What really eats me up... Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 11/15/2012 7:44:00 PM (view original):
You don't think the government is more sensitive to the needs and wants of people who make over $250K than those who make less?  I mean, not even on a per capita level, but TOTAL.  And then when you make it per capita...

Yeah, it the same basic citizenship, and the same rights, but absolutely the government pays more attention to what the wealthy think and say than the poor OR the middle class.
strangely the poor and middle class seem to be paying a lot of attention to the wealthy as well...Probably should be paying a bit more attention to themselves;)

I think this government's a joke. I just saw the president pass Obamacare despite what the wealthy thought. I also look at what we spend every year on Medicare Medicaid and welfare and the only other line items that come close are defense and government pensions.

We have idiot politicians in Washington playing idiot political games and then you have Idiot citizens buying everything they say hook line and sinker. ****.... even Jesse Jackson got reelected by a large margin. How embarrassing.
11/15/2012 8:21 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/15/2012 3:56:00 PM (view original):
It bears mentioning, and I don't think it has been unless one of the blocked dumbasses did so, that "well off" or "rich" varies greatly throughout the US.  250k is a lot of money in Selma, AL and Bismark, SD.   Not so much in NY or LA.   Are they treated differently in tax law?  No.  Is that "fair"?
You choose where you live. If the city is to much for you, move to the suburbs.
11/15/2012 8:24 PM
I guess the point went completely over your head.  I'd try to explain but that seems rather pointless.
11/15/2012 8:28 PM
Yeah, you know, I don't smoke. I guess it isn't fair that I done have to pay the tax on that. You are right.
11/15/2012 8:34 PM
You help pay the bill when the smokers get lung cancer and need medical attention.    Although you may as well have said "The purple shoes are pretty" because it has the same relevance as your comment about smokers.
11/15/2012 8:43 PM
I pay payroll taxes on 100 percent of my income.....people making over 116k or around there, don't.
11/15/2012 9:14 PM
I would have no problem with them removing the cap on FICA taxes.  With all the talk about Social Security and Medicare funding, it seems extremely short-sighted to limit contributions.

Unlike income tax, the way FICA is implemented is completely screwed up.  It's primarily funded by the poor and the middle class.

11/15/2012 9:41 PM
Posted by The Taint on 11/15/2012 9:14:00 PM (view original):
I pay payroll taxes on 100 percent of my income.....people making over 116k or around there, don't.
do you not take the standard deduction (at the very least) or contribute to a pretax retirement plan? or am I confusing payroll tax with income tax? I can't keep up with all these taxes.

fair tax would eliminate all of that .... tax brackets, loopholes, deductions, capital gains....
11/15/2012 9:46 PM
Payroll tax = FICA on your pay stub.  It's what funds Social Security and Medicare.
11/15/2012 9:49 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/15/2012 8:43:00 PM (view original):
You help pay the bill when the smokers get lung cancer and need medical attention.    Although you may as well have said "The purple shoes are pretty" because it has the same relevance as your comment about smokers.

It's a choice to smoke.

It's a choice to live somewhere with a high cost of living.

If you can't see the relevance of that you're about as bright as a dude who takes steroids to see if it helps his slow pitch softball game.

The poor schmoes who aren't well off making 250k in NYC  can either:

Move 50 miles away, deal with the commute, and have more buying power

or

Move, take a job paying less in Dayton and pay lower taxes

or

Put their big boy pants on and pay the higher rate

Oh wait, you want the benefit of the increased salary BUT don't want the commute, the increased cost of living, or the higher tax rate.  There's another piece of cake you can have.....
11/15/2012 11:20 PM
Have to admit, the government is doing a great job of diverting attention away from the real issue at hand, out of control government spending.  They've got most of the country fixated on who should be taxed what as the national debt continues to spiral out of control.  Meanwhile Mr. Bernanke and his cohorts continue to print more money to feed this endless cycle.  This will all lead the to worst of all outcomes, rampant INFLATION.  Anyone who actually pays their own bills can attest to the fact that this has already begun to take root.  Inflation is the hidden tax that will ironically harm the 99%'ers most of all.

I'm pretty certain that the majority of the 1%'ers would be more willing to fork over more dough if they thought for ONE SECOND that there was actually a solid plan in place to get us out of this mess we are in.  Unfortunately there is no plan other than print and spend.  One can see why they wouldn't be exactly jumping at the chance to throw money down the black hole.  As things currently stand raising taxes on the "rich" will DO NOTHING to help, won't even make a dent, a blip on the radar.  Somehow people have been fooled into thinking this is the cure all.  Much more needs to be done.

How about coming up with a concrete plan first, THEN asking the wealthy to do a little more to help further that plan.  Of course there is no time for that now because, as usual, those in power have managed to wait until the last minute when we face a cliff, crisis, abyss, or whatever else seems to pop up every few months or so.
11/15/2012 11:51 PM
I find political backlash interesting from a case study pov. some trends I'm seeing from street level.... once you eliminate the rhetoric.

Big banks now charge $8-15 month if you don't meet minimum balance requirements. (Frank/Dodd) ... pretty sure this doesn't affect the wealthy.

Denny's, Papa John's, Applebee's, etc to increase pricing by 5% (Obamacare).... do wealthy people even eat at these places?

Huge national swing of full-time employees in all industries being reduced to under 28 hours to avoid healthcare costs (obamacare) .... and these are not the high paying jobs.

the list goes on....

but are we really so sure Obama is a champion for the poor and middle class? seems like every time he does something to 'help' these groups he ends up hurting them more.

and btw... I agree with your post above, da6n

11/16/2012 5:23 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/15/2012 11:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/15/2012 8:43:00 PM (view original):

It's a choice to smoke.

It's a choice to live somewhere with a high cost of living.

If you can't see the relevance of that you're about as bright as a dude who takes steroids to see if it helps his slow pitch softball game.

The poor schmoes who aren't well off making 250k in NYC  can either:

Move 50 miles away, deal with the commute, and have more buying power

or

Move, take a job paying less in Dayton and pay lower taxes

or

Put their big boy pants on and pay the higher rate

Oh wait, you want the benefit of the increased salary BUT don't want the commute, the increased cost of living, or the higher tax rate.  There's another piece of cake you can have.....
It has NOTHING to do with moving to Dayton, taking a lower paying job and paying lower taxes.

The "rich" have been defined as people making 250k per year.    That may be "rich" in Selma, AL, it is not "rich" in NYC.

That's the point, dumbass.    For ****'s sake, take an adult education class and work on reading comprehension.
11/16/2012 8:38 AM
SOAK EVERYBODY MAKING 750,000+ UP

IF YE CANT LIVE COMFORTABLY ON MILLIONS, TOUGH ****

CUT BACK TO 2 OR 3 HOMES

FLY FIRST CLASS INSTEAD OF BUYING A JET

CUT BACK TO 2 NANNIES AND 2 MAIDS

THRIFT
11/16/2012 9:02 AM
11/16/2012 9:08 AM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22|23|24...34 Next ▸
What really eats me up... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.