High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Try a gun show.
12/18/2012 3:16 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 2:16:00 PM (view original):
For tec since he called my suggestion that semi-automatics are needed by hunters to protect the animals being hunted a "WTF? moment:

The AR-15, one of the rifles that became an assault weapon with the passage of the AWB because of its physical characteristics, is a .223 caliber. The .223 is smaller and less lethal than many rifle calibers. In most states, a .223 is not permitted for hunting big game because of the caliber’s ineffectiveness at bringing down animals such as deer and elk.

Hunters do look for a quick kill and most states agree that wounded animals running around in the woods is bad business.

Being humane to animals is a very civilized and admirable thing.

In terms of priorities, I would rank it lower than trying to minimize the number of deaths that might be caused by a deranged gunman intent on carrying out the next Newtown.
12/18/2012 3:37 PM
Posted by furry_nipps on 12/18/2012 3:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 12:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/18/2012 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 12:32:00 PM (view original):
I imagine more people die from drunk driving than gunshot wounds.   Outlaw motor vehicles and alcohol?

I'd suggest those thinking they'll burn in hell for eternity are less likely to commit the sin that puts them there.    Bring prayer back to schools?
First question, no. That's not a reasonable restriction. But the police do set up DUI check points and the punishment for a simple DUI (no accident, injury, death etc) is fairly steep.

Second question, as someone who went to Catholic school for over ten years, I know that forcing kids to pray in school doesn't make them better people. But if you're OK with your kids being led in prayers from the Koran everyday, please call your representative and try to get the change made.
First, you can't just walk in a store and buy an assault weapon.  There are some pretty solid restrictions.   And some pretty steep punishments for illegal having guns.    Sound familiar?

Second, I assume you know everyone who ever prayed in school.  Quite the story you got there.   Try again.
I live in Oregon and just bought a gun yesterday. I was curious to how easy it would be so I went to wal mart. They had a pretty big selection of rifles with no questions asked, but I wanted something else. They told me 2 gun shops so I hit one up 2 blocks from my house that I didn't know existed. Walked in at 5:42 and walked out just shy of 6 PM with a simi auto gun. Just needed ID and finger prints
What kind of gun?
12/18/2012 4:01 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/18/2012 3:37:00 PM (view original):
For tec since he called my suggestion that semi-automatics are needed by hunters to protect the animals being hunted a "WTF? moment:

The AR-15, one of the rifles that became an assault weapon with the passage of the AWB because of its physical characteristics, is a .223 caliber. The .223 is smaller and less lethal than many rifle calibers. In most states, a .223 is not permitted for hunting big game because of the caliber’s ineffectiveness at bringing down animals such as deer and elk.

Hunters do look for a quick kill and most states agree that wounded animals running around in the woods is bad business.

In terms of priorities, I would rank it lower than trying to minimize the number of deaths that might be caused by a deranged gunman intent on carrying out the next Newtown.
Drive a car full of explosives and gasoline into a crowded eatery.    Same result. 
12/18/2012 4:02 PM
Which is why bombs are illegal.
12/18/2012 4:11 PM
And this is why I hate these discussions so quickly after something like this.

One evil, crazy man.  Two double barrel shotguns.  A bag of shotgun shells   One teacher, one teacher's aide.   22 six year olds with one way out.    WTF do you think the end result is?

Make shotguns illegal?
12/18/2012 4:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 4:18:00 PM (view original):
And this is why I hate these discussions so quickly after something like this.

One evil, crazy man.  Two double barrel shotguns.  A bag of shotgun shells   One teacher, one teacher's aide.   22 six year olds with one way out.    WTF do you think the end result is?

Make shotguns illegal?
I actually agree with mike that banning specific firearms is nowhere near a viable solution. In fact, it misses the target completely. Pretty much anything illegal can be had if someone is determined to get it. To ban assault rifles just makes politicians happy.... That is all... It doesnt make a school, etc safer. Aren't guns banned in school zones... Didn't stop that lunatic in newtown. A ban does not stop a 20 year old from acquiring the weapon. I've never owned a gun in my life.... Yet I know where I can get mercury tipped bullets (whatever those are).
12/18/2012 4:55 PM (edited)

It's just a kneejerk reaction to pacify someone without addressing the problem.

Let's just ban the Bushmaster .223 and move on as the problem will be solved. 

12/18/2012 4:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 4:53:00 PM (view original):

It's just a kneejerk reaction to pacify someone without addressing the problem.

Let's just ban the Bushmaster .223 and move on as the problem will be solved. 

That's what our politicians do best. Smile and wave.... Everything will be just great.
12/18/2012 4:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 4:02:00 PM (view original):

Drive a car full of explosives and gasoline into a crowded eatery.    Same result. 

When was the last time that happened in the U.S.?  Oklahoma City in 1995?  (I know, a truck and a federal building rather than a car and an eatery, but same concept.)

How many incidents, and how people have been killed in mass shootings with HCAW since then?

12/18/2012 5:06 PM

The problem with all of this is that the urgency to do something will cause a law to pass which will only do one thing:  make some people feel better.

Pragmatically it can't do much more.  Is there a single law that will be passed as a result of all of this that in retrospect would have done anything at all to stop what happened in Connecticut?

The problem with gun control laws is that it only addresses legal supplies.  It does absolutely nothing to address demand.  The demand for guns will always be there among those who wish to do something evil with them.  Black markets will get guns into the wrong hands. 

The problem with these shootings - primarily - is the existence of evil people - not evil inanimate objects.

12/18/2012 6:06 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/10/did-colorado-shooter-single-out-cinemark-theater/

A new insight into the Aurora shooting...

There were multiple theaters close to the shooters house.

He didnt choose the closest.
He didnt choose the biggest
He didnt choose the one that would come up first in google

He did choose the only one that didnt allow people to carry!

He didnt want freedom loving citizens to stop him.
12/18/2012 6:39 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/18/2012 6:39:00 PM (view original):
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/10/did-colorado-shooter-single-out-cinemark-theater/

A new insight into the Aurora shooting...

There were multiple theaters close to the shooters house.

He didnt choose the closest.
He didnt choose the biggest
He didnt choose the one that would come up first in google

He did choose the only one that didnt allow people to carry!

He didnt want freedom loving citizens to stop him.

Irrelevant.

How many fewer people would have been killed or injured had he not had access to such powerful weapons?

12/18/2012 7:28 PM
Posted by silentpadna on 12/18/2012 6:06:00 PM (view original):

The problem with all of this is that the urgency to do something will cause a law to pass which will only do one thing:  make some people feel better.

Pragmatically it can't do much more.  Is there a single law that will be passed as a result of all of this that in retrospect would have done anything at all to stop what happened in Connecticut?

The problem with gun control laws is that it only addresses legal supplies.  It does absolutely nothing to address demand.  The demand for guns will always be there among those who wish to do something evil with them.  Black markets will get guns into the wrong hands. 

The problem with these shootings - primarily - is the existence of evil people - not evil inanimate objects.

I don't think it's possible to completely stop these kinds of incidents from happening.  But there are steps that may be able to be taken to minimize the scope and frequency of such events.

There is not going to be a single solution, such as "only" gun control, or "only" mental health, etc.  Nothing is ever that simple.  It needs to be addressed from many different angles, each providing an incremental step towards mitigating these incidents.  
12/18/2012 7:32 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/18/2012 5:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 4:02:00 PM (view original):

When was the last time that happened in the U.S.?  Oklahoma City in 1995?  (I know, a truck and a federal building rather than a car and an eatery, but same concept.)

How many incidents, and how people have been killed in mass shootings with HCAW since then?

How many people have been killed by a drunk driver?

How many people have died of cancer?

How many people have died from liver disease?

How many people have died from a handgun?

You sound like a woman overreacting to a horrible tragedy.   If you want to "solve" the problem, don't focus on a single incident. 
12/18/2012 7:53 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.