 from the line.  Hardin-Simmons will have to wait until the last game of the regular season to try to get their revenge; will the ASC East Division title still be up for grabs by then?

Game of the night
Capital (9-4) at #9 John Carroll (11-2)

To the Ohio Athletic Conference for tonight's matchup.  The two remaining undefeated squads in the OAC's North Division battle it out.  John Carroll is in good position for a high seed in the National Tournament if they keep up their stellar play.  Capital, on the other hand, needs a big win somewhere along the way to enhance their tourney chances.  A tough road matchup tonight is one of only three games left for the boys from Columbus versus a top-100 RPI squad (including the return matchup vs. John Carroll next weekend).  Can they find a way to pull off the much-needed upset?

11/9/2012 6:00 PM
Many thanks riddler for picking this up!  Just got into the hotel after watching the local team win a state title in football tonight. Tomorrow I drive back through a snowstorm so I can grab the OTHER travel bag and continue on to the airport hotel and fly to 80-degree Georgia...which will look incredibly nice after the snowstorm, I'm sure!
11/9/2012 11:20 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
D3, Season 62 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.