High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

First, you can't just walk in a store and buy an assault weapon.  There are some pretty solid restrictions.   And some pretty steep punishments for illegal having guns.    Sound familiar?

In many states you can. No background check or permit required. My friend just bought an AR-15 in Arizona. Took all of 30 minutes (once he got to the store) and he doesn't live in Arizona.

EDIT: to clear up any confusion, he used to live in Arizona, his parents still do, and still has his AZ ID. 

Second, I assume you know everyone who ever prayed in school.  Quite the story you got there.   Try again.

So I can assume you do? Since you're so confident that will make a difference.

12/18/2012 1:02 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 12/18/2012 12:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 12:17:00 PM (view original):
ANYONE blaming video games is out of touch with reality.   That's a parental decision.    Start with better parenting. 

I think everyone understands that guns make murder easier.   But an individual intent on murdering someone can crush them with a car, beat them with a brick, stab them with a knife or maybe even have them attacked by pit bulls.  Hell, with the internet, you can figure out how to make a bomb.   Crashing a car loaded with explosives into a school bus will take a lot of lives.  

If you really want to stop mass killings, figure out the mindset of those doing it. 
I think video games play a part in the overall cultural shift towards violence. I'm not blaming video games for the actions of these lunatics but you are blind if you can't see the effects of violent video games on our youth. Its the same with sexual content on TV.... Is it any wonder why kids are more sexually active at much younger ages in today's society? Sure its a big part bad parenting .... But lets face it both video games and TV have replaced parenting.... And if that's what these kids see all day that's what they will think is normal.
First, if your child is incapable of seperating video games/television from reality, you've done a horrible job of parenting.   Do ******* better.   Second, maybe ****** parenting comes from a lack of family values.  Maybe the traditional family actually does do a better job at parenting than these new age families.   Perhaps people should re-examine their idea of family.
Except traditional families are fewer and fewer. You are denying reality. Most families require dual incomes nowadays to stay afloat. Reality? I see sex appeal all over the TV.... I hear about teenage pregnancies all the time, high school sex games, contraceptives in schools.... THAT IS REALITY now. Let's talk about reality.... aren't mass shootings becoming a reality? I say yes.

But back to parents.... lets talk about a family that had/has great values, very catholic, parents still married, no alcohol in the house.....I'm referring to my parents.... I still went out and got hammered, drove drunk, did drugs, and got laid..... They've tried to use a curfew, ground me, even called the police on me.... Did I have bad parents?

Dont get me wrong... Bad parenting is an issue but you also have to cede there is only so much parents can do with all the other influences surrounding our children.
12/18/2012 12:55 PM
Posted by imladris12 on 12/18/2012 11:36:00 AM (view original):
I have a firmer grasp of the obvious than you apparently do.
Says "Halo is making killers of us all!!!!!!!"

Straight out of the PRMC handbook. Slap a sticker on the game. That'll make things better.
12/18/2012 12:58 PM
And there are bad parents, kids having pre-marital sex and drunk people in other countries too. They still don't have anywhere near the same murder rate as the US.
12/18/2012 1:01 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/18/2012 1:02:00 PM (view original):
First, you can't just walk in a store and buy an assault weapon.  There are some pretty solid restrictions.   And some pretty steep punishments for illegal having guns.    Sound familiar?

In many states you can. No background check or permit required. My friend just bought an AR-15 in Arizona. Took all of 30 minutes (once he got to the store) and he doesn't live in Arizona.

EDIT: to clear up any confusion, he used to live in Arizona, his parents still do, and still has his AZ ID. 

Second, I assume you know everyone who ever prayed in school.  Quite the story you got there.   Try again.

So I can assume you do? Since you're so confident that will make a difference.

I don't even think it's legal to own an assault weapon in many states.   I suppose the classification of "assault weapon" may be the difference but, quite honestly, I don't think a multi-round .22 caliber rifle is going to be considered an assault weapon.

I don't.  I'm not even sure prayer was allowed in school(Pledge of Allegiance started the day until 3rd grade though) back in my day.   However, I seriously doubt it hurt anyone.  Being scared of **** stops a lot of people from doing dumb ****.   Burning in hell for eternity is a pretty big thing.
12/18/2012 1:38 PM
FWIW, I'm not really advocating prayer in school nor do I believe "Daddy works, Mommy cleans house" is really an answer.   But I do think a father figure wouldn't hurt.  All this single parent **** is hurting society as a whole.   And that may be because Junior sits around and watches sexy television shows or plays violent video games while mommy works.  

I am suggesting that human life means less in this far more liberal society than it did 20-30 years ago.   "I'm not hurting anybody" isn't really true.
12/18/2012 1:42 PM
There is no official definition of assault weapon.  (EDIT: I guess there is now, but they aren't banned)

This is for sale in Arizona right now:

Someone capable of mass murder probably isn't too concerned with burning in hell.

12/18/2012 1:46 PM
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Assault-Weapons.htm

I must say I'm a bit surprised by the definition.
12/18/2012 1:46 PM

One could argue that someone capable of mass murder doesn't believe in hell. 

12/18/2012 1:47 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 1:47:00 PM (view original):

One could argue that someone capable of mass murder doesn't believe in hell. 

Pope Urban II would disagree with you.
12/18/2012 1:48 PM
I'll add that I'm really surprised by how many states allow ownership of registered automatic weapons.    That seems goddam insane.
12/18/2012 1:49 PM
BTW, looking at the guns you posted, I don't think any of them qualify as AW as they are.
12/18/2012 1:52 PM
They have the pistol grip and detachable clip.   Nothing else.

• Telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Grenade launcher
  • Flash suppressor
12/18/2012 1:53 PM
Yes they do. That AR-15, which is clearly mentioned as an AW in the article you posted, has a pistol grip and a telescoping stock.

Anyway, the national AW ban was not renewed.

12/18/2012 1:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2012 1:53:00 PM (view original):
They have the pistol grip and detachable clip.   Nothing else.

• Telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Grenade launcher
  • Flash suppressor
They only need to have TWO off the list.
12/18/2012 1:54 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.