1st year four guys with most titles get to draft the divisions (all time W's as a tiebreaker if same number of titles) most titles gets 1st pick of team to put in his division, etc, serpentine draft. How does that sound? And this may reduce the number of dropouts, I bet more than a few people over the years have quit a progressive because they were stuck in a division with a stacked team. Thoughts?
12/5/2012 7:24 PM
I think the 10-year idea is great, but if you progress the undrafted guys then the pool in years 8-10 may be too thin for 24 competitive teams. Also should address years that are not in the database yet and what happens if say I take Kyrie this year and we are doing season 3 next summer or season 6 in summer 2014, are Kyrie's 2012-14 seasons off limits because I used him in year 1? And how about 1-3 spots for a "farm team". Say I want Anthony Davis, it would be cool to stash him on a farm team while I wait for the 2012-13 NBA season to hit the database. This would also allow people to retain MJ or Bird etc for the years they were hurt. With a farm team I could draft the Brow now, put him on the farm team until say season 3 when this year hits the database, then put him back on the farm until the next NBA season is available for us, thoughts?
12/5/2012 7:47 PM
Well, being able to stash a player or two sounds good but only makes things more difficult for new owners coming into the league after its already begun. The PCL already allows you to keep players that miss a season because of injury.

The thing I liked about logain's DDL was that not only was I competing with my division, I was also keeping an eye on the owner that had my first round pick in the other conference. Don't remember who it was, but I thought of them as our rivals. If you got MJ, you're also checking on the other MJ now and then because your MJ is obviously better. A progressive where each conference is run as its own league could work. Separate draft pools, drafts, commissioners and free agency pools. Keeping a team under the cap while keeping guys you like is tough in the PCL. There would always be impact players available for new owners to draft. A 52 million cap would eliminate any need for keeping track of contracts.

But whatever really. I don't think there's enough owners to get anything like this off the ground. If there is, the rules don't matter much to me.

12/5/2012 8:59 PM
I don't think there's enough owners to get anything like this off the ground.

This.

Also, this discussion just grew very painful.  I'm now removing myself from it.
12/5/2012 9:53 PM
Posted by xxevilivexx on 12/5/2012 10:03:00 AM (view original):
I've sent a personal sitemail to thirty owners. One kindly responded and said he is satisfied with the amount of teams he fields and the otther committed to being in/interested. Nobody else replied, unless obviously in this discussion.
My reply is in this forum, and I'm in.  Should we take a more formal poll in this forum to see where we are?
12/5/2012 10:14 PM
Posted by Ginandjuice on 12/5/2012 8:59:00 PM (view original):
Well, being able to stash a player or two sounds good but only makes things more difficult for new owners coming into the league after its already begun. The PCL already allows you to keep players that miss a season because of injury.

The thing I liked about logain's DDL was that not only was I competing with my division, I was also keeping an eye on the owner that had my first round pick in the other conference. Don't remember who it was, but I thought of them as our rivals. If you got MJ, you're also checking on the other MJ now and then because your MJ is obviously better. A progressive where each conference is run as its own league could work. Separate draft pools, drafts, commissioners and free agency pools. Keeping a team under the cap while keeping guys you like is tough in the PCL. There would always be impact players available for new owners to draft. A 52 million cap would eliminate any need for keeping track of contracts.

But whatever really. I don't think there's enough owners to get anything like this off the ground. If there is, the rules don't matter much to me.

I liked the double draft league also.  With a $52M cap, its tough to have a competitive league if all players are exclusive.
12/5/2012 10:25 PM
Yep i'm in. 
The double draft idea with a $52M cap is great.  The clone draft makes it even more competitive.
The 2nd season clone draft could be done any number of ways there are no boundaries for that.  
The only thing I'm asking is let each owner decide how many to Keep/Cut.
Ash is right this league needs commitment and I think there is enough to give this a try.
Only one way to find out.
12/5/2012 11:13 PM
The problem I have with a clone draft is that there will be 3 instances of players in the league. Now that's just weird. I think its really a either/or/neither situation. Not both. But it's not something I would be hung up on if there were enough owners.
The Parallel Progressive League? A parallel universe and that faces off against each other to decide a champion?
I agree with seapilots, with a cap there's no need to mandate how many players you have to keep or cut with a cap.
12/5/2012 11:59 PM
Posted by ashamael on 12/5/2012 9:53:00 PM (view original):

This.

I can safely say that the intent of this thread was to collectively come up with a solution to a bigger problem than just one theme league or progressive starting. It is sad when there isn't even interest from twenty-four people. It makes me lean further towards backing out of this sim. I've enjoyed it and don't want to see it end horribly and hey, maybe some of us shouldn't care as much in the grand scheme of things. I'll keep this open, I'll establish rules and if people join then that would be great, if not then it is more telling of the times. The biggest joke though is how a concern is commitment issues because of the length of a progressive, yet every league stalls horribly and that leads to even longer wait times. If we all wanted to be on here and have something run smoothly, it is our own deal at the end of the day. As much as the developers of the game have neglected to make this enticing to a new audience, the old audience in all of us are like bitter old people, what happened to just having fun with things and when did it all become about winning or not playing at all, that isn't to say that I enjoy spending money and losing, but if I cared about losing I for one wouldn't have stayed around. I don't need the ego boost, I just like the sport and the sim.
12/6/2012 12:11 AM
Posted by xxevilivexx on 12/6/2012 12:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 12/5/2012 9:53:00 PM (view original):

This.

I can safely say that the intent of this thread was to collectively come up with a solution to a bigger problem than just one theme league or progressive starting. It is sad when there isn't even interest from twenty-four people. It makes me lean further towards backing out of this sim. I've enjoyed it and don't want to see it end horribly and hey, maybe some of us shouldn't care as much in the grand scheme of things. I'll keep this open, I'll establish rules and if people join then that would be great, if not then it is more telling of the times. The biggest joke though is how a concern is commitment issues because of the length of a progressive, yet every league stalls horribly and that leads to even longer wait times. If we all wanted to be on here and have something run smoothly, it is our own deal at the end of the day. As much as the developers of the game have neglected to make this enticing to a new audience, the old audience in all of us are like bitter old people, what happened to just having fun with things and when did it all become about winning or not playing at all, that isn't to say that I enjoy spending money and losing, but if I cared about losing I for one wouldn't have stayed around. I don't need the ego boost, I just like the sport and the sim.
Amen Evil!
I enjoy the mental exercise of the draft.  If my team sucks oh well.  That's why I enjoy the progs
and having a player for their career and trying to build over the long haul.  Anyway it's cheaper
and healthier than smoking.  My kids think I'm a nerd for playing. haha.
They didn't grow up waiting until after the 11 o'clock news to watch the NBA playoffs on CBS.
Yes I grew up in the sticks and still am.  Seems the net makes the world a little smaller.
Thanks for the input everyone and I don't think this is painful or dead.  not yet!
12/6/2012 1:50 AM
Well there's only one way to find out evil. Post whatever version of this league with the ideas you've heard that you want. I think the PPL could work personally if you can get it off the ground. I'm in. I used to play basketball, my dream job would be as a NBA GM, and I love competition. I even help play/coach with a Special Olympics team because I cant get enough of it.
Seapilots I hear you about the nerd thing. The only woman that knows I do WIS is the one I trust. Otherwise it's almost a secret.
12/8/2012 8:41 AM (edited)
Well for starters, there will definitely be a hard cap of 52 Mil

You can start a player at year 1, 2 or 3 upon drafting them.

Those two rules are set in stone.

I need to work 9-5, but tonight the officials will be put in place.
12/8/2012 8:57 AM
Those both seem good. I'm still in favor of parallel leagues running next to each other with no clone drafts. I think there would be plenty of good players available for new owners to pick up.
12/8/2012 9:13 AM
Here is another alternative I have cooked up. 

We begin with a draft identical to the one that started the PCL. 52 million.. not a double league..

Then take all of the players drafted in the most recent NCIH 52 million league.. this would be 7x24 or 168 players.

We then assign them timeslots from the NEW YORK lottery numbers game that zizzo uses to do the lottery each year in his leagues.

We could then use the NY Lottery numbers to randomly select 12 of these guys to join the draft pool each year. This selection would not happen until sometime during the league playoffs. So tank if you want but you might get stuck without a real first round draft pick.. or you might get into a draft with Wilt and LBJ or something.

Once a player is drafted he goes off the board. When we run through all 168 players we look at the latest version of NCIH 52 and set up a new draft board using those players. Or more likely we just set the lifespan of the league at 13 seasons and reboot afterwards.

I could easily set this up and anyone could run the yearly lotteries. It just takes a little copy and paste into excel to sort the numbers.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Note, this idea for draft classes would work even with the double progressive as well. It would mean we would have 3 of some players but it would be limited. I think this idea makes the need for the double draft much lower though. There will be new talent every year to help struggling teams...and always hope for new owners to rebuild.. unlike the current PCL.

12/8/2012 9:27 AM
I thought about something similar to that... withholding some players from the original draft and filtering them in afterwards.
12/8/2012 11:12 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.