Diamonds in the Rough (Just 1 more needed!!) Topic

Posted by SAKABAKBRG on 1/6/2013 9:46:00 AM (view original):
Welcome guys. I haven't created the league yet, but will in another day or two. My girlfriend's mother passed away a couple of days ago, so I haven't exactly been on here much. Give me until Tuesday, and then, I promise, there will be a league number.
Sorry to hear this SAK. Wishing you and her all the best during this difficult time.
1/8/2013 8:57 AM
Posted by glen87 on 1/6/2013 10:27:00 PM (view original):
sorry to hear Sak,  take your time, we'll be here.

i think the $75 cap is ok.  True, I did not  spend all of it, but i think that is part of it.  remember, those 6 players can only play 50 games, the big part of this league will be how you use all of your players, not just the "big" six.
Thanks for the kind words guys. This was a tough weekend, especially since my own mother passed away 6 months ago. I was hoping for a better 2013 than 2012, but it certainly isn't starting that way.

As for the cap, I quoted glen87, because he hit the nail on the head. It's not who you take, it's how you use them. I made the cap high enough so that you could take a the most expensive guy at each position if you wanted. Even with that though, there are questions, as have been mentioned already. Do you got for offense from the blue line or defense? Do you take a low GP/high save % goalie knowing that you won't need him every game? But since they can't play more than 50 games, you need to decide when to use them. Use them early and try to build up a big lead in standings? Save them for the stretch drive? Use some early and some late? There are plenty of strategies you can use, and not everyone is going to use the same one. This league is more about team management than drafting. That said, I will draft my team when I get home from work this evening, and we'll have a league number then.

1/8/2013 3:28 PM

Sounds good!  Let the strategizing begin!

1/8/2013 3:36 PM
League # has been sent. If you didn't get it, let me know.

One last change - your team name must be a KISS song.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_discography
1/8/2013 8:28 PM
Posted by SAKABAKBRG on 1/8/2013 3:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by glen87 on 1/6/2013 10:27:00 PM (view original):
sorry to hear Sak,  take your time, we'll be here.

i think the $75 cap is ok.  True, I did not  spend all of it, but i think that is part of it.  remember, those 6 players can only play 50 games, the big part of this league will be how you use all of your players, not just the "big" six.
Thanks for the kind words guys. This was a tough weekend, especially since my own mother passed away 6 months ago. I was hoping for a better 2013 than 2012, but it certainly isn't starting that way.

As for the cap, I quoted glen87, because he hit the nail on the head. It's not who you take, it's how you use them. I made the cap high enough so that you could take a the most expensive guy at each position if you wanted. Even with that though, there are questions, as have been mentioned already. Do you got for offense from the blue line or defense? Do you take a low GP/high save % goalie knowing that you won't need him every game? But since they can't play more than 50 games, you need to decide when to use them. Use them early and try to build up a big lead in standings? Save them for the stretch drive? Use some early and some late? There are plenty of strategies you can use, and not everyone is going to use the same one. This league is more about team management than drafting. That said, I will draft my team when I get home from work this evening, and we'll have a league number then.

This is the real key.... sure, I took Orr and Gretzky and Sawchuk... but the entire point of this league is how you manage the games played limit, the line settings, and the placement of your stars among the scrubs.  That's what makes this idea a winner.

PS: Can I use part of a KISS lyric instead of a song title?
1/9/2013 11:23 AM
Bump
1/14/2013 5:37 AM
i'll throw a team in.  :>
1/14/2013 8:36 AM
it's a great theme.  should be really interesting actually managing the team through the season instead of just setting lines and letting it go.  :>
1/20/2013 2:15 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Only need 5 more now!
1/26/2013 10:50 AM
I'll give this a try..  Up for something a little different and thought provoking.  
1/30/2013 10:04 AM
Bump
2/6/2013 5:36 AM
Quick question. Are we required to play all minor league players 20 games as well?Since we are using very good ML's. I know for the most part it would be in our best interest to take this path.However since we have to play our backup goalie 20 games and then if we have to play the ML goalie 20 games as well,  that really puts the cap on the starting goalie at 42 games for the starting goalie.

If this is not the case then we need to be careful to deactivate our starting goalie or modify the settings for pulling the starter as to not waste a game played in a relief/mop-up  role
2/8/2013 12:03 AM
There is no minimum for the MLers, just a maximum of 40 games. It specifically says the 20 game minimum is for the 165K players.
2/8/2013 5:38 AM
True.  Sorry I missed that,  guess I did not read it carefully enough.  Thanks
2/8/2013 2:37 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Diamonds in the Rough (Just 1 more needed!!) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.