High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

I don't want this to sound like talking down, especially since I can name at least 5 things in Canada where we are completely out of step with the rest of the world.

However...

Sometimes, you need to take a step back. Why, when you look at murders per 100000 of population, for years and tears and years, is the US generating stats comparible with the 3rd world and totally out of step with the developed world?

Other countries have guns. Other countries have crime. Other countries have farmers that shoot wild boar.

Listen to me when I say this; there are two times when I have a complete disconnect with what you are saying in these forums, and I can speak for most of the world when I say this;

1. Guns as a right is a foreign concept to anyone other than you. Guns are a privledge to the rest of the developed world.
2. Healthcare is a right to the rest of the developed world. It just became a right...sort of...in your country.

From that, you guys say **** that makes me go "whoa".

Need a gun to protect myself? Don't get it. If you don't have guns, next thing you know the gov't has control? Name the last democracy that went down in flames because the populace didn't have guns. There are democracies that have lasted hundreds of years where the prime minister walks to work. For **** sakes, Horatio Hornblower died 250 years ago.

I don't think your country can turn around their mindset and thought process to change this. Can't happen.
12/17/2012 10:57 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/17/2012 10:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/17/2012 9:48:00 PM (view original):
BTW, that's probably the dumbest comment in this thread.   "Well, yeah, what about pot???!?!?!"
It was, for about 42 minutes.  Up until the point when he said that most gun owners hope that they have an opportunity to kill somebody some day.
He's obviously from the go big or go home school of thought.
12/18/2012 10:06 AM
Now we get healthcare thrown into the mix.   I WANT POT AND HEALTHCARE, GODDAMMIT!!!

Guns = something you can use to protect your well-being.   Odds are virtually none of us will ever have a use for a gun.   However, guns have a use and, as most of us won't be a skilled gunman, we need more than one shot.

Healthcare = something you're asking the government to provide to you because, well, I guess you think they should.  Debatable but not really in the conversation with gun ownership.   Don't bring it up when talking about gun control.   That's just dumb.

Pot = something you use to mellow out or get ****** up.  Only a stoner or a dumbass would drag it into a gun restriction discussion.   Pack the bong and walk away from the computer.  You have nothing to add.
12/18/2012 10:13 AM
It's a mindset, and I didn't think you'd understand it, much the same way I don't understand "Guns = something you can use to protect your well-being.   Odds are virtually none of us will ever have a use for a gun.   However, guns have a use and, as most of us won't be a skilled gunman, we need more than one shot."

Because I've never even considered gun ownership. Not once. I don't get the "I need it to protect myself" mindset. I've protected myself for 45 years, my father before me for 65 years, his father before him for 80 years, 0 guns.
12/18/2012 10:22 AM
I understand the mindset.   I know plenty of people who don't have a gun, don't want a gun, don't understand why I have guns.

As I said earlier, I haven't fired a weapon in over 20 years.   However, I don't want to be in a situation, like a big *** wild boar charging me, and think "Damn, wish I had a gun." 

That's probably the mindset of the very few gun owners who just aren't waiting for a chance to kill someone in "self-defense".
12/18/2012 10:42 AM
I have lived in the country for all of my 53 years.  I have hunted and fished and owned weapons all of my life.  We have deer, turkey, and coyotes with the reports of wolf and cougar in our area.  I believe every citizen has the right to bear arms.  I DO NOT BELIEVE that entitles the population to have assault rifles and multi-round clips.  As someone who has grown up around guns my whole life I have never felt the need for a weapon that fires 30 rounds in five seconds.  I have been attacked by deer when I have gotten too close to their young and been within 10 feet of coyotes who would not back down because they were protecting their territory.  At no time did I think this was an opportunity to have an assault weapon.  A more important concern is the growth of mental illness in the country and the general lack of resources available to people to deal with the problem.  I guess I should not be surprised, though, when I see the appalling way we treat our returning veterans from overseas duty.  The proliferation of video games that glorify the use of weapons such as the WarGames or Halo series has not helped this situation either.  In my eyes, it appears you can take a life without any long term implications which does not happen in real life.  I cringe when I think mentally impaired individuals play these games and this becomes their reality.
12/18/2012 11:01 AM
There are mentally inpaired individuals in other countries.
There are hunters in other countries.
There are people who play role playing games in other countries.
There are people that smoke pot in other countries.

Figure out the "x-factor" that makes your murders per 100000 so ridiculously high. I doubt you can, because you are so entrenched in it, it can't be pointed out to you.
12/18/2012 11:22 AM
I have a firmer grasp of the obvious than you apparently do.
12/18/2012 11:36 AM
ANYONE blaming video games is out of touch with reality.   That's a parental decision.    Start with better parenting. 

I think everyone understands that guns make murder easier.   But an individual intent on murdering someone can crush them with a car, beat them with a brick, stab them with a knife or maybe even have them attacked by pit bulls.  Hell, with the internet, you can figure out how to make a bomb.   Crashing a car loaded with explosives into a school bus will take a lot of lives.  

If you really want to stop mass killings, figure out the mindset of those doing it. 
12/18/2012 12:17 PM
We can't do both?

Why not make it harder to kill people with guns while we're working on the mental health side of things?

You can kill people with a bomb, right? But we don't allow bombs just because, "well, hell, you can kill people with knives and cars and guns, it's pointless to take away their bombs."
12/18/2012 12:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 12:17:00 PM (view original):
ANYONE blaming video games is out of touch with reality.   That's a parental decision.    Start with better parenting. 

I think everyone understands that guns make murder easier.   But an individual intent on murdering someone can crush them with a car, beat them with a brick, stab them with a knife or maybe even have them attacked by pit bulls.  Hell, with the internet, you can figure out how to make a bomb.   Crashing a car loaded with explosives into a school bus will take a lot of lives.  

If you really want to stop mass killings, figure out the mindset of those doing it. 
I think video games play a part in the overall cultural shift towards violence. I'm not blaming video games for the actions of these lunatics but you are blind if you can't see the effects of violent video games on our youth. Its the same with sexual content on TV.... Is it any wonder why kids are more sexually active at much younger ages in today's society? Sure its a big part bad parenting .... But lets face it both video games and TV have replaced parenting.... And if that's what these kids see all day that's what they will think is normal.
12/18/2012 12:31 PM
I imagine more people die from drunk driving than gunshot wounds.   Outlaw motor vehicles and alcohol?

I'd suggest those thinking they'll burn in hell for eternity are less likely to commit the sin that puts them there.    Bring prayer back to schools?
12/18/2012 12:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 12:32:00 PM (view original):
I imagine more people die from drunk driving than gunshot wounds.   Outlaw motor vehicles and alcohol?

I'd suggest those thinking they'll burn in hell for eternity are less likely to commit the sin that puts them there.    Bring prayer back to schools?
First question, no. That's not a reasonable restriction. But the police do set up DUI check points and the punishment for a simple DUI (no accident, injury, death etc) is fairly steep.

Second question, as someone who went to Catholic school for over ten years, I know that forcing kids to pray in school doesn't make them better people. But if you're OK with your kids being led in prayers from the Koran everyday, please call your representative and try to get the change made.
12/18/2012 12:36 PM
Posted by moy23 on 12/18/2012 12:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 12:17:00 PM (view original):

I think video games play a part in the overall cultural shift towards violence. I'm not blaming video games for the actions of these lunatics but you are blind if you can't see the effects of violent video games on our youth. Its the same with sexual content on TV.... Is it any wonder why kids are more sexually active at much younger ages in today's society? Sure its a big part bad parenting .... But lets face it both video games and TV have replaced parenting.... And if that's what these kids see all day that's what they will think is normal.
First, if your child is incapable of seperating video games/television from reality, you've done a horrible job of parenting.   Do ******* better.   Second, maybe ****** parenting comes from a lack of family values.  Maybe the traditional family actually does do a better job at parenting than these new age families.   Perhaps people should re-examine their idea of family.
12/18/2012 12:36 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/18/2012 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 12:32:00 PM (view original):

First question, no. That's not a reasonable restriction. But the police do set up DUI check points and the punishment for a simple DUI (no accident, injury, death etc) is fairly steep.

Second question, as someone who went to Catholic school for over ten years, I know that forcing kids to pray in school doesn't make them better people. But if you're OK with your kids being led in prayers from the Koran everyday, please call your representative and try to get the change made.
First, you can't just walk in a store and buy an assault weapon.  There are some pretty solid restrictions.   And some pretty steep punishments for illegal having guns.    Sound familiar?

Second, I assume you know everyone who ever prayed in school.  Quite the story you got there.   Try again.
12/18/2012 12:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.