How do you explain WiS to friends? Topic

Most people prefer to stretch in the 7th.
11/16/2012 2:43 PM
My guess is if you insist on explaining HBD to your friends is that you won't have to worry about friends for very long.
11/16/2012 3:04 PM
I try not to talk about HBD with anyone other than my wife, and then only as necessary. The primary exception is while vacationing, and then only if there is a draft up coming or during off season events, and then I just say "it is like fantasy sports but fake." That usually ends any conversation.
11/16/2012 3:16 PM
It's easier to explain D&D to friends than this. At least that I nerded out with a group of friends rather than alone in front of my PC.
11/16/2012 5:34 PM
I always say it's fantasy baseball and get the "who do you have on your team?".. Well... I have this guy, errr, fake guy, that uhhhh, well the guys aren't real players, they're made up.

End of conversation.
11/16/2012 5:40 PM
Posted by crickett13 on 11/16/2012 5:34:00 PM (view original):
It's easier to explain D&D to friends than this. At least that I nerded out with a group of friends rather than alone in front of my PC.
Most people would not admit they like D&D or anything like this because they are too insecure with themselves. I don't care who knows I play HBD, they are not my friends if they stop talking to me over it.
11/16/2012 7:20 PM
It isn't a question of fearing friends and family will judge, at least I think for most people this is not the case. Rather it is just a conversation that almost no one is interested in having because it is so far from anything relevant to their lives.
11/16/2012 8:05 PM
I just say, "Remember APBA?  This is better!"

People look like a doe in the headlights.

Then I say, "Hey, I get to hang with MikeT23!" 

People respond with, "Get a friggin' life!"

They know Mike, but don't know APBA.  Go figure.

Joshin', Mike, Joshin'

moe

11/17/2012 2:01 AM
Posted by tedwmoore on 11/16/2012 8:05:00 PM (view original):
It isn't a question of fearing friends and family will judge, at least I think for most people this is not the case. Rather it is just a conversation that almost no one is interested in having because it is so far from anything relevant to their lives.
That pretty much nails it.   They aren't interested.   I'm not interested in their baby's bowel movements, they're not interested in my MG WS run.   Go figure.
11/17/2012 8:33 AM
My wife always gives me a smile and then hisses that if I get this, she gets spa days.

Whatever, wifey, just don't mess with me when I am on here.
11/17/2012 8:44 AM
Remember, some of the people that shake their heads about HBD go home and play Farmville for 4 hours a night.
11/17/2012 9:07 AM
Been playing so long my wife and kids don't even really notice or say anything anymore. It was funny when my kids were younger and I would play some games in the sim live. They thought daddy was a little touched in the head cause I would be sitting there calmy watching the computer and all of a sudden I would start yelling.
11/17/2012 2:33 PM
As has been said, it boils down to interests. I find people who are sports fans, even if they could care less about HBD, at least understand it. It's a way for us to feel "involved" in the sport in a way we never could in real life.

For those who aren't sports fans, we're up there with nerds who dress up in full Spock gear to watch Star Trek. Just find something you find nerdy about them to throw back when need be. Usually kills the convo pretty quick.

"You play SIM sports? Hours on a website, pouring over stats and decisions for players and teams that don't even exist? Really?"..."You and your girlfriends watch the Bachelor religiously and then spend hours incessently obsessing over a guy you don't know, will never meet, and then tearing apart the other desperate women on the show to make yourselves feel better."..."I'll be downstairs."
11/17/2012 6:40 PM
Posted by musketeer22 on 11/16/2012 2:07:00 AM (view original):
When one of your buddies asks you who the hell that fake person is on your phone when you're out at the bar, how do you explain that it's your star CF and you don't know what to do because he got hurt?

Or when your girlfriend asks you who you're texting because she thinks you're texting another girl, but in reality you're just proposing a trade to someone?

I usually say that it's "fantasy fantasy" baseball. Fantasy baseball but with fantasy people also.

I don't log on when out, so no one knows I play.  No explanation required.
11/20/2012 6:04 PM
Posted by tomhighway on 11/16/2012 7:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crickett13 on 11/16/2012 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Most people would not admit they like D&D or anything like this because they are too insecure with themselves. I don't care who knows I play HBD, they are not my friends if they stop talking to me over it.
Cheese and rice...
11/20/2012 6:19 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
How do you explain WiS to friends? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.