Patriots 9.5 points favorites over Ravens Topic

Yea, I had Tarkenton on my list of potentials.  But I also found myself writing down Anderson.  And I crossed off Bradshaw before I crossed off Anderson, which I thought was kinda nuts.
2/15/2013 11:03 AM
I put Bradshaw just ahead of Brady, which means there are a plethora of candidates ahead of both in terms of greatest QBs ever.

Now if you're talking MOST OVER RATED QBs EVER, then they make the top of the list easy:

1. Tom Brady
2. Terry Bradshaw

2/15/2013 11:07 AM
Mine was completely off the top of my head.   Never even thought of Anderson.   But, I bet if I looked at his stats, I'd wonder why. 

Seems to me that the decades are split up into certain categories(although Montana ***** up the 80s a bit).
70s-winning ugly
80s-big numbers but losers in big games
90s-big numbers but winners in big games
00s-big numbers

I also imagine, if Rodgers had started 3-4 seasons earlier, he'd easily replace Brees on my list
2/15/2013 11:07 AM
If Rodgers started 3-4 seasons earlier, and played at the same level he has been playing, he'd probably be in my top 5.  I just can't put him on an "all-time" list when he's still in his 20s.
2/15/2013 11:10 AM
No matter who you put on the list of the best Brady doesn't belong anywhere close to it.
2/15/2013 1:37 PM
Posted by bistiza on 2/15/2013 1:37:00 PM (view original):
No matter who you put on the list of the best Brady doesn't belong anywhere close to it.
Hahaha!!  Your dumbassery knows no limits.
2/15/2013 1:59 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/15/2013 10:53:00 AM (view original):
That's how I feel about Tarkenton.   Dude threw for 47000 yard and ran for 3000 more.   He played in an era where the INT wasn't the death of a QB and, when completion percentage took on more importance, he increased his accuracy.    He averaged 20 passing, 2 rushing TD on his career and, if I'm not mistaken, lost 3-4 Super Bowls.   Put a couple of SB wins in there and he gets a lot more all-time love.
You're around my age, so guys like Tarkenton and Stabler seem really cool, because that was the time when we were playing schoolyard football, and Oakland/Minnesota were always in the playoffs.  Tarkenton lost Super Bowls to Bradshaw, Griese, and Stabler, and didn't play well in ANY of the Super Bowls.  He was just too frenetic and scattered and weak-armed to carry a team (speaking of good defenses carrying a QB, how about the Purple People Eaters?)

Anyone that puts Young ahead of Montana must be under the age of 40.  Steve Young, while exceptional, inherited an offensive MACHINE, and could still only win one SB as the quarterback.  Roger Craig's fumble that ended the run for a three-peat probably changed history for Steve Young and Jim Kelly, because the 49ers would've played Buffalo in the Super Bowl, and one of those guys would've won their first Super Bowl.  Montana had been broken in half by Leonard Marshall (which would've gotten Marshall ejected in today's pussified NFL) in the championship game.
2/15/2013 2:06 PM
I agree for the most part.   But, in that era, 20 passing TD per year was pretty damn solid.   He averaged that for his career.  And 47000 yards?   Was that the record when he retired?
2/15/2013 2:34 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/15/2013 2:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/15/2013 10:53:00 AM (view original):
That's how I feel about Tarkenton.   Dude threw for 47000 yard and ran for 3000 more.   He played in an era where the INT wasn't the death of a QB and, when completion percentage took on more importance, he increased his accuracy.    He averaged 20 passing, 2 rushing TD on his career and, if I'm not mistaken, lost 3-4 Super Bowls.   Put a couple of SB wins in there and he gets a lot more all-time love.
You're around my age, so guys like Tarkenton and Stabler seem really cool, because that was the time when we were playing schoolyard football, and Oakland/Minnesota were always in the playoffs.  Tarkenton lost Super Bowls to Bradshaw, Griese, and Stabler, and didn't play well in ANY of the Super Bowls.  He was just too frenetic and scattered and weak-armed to carry a team (speaking of good defenses carrying a QB, how about the Purple People Eaters?)

Anyone that puts Young ahead of Montana must be under the age of 40.  Steve Young, while exceptional, inherited an offensive MACHINE, and could still only win one SB as the quarterback.  Roger Craig's fumble that ended the run for a three-peat probably changed history for Steve Young and Jim Kelly, because the 49ers would've played Buffalo in the Super Bowl, and one of those guys would've won their first Super Bowl.  Montana had been broken in half by Leonard Marshall (which would've gotten Marshall ejected in today's pussified NFL) in the championship game.
Re: Young/Montana - OK, fair.  Montana put up "Young-like" numbers his last few years before Young took over.  But was it the same team in the late 90s too?  Young's league-leading numbers were consistent throughout his starting career.
2/15/2013 2:47 PM
Still utterly befuddled, huh, nomar? I expected as much. It's no big deal. Plenty of people can't argue effectively and resort to insults because of that.

You keep on making sure you're identified as one of them, though.

2/15/2013 4:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/15/2013 2:34:00 PM (view original):
I agree for the most part.   But, in that era, 20 passing TD per year was pretty damn solid.   He averaged that for his career.  And 47000 yards?   Was that the record when he retired?
Yah, Sir Francis had most of the longevitiy records for QBs by the time he retired.  Amazing that a little guy that scrambled as much as he did played as long as he did. 
2/15/2013 5:37 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/15/2013 10:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 2/14/2013 11:02:00 PM (view original):
and Burnsy
1) Manning
2) Young
3) Montana
4) Elway
5) Marino
6) Favre
7) Brady
8) Unitas
9) Graham
10) Brees

3 things -  

1) I know I'll get **** for putting Young up there.  But he was the best QB of the 90s.  Period.  Look up the stats.  And he won 2 Super Bowls.  It's hard to do, but if you separate him from Montana, imagine him on another team, and everyone thinks he's top 5.  Young also had Favre/Packers and Aikman/Cowboys to deal with, better quality teams that I'd argue Montana didn't have to deal with.  Just my opinion. 

2) I'm going to take back my Kelly-hate somewhat.  I tried to do an honest ranking here, and found I was ranking Kelly somewhere between 12-14, so close to top 10.  But he's not near Marino, in my opinion.

3) I think Rodgers will be on this list within a few years.  He needs more experience, though, so I didn't rank him.

Did I miss something? When did Young win this phantom 2nd Superbowl?
2/15/2013 6:21 PM
Posted by bistiza on 2/15/2013 11:07:00 AM (view original):
I put Bradshaw just ahead of Brady, which means there are a plethora of candidates ahead of both in terms of greatest QBs ever.

Now if you're talking MOST OVER RATED QBs EVER, then they make the top of the list easy:

1. Tom Brady
2. Terry Bradshaw

You seem like a decent guy, but I have to distance myself from you after this thread. I hate Brady and the Pats as much as anyone, but to suggest he's overrated or not a Top 10 all-time QB is just ridiculous. Either you know nothing about football, or you're a massive troll.
2/15/2013 6:24 PM (edited)
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/15/2013 6:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/15/2013 10:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 2/14/2013 11:02:00 PM (view original):
and Burnsy
1) Manning
2) Young
3) Montana
4) Elway
5) Marino
6) Favre
7) Brady
8) Unitas
9) Graham
10) Brees

3 things -  

1) I know I'll get **** for putting Young up there.  But he was the best QB of the 90s.  Period.  Look up the stats.  And he won 2 Super Bowls.  It's hard to do, but if you separate him from Montana, imagine him on another team, and everyone thinks he's top 5.  Young also had Favre/Packers and Aikman/Cowboys to deal with, better quality teams that I'd argue Montana didn't have to deal with.  Just my opinion. 

2) I'm going to take back my Kelly-hate somewhat.  I tried to do an honest ranking here, and found I was ranking Kelly somewhere between 12-14, so close to top 10.  But he's not near Marino, in my opinion.

3) I think Rodgers will be on this list within a few years.  He needs more experience, though, so I didn't rank him.

Did I miss something? When did Young win this phantom 2nd Superbowl?
You're right. My bad.
2/15/2013 6:29 PM
Amazing to me that Aikman is getting so little love.  He won championships, put up good numbers and threw the most asthetically pleasing football ever.  Tcomm was right - tightest spirals ever AND he was extremely accurate.  I've never been a Cowboys fan, and I know he struggled early in his career while he learned on the job, but it would be hard for me to exclude Aikman from a Top 10 list.
2/15/2013 6:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...53|54|55|56|57...85 Next ▸
Patriots 9.5 points favorites over Ravens Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.