Piazza
Raines
L.Smith
Trammell
Maddux
Thomas
Glavine

Apologies to Schilling, Edgar, Mussina and Kent. You'll get my my vote soon
Gotta give Morris the nod and Trammell the kiss good-bye, as well as Smith. Hopefully Morris gets in, if NOT, all 3 will be vetrans admissions.

IMHO: Biggio, Bagwell and Piazza should join Maddux and Glavine getting in. (maybe Thomas too?) But,  I feel the holier than now writers won't want "too many" getting elected...in 2014.

Raines will get more votes and get closer....

Am NOT neglecting Bonds/Clemens. They'll get my vote at some point and will get in before they expire...They would have gotten my vote this year.
(not joining the holier than thou writers, but the waters are already muddied and since they didn't get in on the first ballot.....gotta move on for now....they'll get in....)
1/9/2013 7:29 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/9/2013 7:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 1/9/2013 6:13:00 PM (view original):
Barry Bonds admitted to using the cream and the clear.
That's why I said "knowingly".

Look, I'm not defending him - I think he did it. But if we're going by the "innocent till proven guilty" approach, there's still reasonable doubt.
But you don't think still reasonable doubt for Clemens? The evidence against him is weaker than the evidence against Bonds.

This is hair splitting. If you have a problem voting in a known steroid user, you vote for neither. If you don't, you vote for both.
1/9/2013 7:30 PM
I think you have to take a tremendous leap of faith to think that Bonds took the cream and clear and didn't know they were steroids.

But enough of that, I honestly don't give a **** who did what. Put everyone in on the basis of their stats.

The baseball system is screwed up. I like the NFL system the best, a bunch of guys get a room after some voting sessions and usually end up with 4-7 guys making it.
1/9/2013 8:08 PM
They always elect 4 to 7 because that's what the rules dictate.  And that room is thought to be rife with internal politics, and the NFL is now starting to get a fairly untenable backlog of candidates that they can't really do anything about because they can only put 7 in a year (and there's actually a maximum of 5 "modern" inductees in a year).    I don't know that it's any better than baseball's.  

The only major issue with the baseball system now is the debate over what to do with PEDs.  I don't think decreasing the number of voters and putting them in a room together is going to get PED users in, and if you coupled that with minimum numbers of inductees... yuck.
1/9/2013 8:27 PM
I don't disagree with you, but I think the PED issue is actually masking the real issue. We're so focused on the writers who are making a stand or submitting blank ballots, that the incompetent voters are still slipping through relatively unchallenged.

I think there should be a huge voting committee, composed of writers, executives, HOFers, and other current and former players. You need all perspectives on the game. A guy's clubhouse presence could potentially be a huge influence on younger players and the reason his team wins. But writers and fans aren't necessarily going to see that impact from the outside. Likewise, players may vote for their buddies, so we need people outside the game to offer a somewhat objective assessment. There needs to be balance.
1/9/2013 8:57 PM

Time to let this player in

1/10/2013 9:00 AM
Bagwell
Biggio
Bonds
Clemens
Maddux
Piazza
Raines
Schilling
Thomas
Trammell

Apologies to the deserving candidates left out.
1/10/2013 2:22 PM
The biggest problem with this backlog will be the deserving players who drop off the ballot. The ten name limit will tie writers' hands, and several players who have plenty of support for the Hall will end up having to wait for the Veterans Committee to give them their chance.
1/10/2013 2:53 PM
Every steroid abuser deserves to get in before any person who bet on MLB while participating in it does. 
1/10/2013 3:00 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Nobody who brought the credibility of the game into question makes my ballot, be it via gambling or PED's.

Lee Smith
Maddux
Glavine
Biggio
Morris

1/10/2013 3:24 PM
Posted by evil_twin on 1/10/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Nobody who brought the credibility of the game into question makes my ballot, be it via gambling or PED's.

Lee Smith
Maddux
Glavine
Biggio
Morris

How do you know these players didn't use steroids?

Why do assume Piazza used?
1/10/2013 4:02 PM
Posted by evil_twin on 1/10/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):

Lee Smith
Maddux
Glavine
Biggio
Morris

And how do you separate Biggio and Bagwell?

Here's the "evidence" against Bagwell:

he showed little power as a youngster
     befriended noted steroids user Ken Caminti
     got a lot stronger in the majors
     turned into one of the game’s best players

The same is true for Biggio.

EDIT: Also, you'd vote for Lee Smith and Jack Morris but not Schilling or Mussina? Can anyone really make the argument that Smith and Morris were better than Mussina and Schilling?

1/10/2013 4:35 PM (edited)
So, Pete Rose is comparable to Charles Manson?
1/10/2013 7:24 PM
Bagwell
Biggio
Bonds
Clemens
Glavine
Kent
Maddux
McGwire
Piazza
Sosa
1/10/2013 11:40 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Potential 2014 HOF Ballot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.