Does anyone ever use Booster Gifts?  Any guidelines on the process.  Is it worth trying?
1/25/2013 2:15 AM (edited)
I've had a buddy of mine use them.  Didn't work.  The guys were insulted.  All the advice I have heard is that it is worthless and dangerous.
1/24/2013 5:48 PM
I would say 98% of the coaches I know who use them get caught. I have heard/know 1-2 who use them once in a GREAT while and didn't get caught
1/24/2013 6:43 PM
I asked this question a while back, because I thought it might be "fun" to throw out a little something every once in a while.  All the advice I got was to NOT do it.  Risk is far greater than the reward.
1/24/2013 9:45 PM
It shouldn't be like that if any of you have ever taken a D-1 official visit you would know all about booster gifts and free merchandise . In the real world 98% of teams don't get caught lol.
1/25/2013 12:31 AM
Posted by jfootball88 on 1/25/2013 12:31:00 AM (view original):
It shouldn't be like that if any of you have ever taken a D-1 official visit you would know all about booster gifts and free merchandise . In the real world 98% of teams don't get caught lol.
Correct
1/25/2013 4:14 AM
This was taken from my old GD philosophy.  Things may have changed but hope this helps.

BOOSTER GIFTS ( HOW TO AND WHICH RECRUITS WILL ACCEPT THEM)

OK, First I have to preface this with the fact that I have never used Booster Gifts. I have tried it once or twice but they were not accepted. I wanted to try and see what would happen based on what I have learned from a couple coach's I talked to that use them on a regular basis. Most of this info is from Steve Hoggett. He was pretty successful with them even at Notre Dame. Used right he said you have less than a 10% chance of getting investigated.

Keep in mind if you do get caught using them your Reputation can drop to F making recruiting more difficult and taking a lot longer to move up.

He told me what you look for in Scouting reports to figure out if the recruit may be open to receiving them are a preponderance of negative things in the report such as
Extremely bad temper -- he can't always control himself.
He's not about making sacrifices for the team.
Practically lives at the strip clubs
He's all about the bling
When the groupies come calling, he answers every time.
If we played with a hamburger instead of a pigskin, he'd be an all-star.
Things like this. You are probably not going to have a report with all negatives but here are a couple examples of players that might accept gifts.

1. Above average potential.
Looks a little turned off by practice.
Doesn't like getting shown up out there
He gets very jealous when other players are in the spotlight.
It takes a lot to get him fired up.
A little more restraint in the buffet line would be nice.

2. Looks like he has a hard time making adjustments.
Can he keep his ego in check?
Seemed to be pretty jealous of his roommate's new car
Seems committed to his long-time girlfriend
His temper tends to get the best of him.
He plays for the love of the game.

I don't think this guy would even consider it and would get upset.

Looks like he has a hard time making adjustments.
He's got the work ethic to make strides as an athlete.
Doesn't show much pride in his accomplishments.
He's happy for his teammates when they succeed.
Doesn't seem to have a temper
He doesn't ask for much, just what he needs.

He recommended using the car stereo. If you use better things the likelihood of being investigated increases.

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=388658

1/25/2013 10:49 AM
If they don't work 99% of the time they should just be taken out of the game.
I like the idea of having them, but you should have around a 20% success rate to make it actually a part of the game.
1/25/2013 4:11 PM
Posted by scoobybud on 1/25/2013 10:49:00 AM (view original):
This was taken from my old GD philosophy.  Things may have changed but hope this helps.

BOOSTER GIFTS ( HOW TO AND WHICH RECRUITS WILL ACCEPT THEM)

OK, First I have to preface this with the fact that I have never used Booster Gifts. I have tried it once or twice but they were not accepted. I wanted to try and see what would happen based on what I have learned from a couple coach's I talked to that use them on a regular basis. Most of this info is from Steve Hoggett. He was pretty successful with them even at Notre Dame. Used right he said you have less than a 10% chance of getting investigated.

Keep in mind if you do get caught using them your Reputation can drop to F making recruiting more difficult and taking a lot longer to move up.

He told me what you look for in Scouting reports to figure out if the recruit may be open to receiving them are a preponderance of negative things in the report such as
Extremely bad temper -- he can't always control himself.
He's all about the bling
When the groupies come calling, he answers every time.
Things like this. You are probably not going to have a report with all negatives but here are a couple examples of players that might accept gifts.

1. Above average potential.
Doesn't like getting shown up out there
He gets very jealous when other players are in the spotlight.
It takes a lot to get him fired up.
A little more restraint in the buffet line would be nice.

2. Looks like he has a hard time making adjustments.
Can he keep his ego in check?
Seemed to be pretty jealous of his roommate's new car
His temper tends to get the best of him.
He plays for the love of the game.

I don't think this guy would even consider it and would get upset.

Looks like he has a hard time making adjustments.
He's got the work ethic to make strides as an athlete.
Doesn't show much pride in his accomplishments.
He's happy for his teammates when they succeed.
Doesn't seem to have a temper
He doesn't ask for much, just what he needs.

He recommended using the car stereo. If you use better things the likelihood of being investigated increases.

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=388658

These no longer work as a guide to who will or will not accept booster gifts.  The problem with a vast majority of booster gifts not being accepted started when they were turned off at DIII..
1/25/2013 5:41 PM
Just tried one last season to get a leg up in my first season @ D1 and honestly, I was just plain curious. 

Player was insulted and went to another school at the end of a long battle and my rep dropped to D+. 

NOT WORTH IT!
1/29/2013 8:22 PM
So you actually were investigated and found guilty for a gift that was not accepted?
1/29/2013 11:34 PM
Posted by fluffybear on 1/29/2013 11:34:00 PM (view original):
So you actually were investigated and found guilty for a gift that was not accepted?
Yes you get caught when they don't accept, because 99.9% don't accept
1/30/2013 8:27 AM
When I open a recruits page and go to "Recruit" the part about booster gifts say's "Booster Gifts Unavailable". Does any ones else say that?
1/30/2013 3:50 PM
Mine say that sometimes deen, IDK what determines it I have been meaning to ask it. IDK if after you offer a schol you cant do it anymore or what exactly determines when you can and when you cant use them
1/30/2013 4:54 PM
If you do not have another season available, you do not have the option to use booster gifts.
1/30/2013 5:09 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.