Defending the All Pass Offense Topic

If you study I think you will find that this short passing approach is exactly what those guys are using to exploit the defenses.
12/11/2012 5:51 PM
I was going more theoretical instead of actually looking someone up.. so basically the only way to stop it is to get DBs that can match up. 
12/11/2012 6:21 PM
,,, which explains why you see some serious cash thrown into landing quality DBs during recruiting.
12/11/2012 10:45 PM
Nickel passing and conservative has been working for me lately. Don't like dime, rather have 4 DL then 3.
12/12/2012 8:29 AM
Not sure why I am helping out since I don't carry a single RB on either of my teams but here you go...

http://www.wisjournal.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=455428&ThreadID=9874285#l_9874285

The teams that stop me have recruitied specifically to stop the pass by carrying 9 or more good DB's.  The problem with that is only one or two teams on their schedule are all pass, so is it really worthwhile to recruit to stop only a small percentage of the teams you will play?
12/13/2012 11:43 AM
If I was in your conference.. yes-- but since I will only see you in the playoffs its not as important.
12/13/2012 12:29 PM
Posted by zharkins on 12/13/2012 11:43:00 AM (view original):
Not sure why I am helping out since I don't carry a single RB on either of my teams but here you go...

http://www.wisjournal.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=455428&ThreadID=9874285#l_9874285

The teams that stop me have recruitied specifically to stop the pass by carrying 9 or more good DB's.  The problem with that is only one or two teams on their schedule are all pass, so is it really worthwhile to recruit to stop only a small percentage of the teams you will play?
Thanks.
12/13/2012 12:35 PM
I have had pretty good success the past couple of seasons with the tendency setting functioning as distance from the line for my back 7. If my opponent is throwing a lot of short passes I put the tendency at Run and it seems to lock down, or at least limit big gains from short passes (unless I play aggressive). If my opponent is throwing deep I play a Pass or Heavy Pass tendency. Its worked for me the past couple of seasons, but I would never claim to be an expert.
12/13/2012 1:30 PM
Posted by jkenned on 12/13/2012 1:30:00 PM (view original):
I have had pretty good success the past couple of seasons with the tendency setting functioning as distance from the line for my back 7. If my opponent is throwing a lot of short passes I put the tendency at Run and it seems to lock down, or at least limit big gains from short passes (unless I play aggressive). If my opponent is throwing deep I play a Pass or Heavy Pass tendency. Its worked for me the past couple of seasons, but I would never claim to be an expert.
+1
For a long time I couldn't bring myself to play "run" or "heavy run" to stop a short/medium passing attack, but when I did my defense started clicking. My opponents will hit a home run every once in a while going deep, but not near as often as they were breaking long gains with short passes in years past. Playing close to the line also causes more sacks and seems to cause more turnovers...
12/13/2012 8:44 PM
Now, lets get back more to the original question (but this is all good discussion).

DBs...or DLs....

It appears that the key is having stellar DBs...certainly still need solid other positions...but the DBs appear to get the nod from the discussion thus far.

That is my thought as well and I've been putting more focus on great DBs the last several seasons.
12/13/2012 10:37 PM
Posted by bullfrog333 on 12/11/2012 3:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by brocal on 12/11/2012 3:38:00 PM (view original):
Norbert posted on the board in the last couple of months that it was the aggressiveness setting that put your guys off/on the line, not the tendency.
Cool.  I'd love to see that quote if anybody has a link.  Thanks.
If you guys wanna go by what's in the FAQ, good luck with all that...that thing is a freaking disaster. 

But I'm going off what Norbert says the engine currently does.  I've used these settings ever since I saw this post and usually have a Top 5 Defense, so I know it works:

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=41&TopicID=455428&ThreadID=9874285#l_9874285

"...It's really easier to just think of the Tendency setting as Pass vs Run and not try to think of it as player positioning at all.  Conversely, the Aggressiveness setting is easiest to think of in terms of where do you want the most cover.  Conservative is deeper down the field and Aggressive is closer to the LOS..." - Norbert

12/14/2012 11:01 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 12
Defending the All Pass Offense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.