In our Platoon League, mlb 102281, I am looking for suggestions. I want to maintain the general charm of the league, while limiting the repetition of players. My favoriet idea, so far, is to allow managers to name an exclusive player, and a 50 season span of their choice, from which all their players must come from. The basic rules of the them are these:
   $69m cap. I would be amenable to raisingthe cap. 
   Hitters: 100min PA to 500max PA, and no more than 40 SBs.below average Pitchers: 60 IP/162 min to 225 IP/162 max, minimum HR/9 .25
   6/2.
   AAA: 6/2 below average U-Pic, but they cannot be called up until game 100, and by game 120 rosters must be fixed. In addition, only 4 of the six can be called up, in either a 3/1 or 2/2 combination.
   No trades
   No WW
   No clones.

11/15/2012 3:25 PM
Thinking outside the box here with a two-pronged approach:

Instead of an exclusive player, how about an exclusive year? Then, instead of a fixed cap, how about a variable cap based on the range of years an owner takes?

I'm thinking something like 90M - (Last Year - First Year) * 1M. That makes it possible to build a team for 89M if you build from one and only one year, but doing that based on these requirements will be HIGHLY difficult. I could see it done from a span of 10 years for 80M, but those 10 will likely be 8 or 9.

Have every team submit a year they want secretly. If more than one owner submits that year, it is blacklisted and the owners try again. Each team must have at least one player from the exclusive year.
11/15/2012 3:58 PM
This is an interesting idea for a league. I am going to try and build a team, following league rules, using a 21 year spread. I'll report back.
11/15/2012 10:47 PM
I like this idea, with no AAA, and possibly going higher on the cap. Perhaps start at 100m, with the same restrictions as before. I thinkmost of uswould find a 15 year period that we could work with.the timeframe named would be exclusive to that owner, but there would be some overlap, and your stadium would also have to come fromthat time period. Perhaps an exclusive player/pitcher, or both, fromthat time period.
11/16/2012 2:23 AM
the idea is ok by me except for the higher salary cap. the charm of the league for me is having guys like Craig Shipley and Dan Gladden on the team.
11/16/2012 2:41 AM
I think 100M - 1M per year is too much. This is supposed to be a low-cap league, and thinking back on it, 90M - 1M might be a touch too much.

How about 75M - 0.5M per year?
11/16/2012 9:57 AM
I agree with you generally. Higher cap leagues are easier to fill, which is the biggest reason I'd go higher. I looked at several different time periods, and it is very do-able. I wish more managers fromthe league would get on here and coment on this.
11/16/2012 10:43 AM
I am not committing to an additional season... but I'll throw my 2 cents into the discussion.  I enjoyed playing in these two leagues, but I suspect that the theme is played out for me.  It's pretty obvious how to field a playoff team, and the rest is just execution.

What makes this league interesting to me 
  • Very active forum because people are involved with their team
  • You constantly need to adjust your roster due to fatigue
  • Teams struggling in the beginning of the season get look forward to AAA day
  • Pick your own AAA is fun, you can design your team around what you know is coming up.
  • The small cap means that every team has some weakness... You can't have every pitcher with a WHIP below 1.0 and every hitter with OBP over .400. 
    • Small cap means that players are more likely to approach RL stats, lots of unusual players on leader boards.
What makes the league less fun to me
  • Player repetition
  • struggle to fill
So to keep me interested, the league would have to have:
  • Low cap ($80m or less)
  • Some pick your own AAA, and some time to wait for them
  • Reason to platoon (PA limit, salary cap per player limit, whatever)
  • Some kind of shake up so we pick a bunch of different players next season
Otherwise, it's just a regular league.

Some suggestions / tweaks.  By no means do I suggest all of these, just throwing some suggestions out there.
  • Let your AAA players come up a different times based upon team W/L or team salary
    • : $80 league cap.  $79-80m team, no AAA for you.  For each $2m you drop, you get to bring up one AAA player (76-78m = 1, 74-76=2, etc)
    •   When you can bring them up is set by a loss threshold: You can't bring them up until you have lost 45 games.  Or you can bring one player up for every 15 losses you have after the first 30, or ..... Your imagination.
  • Blacklist.  Everyone nominates one pitcher and one hitter.
  • Change criteria for pitchers... Get everyone more involved.  Min 75IP, max 175IP. Make people juggle their rotation a bit. 
Good luck with whatevery you decide.  I do like the idea of variariable AAA, but that would be a bear to administer.
11/16/2012 11:07 AM

In my suggestion, though, the only thing that would really change the formula for winning is the variable AAA one.  Everything else is the same concept with different players thrown in.

11/16/2012 11:08 AM
Here's a simple rule, If you win a World Series you can't return with anyone from that roster
11/16/2012 11:38 AM
The one thing I have seen offered in some theme leagues are time periods of a decade.  For example, the commissioner offers decades such as the 1910's, 1920's, and so forth.  A person interested in playing would chose the decade they would like their players to come from.  Perhaps two or three owners would need to be in each decade based on the time limitations.  You would still have the possibility of duplicated players, however, not to the degree we are experiencing currently.  In addition, my thoughts on a salary cap is that it be $75 million.  Any higher would defeat the purpose of the league in my eyes.  In theme leagues I currently have a self-imposed limit of not competing in leagues with a salary cap higher than $100 million.
11/16/2012 1:25 PM (edited)
In italyprof's season with this, we had BA and ERA restrictions. We could bring those back. I like biglenr's suggestion of bringing up a AAA player at various loss intervals. I havente seen that in any other league.
11/16/2012 1:24 PM
If you consider the loss criteria for bringing up AAA
  • The best teams in the league will finish the season with around 60 losses. If you do an every 15 loss brings up AAA, the worst teams may have 5 AAA guys, the best only 3 at the end of the season. 
  • The worst teams in the league will get help first.  That should help parity, and keep people interested longer.
  • I'd say once a player is up, he's up.  No sending him back (maybe unless you hit another loss threshhold...ie:  Every 15 losses you can bring up an additional AAA guy, and if you choose, switch out any AAA guys up).
Just options...

But I'll say that I find this interesting enough that I might run a league like that if you don't choose to do it in this league.  I will wait for you to fill your league before I post it.
11/16/2012 2:00 PM
So many ideas it's difficult to make everyone happy at this point.  Personally I like the low cap, and IP/PA restrictions.  There are players in this league you never see in WIS, and the activity of the owners is great.  I wouldn't mind seeing other restrictions that would change the players selected.  <20 HR's.  Nobody with an IP/G over 5 so everyone has to run tandems, or use all RP's.  So far the only idea I am opposed to is higher caps and no limits on PA or IP to open up the pool.  Put the cap at 80, open up the restrictions and I'll be facing Joss every game again...I did like Biglenr's idea about the incremental release of the AAA.  Presently everyone gets the influx at the same time.  If you could get a pitcher to give you a bunch of good starts, or a utility player to relieve fatigue before others, it could turn the tide...or at least give you hope!
11/17/2012 1:23 AM
I have been drafting teams by various methods, and this is what I like. $70m cap, 6/2 AAA. We have been using average, wouild we like to step that up to above average? Ithink that, personally, I would keep it at average. I like the ideaof biglenr, although I think 12 losses and asub .500 w/l% would be good, and everyone can bring them up at game 100. I also entertain the thought of allowing all 8 up, but,ther is more repition among AAA players than anywhere else. I like the idea of a 20 year span, selected by the manager, from which allplayers must come. The 20 year span would be exclusive, but we would have to allow overlap, and your stadium would also have to come from that 20 year span.
Notrades, no WWno clones. What do you think?Talk to me about the AAA, all 8 come up, 6, or keep it as is? Go up to AA AAA? An exclusive player, subject to or not subject to, league restrictions? Other restrictions?
11/17/2012 1:44 AM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.