Posted by harriswb3 on 1/10/2013 11:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by trombumpet on 1/10/2013 9:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by scrodz on 1/9/2013 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by trombumpet on 1/8/2013 11:04:00 PM (view original):
I always RS during the SO season I make sure to RS all QBs and then the highest potential Defense guy and Offense guy after that.
Don't you take a WE hit?
I promise FR starts to high end WRs and RBs and DBs, start them as freshmen (where they gain like 10 to 15 WE, they lose between 7 and 10 WE the following season but the FR start gets them improving a lot more than redshirtting them as FR and then having them start as SO (also easier to win recruiting battles against human coaches with that FR start promise.
I'm not going to argue, but I don't see the math working out in your favor...unless you only have guys with really awesome WE already...otherwise, you stunt their growth.   At least thats what I'm thinking....
Everyone has their own way but here is an example of where I see what I do having benefits. One huge reason is I use post season rewards (however meager they are) to discount my next season so I never have more than my current season on my team and Red Shirting freshmen requires that extra season.

Richard Pollard GDreports www.gdreports.com/stagg/player/history
Drake Roster whatifsports.com/gd/TeamProfile/PlayerRatings.aspx

My SO OL in Drake,  Pollard gained approximately 8 WE starting 11 games as a true freshman   He was a below average guy when I picked him up but I had good upper classmen to cover for him for the first half and then I pulled him at half.   I gave him a RS before recruiting started, and it dinged him 11 WE so his WE is about where it was when he signed on at Drake.    At worse he has a net negative 3 points in WE compared to if I red shirted him as a Freshman.   Ignoring the WE hit (which doesn't affect how the guy plays on the field) Pollard has gained more on his cores than anyone else on my OL.  My SO current starter Anderson has the same potential and a higher work ethic and he has gained less on his cores.   Now I am not arguing that my way is better but I am trying to demonstrate that there isn't any real negative to sticking a Red Shirt on a SO  (as long as you started him as a true freshman.   Yeah, it is a bad move if they weren't starters because they didn't have the WE improvement to negate the WE loss as SO.  But it is a tactic I have been using since day one and hasn't pointed me in the wrong direction yet.    

1/11/2013 1:44 AM
Not trying to discount anything you're saying, but his cores are improving more because he's starting off so far behind.
1/11/2013 7:08 AM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.