Makes me sick... Topic

I agree with jtpsops. We should teach all religions in schools. It's called having a well-rounded education.

If you don't think it should be taught while they are young, teach it starting in junior high.

2/6/2013 2:06 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 2:06:00 PM (view original):
All of them.

Parents of secular kids are afraid that the minds of their children will be poisoned and lost forever if we expose them to competing viewpoints. God forbid we expose them to the way other people think and live, and then actually have to sit down and discuss it with them. Kids may have wild imaginations, but they are capable of rational thought. Parents can discuss with a 6 year old what they learned and if/why they agree/don't agree with it.

The parents who are actually invested in their children, and aren't relying on the schools to raise and indoctrinate them, can handle this.
ALL of them???

How much time are we going to spend on this? How about we teach kids math/science/reading/writing/etc. and let their parents decide what religion they should learn about. I'm guessing your kids get a perfectly good Christian education at home.

And anyway, in your scenario, the kids are still getting evolution (and not creationism) in science class.
2/6/2013 2:09 PM
"Tec talks about how he pays taxes, so his kids should be taught what he wants/accepts as truth - and yet creationists who pay taxes and send their kids to public school should have no say in the curriculum?"

No, I don't want my kids to be taught only what I want or accept as truth.

I want my kids to be taught whatever is backed by solid and convincing accounts and evidence to most likely be "correct".

Evolution falls into this category.  Creationsim does not.

FWIW, I went to Catholic schools for 12 years.  I was taught evolution.  Creationsim was never offered as a competing theory.  I don't even understand why the **** we are debating it here, other than the fact that we have allowed ourselves to get sucked into the vortex of dumbassery created by the resident crackpot (bistiza) and the apparently new crackpot (jtpsops).
2/6/2013 2:14 PM
That's because I'm not afraid of my children being taught both sides of the equation. You clearly are.

You act like Creationism is a Christian phenomenon. There are plenty of non-religious people in this world who believe in a higher power and Creationism.

What if I said I don't want my children taught evolution in science class? There is PLENTY of science in this world that has nothing to do with the origins of the universe. Would that request be honoured?

We both know the answer.
2/6/2013 2:15 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/6/2013 2:14:00 PM (view original):
"Tec talks about how he pays taxes, so his kids should be taught what he wants/accepts as truth - and yet creationists who pay taxes and send their kids to public school should have no say in the curriculum?"

I want my kids to be taught whatever is backed by solid and convincing accounts and evidence to most likely be "correct".

FWIW, I went to Catholic schools for 12 years.  I was taught evolution.  Creationsim was never offered as a competing theory.  I don't even understand why the **** we are debating it here, other than the fact that we have allowed ourselves to get sucked into the vortex of dumbassery created by the resident crackpot (bistiza) and the apparently new crackpot (jtpsops).
Thank you. It took a while, but thank you. You finally proved my initial point

Anyone who doesn't agree with you is a crackpot. Believing in evolution gives you this false sense of superiority. I don't care what you believe and I've said numerous time no minds will be changed here. I just wanted acknowledgment that you guys think you're inherently wiser and better than those of us who don't share your viewpoint.
2/6/2013 2:16 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 2:15:00 PM (view original):
That's because I'm not afraid of my children being taught both sides of the equation. You clearly are.

You act like Creationism is a Christian phenomenon. There are plenty of non-religious people in this world who believe in a higher power and Creationism.

What if I said I don't want my children taught evolution in science class? There is PLENTY of science in this world that has nothing to do with the origins of the universe. Would that request be honoured?

We both know the answer.
But there is no scientific evidence for creationism. That's why it's not taught in science class.

Just because you (and millions of others) believe something to be true, doesn't mean that there's a rational basis for teaching it in science class.
2/6/2013 2:19 PM
But I don't agree with the evidence supporting evolution, therefore I don't want it taught in science class.
2/6/2013 2:23 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 2:23:00 PM (view original):
But I don't agree with the evidence supporting evolution, therefore I don't want it taught in science class.
You are free to not believe in evolution. My problem with you starts when you try to convince everyone else to be dumb as ****.
2/6/2013 2:25 PM
As opposed to you trying to convince everyone else to "follow the herd"?
2/6/2013 2:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:47:00 PM (view original):
OK, I have to ask.    I often go out of my way to be an *******.   Please confirm that you do the same.
This was for you, badluck.   It's "*******". 
2/6/2013 2:27 PM
For what it's worth, there was a time when people said to Copernicus and Galileo "Dude, the science says the earth is the centre of the universe. Stop trying to convince everyone to be dumb as ****!"
2/6/2013 2:28 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/6/2013 2:14:00 PM (view original):

Thank you. It took a while, but thank you. You finally proved my initial point

Anyone who doesn't agree with you is a crackpot. Believing in evolution gives you this false sense of superiority. I don't care what you believe and I've said numerous time no minds will be changed here. I just wanted acknowledgment that you guys think you're inherently wiser and better than those of us who don't share your viewpoint.
I do not feel wiser or better than anybody.

I do think that creationsim is a crackpot theory because there is no credible evidence to back it up.  It's a religious/faith based concept based upon a literal interpretation of the Bible.  While I do personally believe that there are many, many meaningful things that can be taken from the Bible, a credible fact and evidence based account of the nature and physics of the universe should not be one of them.
2/6/2013 2:32 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 2:29:00 PM (view original):
For what it's worth, there was a time when people said to Copernicus and Galileo "Dude, the science says the earth is the centre of the universe. Stop trying to convince everyone to be dumb as ****!"
And do you know how they made their arguments? They said, "hey, look at all the evidence we have."

Feel free to do the same for a young earth/creationism. 
2/6/2013 2:33 PM
I don't even understand why the **** we are debating it here, other than the fact that we have allowed ourselves to get sucked into the vortex of dumbassery created by the resident crackpot (bistiza) and the apparently new crackpot (jtpsops).

This is just more BS bullying tactics. Throw out an insult because you can't handle the heat of someone who dares to disagree with you so well.

"Anyone who disagrees with me and my majority view is a crackpot! Yeah, that's it, crackpot's a good insult! We'll go with that!"

If all you've got are childish insults, then you possess zero debate skills.
Don't bother with this - I already pointed it out using this exact example and they dismissed it out of hand because that's convenient for their argument.

2/6/2013 2:34 PM
Tec - I put my faith in God, you put your faith in science. Either way, it's faith.

As the Bible says, "Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see."

That applies equally to evolutionists as it does to creationists.
2/6/2013 2:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.