What really eats me up... Topic

Definition of ARROGANT

1 : exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner <an arrogant official>
2 : showing an offensive attitude of superiority : proceeding from or characterized by arrogance <an arrogant reply>

It's incredibly funny that you think that this does not apply to you.  You even double down on your arrogance in the verbiage of your denials.
12/6/2012 10:15 AM
Good grief.

Bis, this is for you.

There's a world the way we think it is.  There's a world the way it actually is.  Intelligent people try to align the two. 

Quit being so arrogant.  That's just a suggestion - since this is only an internet forum and of couse you're free to be as arrogant as you want to be. 

If this was only a debate as to whether or not you are being arrogant within this thread, tec has put "paid' to that - complete with relevant quotes.  Your stubbonness on that point alone brings discredit to your ability to debate effectively on the original topics in this thread.  But you likely don't even recognize that.
12/6/2012 10:35 AM
It's incredibly funny that you think that this does not apply to you.  You even double down on your arrogance in the verbiage of your denials.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you think it does apply to me. It's all in your own head, which as I've said multiple times, conveniently fits with your stance of claiming to be some kind of victim here.

Let's set this straight once and for all:

I have NEVER exaggerated my own worth or importance. I have NEVER shown a sense of superiority.

Every quote you have where you suggest it shows arrogance is simply me stating the situation as it is. Perhaps you should consider that I'm not exaggerating anything but am simply telling it like it is.

The most logical explanation is simply that there is no exaggeration and my statements are simply the truth. That wouldn't fit your mold of playing the victim here, though, would it?
There's a world the way we think it is.  There's a world the way it actually is.  Intelligent people try to align the two.
This is exactly what I'm saying. 

tecwrg (and you apparently) THINK I'm being arrogant. That's the world the way you think it is.

I'm not arrogant but am simply telling it like it is. That's the way the world actually is.

You refuse to try to align the two because you want to believe what I'm saying isn't true, so in your own mind, the only way to reconcile that is to believe I'm exaggerating things and am therefore arrogant.

Again, try considering for a moment that the opposite might be true and I may simply be telling it like it is.
If this was only a debate as to whether or not you are being arrogant within this thread, tec has put "paid' to that - complete with relevant quotes.
I actually laughed out loud at this. Literally. I'm not kidding.

The quotes he shows show no arrogance at all but simply statements of truth.
Your stubbonness on that point alone brings discredit to your ability to debate effectively on the original topics in this thread.  But you likely don't even recognize that.
You are being stubborn in your saying I am arrogant when I have clearly demonstrated otherwise.

You can make wild accusations of me being arrogant all you want, and I will tell you they are wrong every time because that is the truth.

You can say the world is flat over and over and then tell me I'm the one being stubborn when I say otherwise, but that doesn't make you any more right than you were to begin with.

So we can all call one another stubborn or you can give up the ghost on this argument of arrogance.

I have clearly demonstrated how it is all in your own head because it fits your agenda as the alternative to my arrogance is to suggest my statements are truths. You can't handle those truths, so your mind has to make up the idea that I must be arrogant in order to explain away what I have to say.

Stop reading arrogance into things where the truth is all that is there.

12/6/2012 10:53 AM
Have you ever thought that perhaps you could be wrong?
12/6/2012 10:55 AM
And I'm just talking as an outside the conversation observer who has paid a bit of attention to this mess.

You come off as a condescending, arrogant *****.

The whole I literally laughed out loud comment is the exclamation point to that last statement.
12/6/2012 11:00 AM
If you block him and don't respond to him, he will wither and die from lack of attention.    I implore you folks who find him annoying to do so.   Otherwise, you're just playing his game and he's "winning".
12/6/2012 11:03 AM
That's a pretty good idea
12/6/2012 11:09 AM
FWIW, I have, and still do, play the game.   Calling me arrogant will only lead to a more arrogant response.   And I laugh the entire time I'm posting it.   There are times when my stance, while unpopular, has morphed into an extreme just to **** people off even more.   Yet reasonably intelligent people, I assume, will follow me right down the rabbit hole. 

That is exactly what bisz is doing to anyone who is still responding to his nonsense.   Maybe you're playing the game too.   If you're not, you're losing.
12/6/2012 11:13 AM (edited)
Let's set this straight once and for all:

I have NEVER exaggerated my own worth or importance. I have NEVER shown a sense of superiority.
Now you are either lying or ignorant.  I'd be surprised if you didn't laugh out loud when you wrote that.  As much as I enjoyed trying to engage in a "discussion" or "debate" with you, it's now time to put the "block" on.  Now go and claim victory again.  Because you say so.
12/6/2012 11:28 AM (edited)
To summarize bistiza's last post at 10:53am (for those who have blocked him):

"I should not be considered arrogant if I truly am intellectually superior to you.  It is merely a statement of fact."
12/6/2012 11:22 AM
And yeah, time for the block.  He can argue with himself.
12/6/2012 11:24 AM
Have you ever thought that perhaps you could be wrong?

Yes, but in this case, I know I'm not.

I simply tell it like it is. Sometimes, when people disagree or can't handle those truths, they need a way to justify that what I said isn't the truth. One way to do that is to assume I must be exaggerating things and am not actually telling the truth. For that to occur, they need to find a reason why I said what I did, and that's why they claim it must simply be as a result of arrogance.

In reality, the truth is the truth and there is no other need to explain why I said what I did.
FWIW, I have, and still do, play the game.   Calling me arrogant will only lead to a more arrogant response.   And I laugh the entire time I'm posting it.   There are times when my stance, while unpopular, has morphed into an extreme just to **** people off even more.   Yet reasonably intelligent people, I assume, will follow me right down the rabbit hole. 

I believe this is YOUR stance, MikeT23. It is NOT mine.

I don't say anything just to **** people off. I simply argue my real opinion so well people get frustrated and angry when they can't find a way to refute what I have to say. Then they launch into these "side debates" about assumptions they've made despite me repeatedly showing them that they are only their own assumptions and have no basis in reality.
Now you are either lying or ignorant.
I would suggest the same of you, as your avoidance of the inherent truth in what I've said is what has erroneously lead you to believe it was arrogant in the first place.

As for blocking me, feel free to do so if you'd like. This "debate" has turned into a few people refusing to let go of their assumptions even when they are told they were wrong to make those assumptions, and no one is arguing the real point of the thread anymore.

I don't have time to keep telling you people the world isn't flat and your assumptions are in error. If someone wants to re-engage me in the real debate of this thread, fine. Otherwise, this should end.

12/6/2012 12:18 PM
You don't get to decide if you're arrogant, other people determine it for you.  Very few people want to admit to negative character traits.  But you don't get to decide for yourself whether you're arrogant any more than whether you're just an *******, whether your selfish, etc.  That's why I said what I said.  If everyone else says you're arrogant, guess what?  You are.  If you come across to literally everyone else as arrogant you ARE arrogant.  That's how arrogance is determined.  This is why I said if you keep having to assert that you're not it's probably not true.

Obviously this should have ended long ago.  Nobody can engage you in a debate because you won't concede any middle ground.  The majority of your arguments are still either unsubstantiated or built on a wildly unrealistic view of human nature, and the fact that you can't even concede a possibility that anything you say is flawed - a HUGE sign of arrogance - makes it impossible to hold a meaningful discussion with you.

Arrogant *****.

12/6/2012 3:38 PM
You don't get to decide if you're arrogant, other people determine it for you.

No. Other people can jump to as many ridiculous conclusions as they'd like but that doesn't necessarily make any of them true.

As I've said, you can claim the world is flat as many times as you want, get as many people to join you in making that claim as you want, jump up and down and scream it over and over again for as long as you want, and it still won't be any more true than it was to begin with. It's the same thing people are doing here by claiming I am arrogant, and that's not any more true now than it ever was, as I've never said anything out of arrogance.

People want to believe it is arrogant because it allows them to not only play the victim to my arrogance but also to dismiss the inherent truth in what I'm saying. It plays a convenient role for them, so they embrace it. It's also served to distract from the main argument they were losing, also a convenient move for them. I must say the smoke screen of creating a side debate about phantom ignorance which exists only in their own minds has served them well.
Very few people want to admit to negative character traits.
I'm very honest about my traits, both good and bad. I tell it like it is. For example, I'm aware I am sometimes cold and insensitive to certain issues that seem to make others emotional, while strangely enough I respond to things some others do not.

However, I know I am not arrogant. Nothing I've said was intended as a show of arrogance, and nothing I've said should have been interpreted as such unless someone deliberately wanted to do so, which is exactly what has happened here, as it fits in their agenda on multiple levels I've already discussed.
If everyone else says you're arrogant, guess what?  You are.
As I already explained, it doesn't work that way. Everyone can say anything that isn't true as much as they want and it doesn't make it true. Let's stop with these illogical ideas please.
If you come across to literally everyone else as arrogant you ARE arrogant.  That's how arrogance is determined. 
These people are misinterpreting - I believe deliberately so - in order to make that judgment.

Their assumptions are in error, meaning the interpretation is incorrect. The fact that the misinterpretation is shared doesn't make it any more valid.
Nobody can engage you in a debate because you won't concede any middle ground. 
On the contrary. I am happy to concede middle ground should it be presented. The problem is no one is presenting middle ground and is determined to sidetrack everything into debates about non-existent arrogance they assume is there because it is convenient.
The majority of your arguments are still either unsubstantiated or built on a wildly unrealistic view of human nature, and the fact that you can't even concede a possibility that anything you say is flawed - a HUGE sign of arrogance - makes it impossible to hold a meaningful discussion with you.
I've asked repeatedly to be shown these supposed "flaws" in my ideas and am open to the possibility they exist - but I have to see the evidence of it. If you can't show me the evidence, there is zero reason for me to believe in a flaw that isn't shown to be there.

If you think having justified confidence in my position is arrogance, you really do need to try thinking of it from another perspective. Remember in order for something to be an arrogant statement, it must be an exaggeration and not simply the truth.

Let's try a sports analogy and see if that helps (I doubt it, but I'll give it a try).

If you strolled through an otherwise empty gym and noticed Michael Jordan was casually shooting a basketball, you might have a conversation with him if you could. If he told you "I used to be a really great basketball player" or challenged you to a game of one on one and bet he could beat you, there is no way you would consider him to be arrogant for saying these things, as they are true statements and not exaggerations.

If you took batting practice with Albert Pujols and he said he could hit several balls out of the park if he wanted, you wouldn't call him arrogant because he probably could do it.

If you were a goaltender and Sidney Crosby wanted to score on you in hockey and said he could do it just about every time, he probably could unless you're an incredibly good goaltender. You wouldn't call him arrogant because his statement is probably true.

In the same way, the things I've said are probably true, so they do not represent arrogance. I hope that little analogy helps, but I doubt it because everyone calling me arrogant is so determined to have it be true because it fits their agenda and without it they have nothing.
12/7/2012 8:42 AM
This thread makes me look brilliant.   I figured out this tool's game a month ago and blocked him so I wouldn't be tempted to argue.    Others are just now figuring it out. 
12/7/2012 8:47 AM
◂ Prev 1...29|30|31|32|33|34 Next ▸
What really eats me up... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.