12/21/2012 12:18 PM
Posted by barracuda3 on 12/20/2012 11:47:00 AM (view original):
My biggest complaints are the aforementioned phenomenon of modern pitchers being able to be used effectively in a two man rotation for the entire postseason, and the ability for starting pitchers to "bank" innings and then start multiple games in a row at 100%.  See crazystengel's thread in the SimLeague Baseball forum about starting Brian Bohanon 17 games in a row, most of them at 100%.

The crazy thing about being able to overuse SPs so much is that in my experience, RPs are treated to the opposite extreme.  I'll rest a closer for the last few games of the regular season, use him in the regular season for fewer innings and pitches than RL, then he throws 10 pitches in game 1 of the playoffs and is less than 100% for game 2.  Greg Maddux can start 4 games in a 7 game series, each at 100%, but Mariano Rivera is at less than 100% after throwing 1 inning after not pitching for 3 days?  It's preposterous.

A less important, yet desirable (for me) change would be to allow closers to enter the game in the 7th inning.  I could be wrong, but based on experience I believe that the current sim engine only considers bringing closers in for the 8th inning (unless there is no other eligible pitcher, perhaps).  Guys like Goose Gossage used to enter games in the 7th inning and get saves often.
Yes. This. That middle one. Both for SPs and RPs

It makes it a real pain to build a bullpen... and rotation too... you have to build completely different ideas depending on the playoffs vs. the regular season... this doesn't really make sense to me.

RPs should be able to throw back-to-back games, especially if their first appearance was of a low PC. I've seen this Rivera phenomenon (with almost every RP ever) throughout all my playoff experiences.
12/21/2012 8:17 PM
I would like to set my line up for future games beyond just the very next one.  Because I have a life, I am not always at a computer, especially on vacations, or getaway weekends & would rather not have to constantly monitor my team, especially with regards to fatigue.  I would like to set my team knowing I won't have a guy at 79% because I missed checking for a couple of days. I know we can set an automatic sub factor when a player goes below a determined fatigue percentage, but I'd like the freedom to also change my line-up depending on which opponent my team may be facing in a few days.  

Also, I thought some time ago the "Milacki factor" was to be corrected, but it has still been used against me effectivley in the playoffs. Milacki & McDowell come to mind. It's a joke when a reliever doesn't pitch all season & then he has Superman abilities in the playoffs.

I also agree that low HR's allowed by pitchers should be weighted more heavily, making their $ value go up.   This may allow for HR ( power teams) being a little more on par with the value and success that SB (speed teams ) currently seem to have.   Love Joss, but it does take away some of the fun when most teams carry him on their team. 
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
12/29/2012 6:52 PM
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 12/19/2012 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for the great updates.

Please, please, eliminate or cut back on the artificial advantage you gave to hitters, last major revision (was it about 3 years ago? - the major revision). If some pitcher squelching is needed for the best deadball pitcher's player-seasons, just make it a little bit, for them, etc.  Otherwise, make very good and excellent pitching a salary issue and let market factors work.

Please do it in the interest of realistic, "what if sports." That's what is fun - not carnival ball.  ;-`

A follow-up to this -- there's nothing written in baseball rules that says a very good, well-balanced team must have fielders that make as much money as its pitchers.
12/31/2012 1:52 PM
Posted by nelliejr on 12/22/2012 3:34:00 PM (view original):
I'm just a rookie in my first season, so I don't claim to know a lot, but here's a radical suggestion that would solve at least some (i.e.,Addie Joss) of the issues: separate the dead ball era game from the modern era game. That is, you can play a pre-1920 simulation or a separate post-1920 game. Baseball was a totally different game before 1920--especially in the 1800s. Frankly, I would say it is impossible to produce a statistically accurate simulation when mixing the two eras. Any thoughts, veteran players? Tell me if I'm missing something.
You have a point, but I think this goes against the philosophy of the sim. The whole idea is to compare players from different eras and see how they do against each other.
12/31/2012 1:58 PM
I would like to see a change in the success of the deadball pitchers compared to modern pitchers, especially in the area of HR allowed. Guys like Joss and 3-finger Brown were great pitchers, but would they really give up 5 or 6 HR a season against modern sluggers?. Was Addie Joss really that much better than the modern aces? If Joss gives up 3 HRs in RL and in the sim that doubles to 6, while a modern hitter with 40 HRs only hits 25 in the sim, the modern hitter loses much more than the deadball pitcher. One loses 3 HR while the other loses 15. This, to me, is part of the reason why deadballers are so valuable in OL. A price increase (specifically the cost for HR/9) would level the playing field, but I think, to be more accurate, they should not perform quite as well as they do.
1/8/2013 10:54 PM
It would be nice to change the system so we would not face a reliever / closer in the playoffs as a starter.  Example Cisco Carlos, Bob Milacki, etc.  You don't see Fernando Rodney, Hudson Street or Craig Kimbrel making starts in playoffs for their teams.
of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.