What do you look for in a ML Bench Coach, and why?
12/12/2012 6:48 PM
Either one with a high pitching or hitting ratings, as it is the accumulative value among your coaching staff that helps, not any single coach.  If my pitching coach is not as highly rated as I would like I get a bench coach with the highest pitching rating I can.
12/12/2012 7:53 PM
I set my ML argumentative setting to 0 and pay the minimum salary for a ML bench coach.
12/12/2012 7:58 PM
I look for the one that will take the minimum.
12/12/2012 11:04 PM
Do you pay any attention to patience or discipline ratings? I'm looking at a guy with 0 patience and 100 discipline. I can see how that would be bad in a real coach, but I'm not sure if it really translates to HBD at all.
12/13/2012 12:56 PM

- This is the coach's patience rating. The higher the rating, the easier it will be for him to tolerate and coach younger players. Of course, if he's really good in the other areas, his lack of patience may be acceptable.

- This is the coach's discipline rating. The higher the rating, the more focused he'll be on the fundamentals such as bunting, throwing strikes and hitting the cutoff man. Of course, this means he'll spend less time on some of the other important aspects of his role.

12/13/2012 1:50 PM

IMO, that says "A patient coach will be better in the low minors are developing a player's overall skill(like splits)" and "A disciplined coach will focus on contact, eye. bunting, control and arm accuracy."

12/13/2012 1:52 PM
I havent started my first regular season game in HBD but I thought strategy was the best rating to judge a bench coach?
12/13/2012 5:30 PM
It is, they sharpen your teams ability to pinch hit/run, etc at the most opportune times.
12/13/2012 6:55 PM
Posted by rangerup on 12/13/2012 6:55:00 PM (view original):
It is, they sharpen your teams ability to pinch hit/run, etc at the most opportune times.
Only if your "manager" is ejected.  

Most of the time, the ML bench coach is useless.
12/13/2012 7:20 PM
I look primarily for high pitching/hitting ratings and secondarily for high fielding/baserunning ratings. I also have guessed that patience is worth 1/10 of the main rating(s) for any coach. Who knows if thats accurate, but its what I go with.
12/13/2012 9:01 PM
My franchise is rebuilding so most of my players are younger. Based on my other coaches, I pick BCs who complement or balance them and show good patience and discipline to run the team well. And to my eyes higher strategy ratings seem to drive the prices up.
12/13/2012 10:32 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
+1
12/14/2012 11:41 AM
Posted by rangerup on 12/12/2012 7:53:00 PM (view original):
Either one with a high pitching or hitting ratings, as it is the accumulative value among your coaching staff that helps, not any single coach.  If my pitching coach is not as highly rated as I would like I get a bench coach with the highest pitching rating I can.
The way I read the help (below) that's only true at the minor league levels.

"Bench coaches are important, because they can improve/hurt the day-to-day management operations of a minor league franchise as well as affect in-game decision making (even at the big league level if the manager gets ejected). They generally have different managerial settings than the ones you've set, for instance."

12/15/2012 12:16 AM (edited)
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.